Using Chase as donor/dummy accounts for Current Account Switching

Options
Small trick I discovered if you want to create some dummy accounts for Current Account Switching to get the switch premiums.

1. Open a bank account with Chase through their app
2. In the app, open a second account
3. Link the debit card with the second account
4. Use that second account as a donor account for your Current Account Switch

Repeat steps 2-4 as often as you want.

The benefit here is that only the second account will be closed, you will still keep the first account. So you can basically create unlimited donor accounts within seconds. This is not the case for all banks, for example I asked Starling and they said if you switch away from them they will close all of your accounts even if you have multiple.

Comments

• AmityNeon
    Options
    Do you lose the debit card during the switch, or can you relink to another account afterwards?
  • Clicker9180
    Options
    It automatically gets linked to the first account again. I'm not even sure if step 3 (linking the card to the second account) is really necessary, but normally the new bank will ask you for your card number.
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    TClicker9180 said:
    Small trick I discovered if you want to create some dummy accounts for Current Account Switching to get the switch premiums.

1. Open a bank account with Chase through their app
    2. In the app, open a second account
    3. Link the debit card with the second account
    4. Use that second account as a donor account for your Current Account Switch

The benefit here is that only the second account will be closed, you will still keep the first account. So you can basically create unlimited donor accounts within seconds. This is not the case for all banks, for example I asked Starling and they said if you switch away from them they will close all of your accounts even if you have multiple.
    Thanks for the above information finally convinced me to open an account with Chase

Opened my first Chase account in minutes, so simple

Deposited £10 from my main account and was there instantly 

Now my next task is goodbye Barclays 
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I wouldn't try it too many times, especially in quick succession, otherwise Chase might realise that you're taking the proverbial and close all your accounts.  
  • cj10
    cj10 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I’ve used Chase as a donor account in this way four times in the last six weeks. No issues at all, so far.
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think Chase is the easiest account I have opened out a dozen or more

Opened at 1pm, authorised the card in my Apple wallet, deposited funds,  spent at Tesco on the card by 3 o'clock 

All very straight forward 
  • Rawrzy
    Rawrzy Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 8 December 2023 at 5:32PM
    Options
    You don't need to link the debit card to the account you're switching, it really doesn't matter. You don't even need to enter the debit card either in the switch to be honest. It just works regardless. I've done a few switches out now from Chase, all very simple, and they keep you up to date even when the bank you're switching to doesn't, lol.
  • Clicker9180
    Options
    Rawrzy said:
    You don't need to link the debit card to the account you're switching, it really doesn't matter. You don't even need to enter the debit card either in the switch to be honest. It just works regardless. I've done a few switches out now from Chase, all very simple, and they keep you up to date even when the bank you're switching to doesn't, lol.

Well I've lost my £175 from Barclays because the debit card number had a typo and they cancelled the switch 1 day after the deadline... Good to know that you can just skip it!
  • Organgrinder
    Options
    Just a matter of interest.....for the direct debits, do they need to have been used or just set up? eg...if i add two direct debits today could i switch today?
  • tiger70
    tiger70 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a matter of interest.....for the direct debits, do they need to have been used or just set up? eg...if i add two direct debits today could i switch today?
    Wait till the 2 dd's show up in the account, that's what I normally do .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback