We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Ulster Bank BEWARE

1…6791112

Comments

  • I've just opened an Ulster savings account but now having second thoughts! Will there be any issues without an Ulster current account? 
  • thevoid69 said:
    I've just opened an Ulster savings account but now having second thoughts! Will there be any issues without an Ulster current account? 
    No. You will need to install the app and register for biometrics though to make withdrawals of over £750
  • Topiary
    Topiary Posts: 158
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    How long from saver application incl biometrics check before you can make 1st deposit? Am at day 2 have downloaded app but unable to provide PIN security check as not given a pin yet. Thanks
  • Tommaso46
    Tommaso46 Posts: 125
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Biometrics checks are a PITA. I've never had to do this (YET) when opening a bank account.

  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 6,490
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 5 November 2025 at 11:57AM
    Tommaso46 said:
    Biometrics checks are a PITA. I've never had to do this (YET) when opening a bank account.

    What are you referring to? The picture and the voice recording? I don’t think they were difficult, not using my phone anyway. This is standard with NatWest Group banks.
  • Tommaso46
    Tommaso46 Posts: 125
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I avoid app-based bank accounts. I have security concerns about them. Furthermore, biometrics checks are not required for web-based accounts, which for me  is an advantage.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,692
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Tommaso46 said:
    I avoid app-based bank accounts. I have security concerns about them. Furthermore, biometrics checks are not required for web-based accounts, which for me  is an advantage.
    What makes web browsers better than apps?
  • Tommaso46
    Tommaso46 Posts: 125
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I prefer them- because I do all my banking stuff at home, on my computer - on a big screen. But that's just my personal preference
  • Tommaso46 said:
    I prefer them- because I do all my banking stuff at home, on my computer - on a big screen. But that's just my personal preference
    I'm guessing you don't have to manage many  accounts then. Managing tens of current and savings accounts online is totally impractical if relying solely on their website access. 
  • Tommaso46
    Tommaso46 Posts: 125
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Wow - are you managing tens of current and savings accounts? You must be rolling in ££££££
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.