Do I have any rights, xmas present return without receipt?

Comments

• the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,520 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 December 2023 at 4:32PM
    elsien said:
    Even with the receipt there is only a right to return if they are faulty. Which is unclear from your post. If it is just a change of mind because you want to wait for the newer model, then whoever bought them would be relying on the goodwill of the store. And they tend to want to refund to which ever payment method they were bought on, which would also be difficult if paid by card and the card is not yours. 
    Whilst there aren't any consumer rights to change your mind for in store, if the store offers returns in addition that forms part of the contract.

Offering such a policy is goodwill but where such is offered, abiding by it isn't goodwill but rather a contractual obligation :) 

OP if you want to avoid hard feelings you could ask for the receipt in case anything goes wrong with them. 

With regards to values on eBay, there's a lot of fake products on eBay (and no doubt Amazon, Facebook and anywhere else) are you sure you are comparing like for like? 

£400 cash via Facebook would probably be best if that price tag is achievable. 
  • pw23 said:
    elsien said:
    Why do you want an exchange? Exchange for what? 

Ideally I want a credit note as understand a refund is not an option as im not the one who purchased and don't have the receipt 

will going to store I improve my chances of a credit note?
    Almost certainly. Online staff normally just deal with online orders and everything else gets the formal policy. But if your local store isn’t the store that it was bought from then I think it’s an uphill battle. 
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,602 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 December 2023 at 5:06PM
    pw23 said:
    elsien said:
    Why do you want an exchange? Exchange for what? 

Ideally I want a credit note as understand a refund is not an option as im not the one who purchased and don't have the receipt 

will going to store I improve my chances of a credit note?
    How else would you get a credit note? Posting the item isn't really an option.

Also is there a Selfridges' price ticket on the item or a barcode which would tie up with their stock list as a Selfridges' bag is no proof of anything.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • elsien said:
    Even with the receipt there is only a right to return if they are faulty. Which is unclear from your post. If it is just a change of mind because you want to wait for the newer model, then whoever bought them would be relying on the goodwill of the store. And they tend to want to refund to which ever payment method they were bought on, which would also be difficult if paid by card and the card is not yours. 
    Whilst there aren't any consumer rights to change your mind for in store, if the store offers returns in addition that forms part of the contract.

Offering such a policy is goodwill but where such is offered, abiding by it isn't goodwill but rather a contractual obligation :) 

OP if you want to avoid hard feelings you could ask for the receipt in case anything goes wrong with them. 

With regards to values on eBay, there's a lot of fake products on eBay (and no doubt Amazon, Facebook and anywhere else) are you sure you are comparing like for like? 

£400 cash via Facebook would probably be best if that price tag is achievable. 
    OP has asked brother for a receipt - brother already disposed of receipts. 

If there isn’t a proof of purchase then (as per their FAQ’s) then there’s nothing they can do. OP may be able to take a credit card statement in but this isn’t actually proof of purchase - just a purchase was made (as it’s not itemised). 

• MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I can't see how the shop would risk taking back anything without a receipt - the person accepting it has no way of know whether it is the original item bought in the shop or a counterfeit alternative (which can be very convincing nowadays). 

As suggested above, a copy of. debit/credit card statement showing the purchase *may* help sway someone in the shop, but I still think the chance are low. Unless the box has a barcode with a serial number that can can be traced back to stock the shop previously held?
  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 719 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 26 December 2023 at 4:53PM
    Many stores will accept proof of purchase such as a debit or credit card statement so ask your brother to send that to you as he is unlikely to have paid cash?  I'm not sure I fully believe he threw the receipt away as he would now that would be needed of there is a warranty issue.  I have a sneaky feeling you haven't even told him
  • I think the problem will be that the goods could have been bought anywhere.  Without proof of purchase, I doubt that you will get a credit note. Your only chance would be for your brother to download a copy of his credit card statement showing a payment of £500 to Selfridges, although that could have  been for any product., so might not be accepted.   Unfortunately stores often get this situation where unscrupulous people try to get refunds/credit for stolen goods, I’m not saying this is the case here, but be prepared to be rejected.
  • I was wondering if brother lives abroad and has returned abroad whether, in fact, he bought them duty free? 
  • Not Selfridges but Asda, possible Selfridges offer a similar level of customer service.

I bought a DVD in Asda, didn't realise I'd bought the £25 version rather than the £10 one, by the time I'd realised I'd binned the receipt. 

As I could tell Asda what date I'd been in and roughly what time, they could trace the receipt to confirm I did buy it through them, matching the card details, they were then happy to refund to my card.
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport