Amazon Prime Video to start showing ads unless you pay an extra monthly fee

Options
MSE_Molly_G
MSE_Molly_G Posts: 85 MSE Staff
First Post Name Dropper
edited 27 December 2023 at 3:53PM in TV MoneySaving
Amazon Prime Video will start showing adverts from 5 February 2024 unless you pay an extra £2.99 a month, the online giant has announced.

Amazon Prime Video to start showing ads unless you pay an extra monthly fee - here's what's happening

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I saw that, still unsure if I'll cough up or more likely wait & see how it goes. I use freevee on there, with ads, and find very few ads appear
    if it turns out like Now TV with trailers regardless of paying to opt out, then I'll be gone
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Farway said:
    if it turns out like Now TV with trailers regardless of paying to opt out, then I'll be gone

Yeah, it tells you that will be the case on the website:
    https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost - "If you upgrade to Boost, you won't see ads when you watch on-demand shows, movies and sport. You'll still see promotional trailers for shows, movies and events you can access, as well as ads that appear on live channels."
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So, you stay at your current rate (£8.99) and get a degraded service.
    Or you pay an extra 33% (£2.99) and still get a degraded service.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Alternatively, decide that they can take a hike and you can save £8.99 and have more spare time as you wont be watching the telly as much  :)
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • JSmithy45AD
    Options
    Farway said:
    I saw that, still unsure if I'll cough up or more likely wait & see how it goes. I use freevee on there, with ads, and find very few ads appear
    Prime already has trailers which are instantly skippable.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 30 December 2023 at 11:36AM
    Options
    Farway said:
    Prime already has trailers which are instantly skippable.
    Agreed and I skip them, but NOW are not

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I cancelled a seven months before they increased the Prime subscription to £95. I recently got a free 30 day trial to get faster delivery on a couple of items I bought but cancelled it after a week. £35.88 to stop the adverts, I could see some cancel their £8.99 monthly subscription and people cancelling their yearly subscriptions if they add the adverts before the yearly subscription ends.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I will always go for the cheapest option if that includes ads so be it, have way of not allowing them to interput a show/movie.
  • ImranQ
    ImranQ Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 January at 11:15AM
    Options
    wild666 said:
    I cancelled a seven months before they increased the Prime subscription to £95. I recently got a free 30 day trial to get faster delivery on a couple of items I bought but cancelled it after a week. £35.88 to stop the adverts, I could see some cancel their £8.99 monthly subscription and people cancelling their yearly subscriptions if they add the adverts before the yearly subscription ends.
    My Prime renews on 22 March. Just got an email saying that they will start showing Ads on my videos from 5th Feb. Umming about cancelling .. will see..
    Prime delivery is very useful in terms of quick delivery and they do have the occasional good show too (will be ruined by ads now) ... lots to weigh up..

TBH wouldnt really be surprised if at some point if they start saying that Prime delivery will now be delayed by 1-2 days - you have to pay £3 extra per month for normal delivery (hoping their sales/marketing arent reading this!).
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,601 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 January at 11:39AM
    Options
    I have never seen the benefit of Prime TV when you invariably find something you'd like to watch and you have to pay extra for it, when you've already paid the subscription fee.
    I only get Prime when they offer a free 30 day trial. I take it, place an order, as I invariably have something waiting in my basket, then immediately cancel membership as it continues to run for the trial period. I've done this many times, and their systems haven't yet decided it's not worth offering me free trials any longer, so I'll just wait for the next trial offer to come my way. :)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback