Do I have any rights, xmas present return without receipt?

124»

Comments

• Personally I just see it as a wild goose chase, a Selfridges bag isn't going to cut it.
    Sell on ebay and hope it's not a Jekyll.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Not Selfridges but Asda, possible Selfridges offer a similar level of customer service.

I bought a DVD in Asda, didn't realise I'd bought the £25 version rather than the £10 one, by the time I'd realised I'd binned the receipt. 

As I could tell Asda what date I'd been in and roughly what time, they could trace the receipt to confirm I did buy it through them, matching the card details, they were then happy to refund to my card.
    The difference here is that OP wasn't the original purchaser, whereas you were in your case.  Even if Selfridges were willing and able to trace the payment details given the date and time, OP still has no consumer rights.  Selfridges' policy might be to give store credit in those circumstances but if OP needs to contact his brother to get the time and date in the first place, surely he could just get the card statement from him, anyway?  Unless he paid in cash, of course.

Anyway, Selfridges supposedly have £500 from a genuine customer who reports no problem with the product.  At what is probably their busiest period, I can see why they might not be bothered about playing detective to help out someone who has no contractual relationship to them.
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 December 2023 at 6:51PM
    Not Selfridges but Asda, possible Selfridges offer a similar level of customer service.

I bought a DVD in Asda, didn't realise I'd bought the £25 version rather than the £10 one, by the time I'd realised I'd binned the receipt. 

As I could tell Asda what date I'd been in and roughly what time, they could trace the receipt to confirm I did buy it through them, matching the card details, they were then happy to refund to my card.
    But the OP would be asking for much more than you did.

They would be asking for a refund of a purchase made at an unknown time 'a few days ago' in the busiest days of the year by someone else on someone else's bank card whose card number, expiry date etc. they did not know. Quite a big ask, especially since they would not want the refund to be to the card it was purchased on but in some other form more easily convertible to goods!

...and not for a tenner, but for £500. I think even your ASDA would struggle with that.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    pw23 said:
    the new model is expected to come out next year 

At some point you have to accept the model that is available "now", whenever "now" is.
    There is always a newer, better model just around the corner.
    Always waiting for the new model is the key to being the richest in the graveyard.
    The OP seems to be applying the Osborne Effect to an absolute position
  • OP has asked brother for a receipt - brother already disposed of receipts. 

Thanks, missed that bit :) 
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    pw23 said:
    Yesterday got the overly priced £500 Airpods max as a gift but as i don't have the receipt selfridges wont refund or exchange them 
    (According tto their live chat)
    They were bought from their London store a few days ago

i even tried apple but they wont

Don't want them as they can't be turned off and the new model is expected to come out next year 
    the buyer has gone back to their home country now so no receipt 

is ebay my only option?
    Which hurts as new ones are listed for £200 - £350 buy it niw

i was hoping selfridges would link the serial number to verify the purchase

Without a receipt do i have any rights?
    When a item is bought as a gift for Christmas is there not a extended return date at time of purchase.
    Did he use a credit card to pay he might be able to provide a statement 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,371 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 December 2023 at 9:44AM
    35har1old said:

When a item is bought as a gift for Christmas is there not a extended return date at time of purchase.
    Which requires a receipt of gift receipt if a gift. No mention of how paid. But even with a Statement.

Look at this from a retailers perspective. High value item, no receipt. Not bought by the person returning. What would you do?
    Life in the slow lane
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    35har1old said:
    pw23 said:
    Yesterday got the overly priced £500 Airpods max as a gift but as i don't have the receipt selfridges wont refund or exchange them 
    (According tto their live chat)
    They were bought from their London store a few days ago

i even tried apple but they wont

Don't want them as they can't be turned off and the new model is expected to come out next year 
    the buyer has gone back to their home country now so no receipt 

is ebay my only option?
    Which hurts as new ones are listed for £200 - £350 buy it niw

i was hoping selfridges would link the serial number to verify the purchase

Without a receipt do i have any rights?
    Only if the retailer is offering those terms.

Anything above and beyond the purchaser's statutory rights is offered on whatever terms (if any) the retailer may choose to offer. If they do offer such benefits then they form part of the contract and are enforceable by the purchaser (not the recipient of the gift as they have no contract with the retailer). 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback