EDF readings through the roof e7 this mornings after update

Cazella
Cazella Posts: 38
Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
Got up at 6 this morning and readings on ihd said I’d used 59 kw😳😳😳!0nly had 2 storage heaters 1.7 x2 and water heater one hour only at 3kw. So by that time 20kw plus freezer.daily useage  is normally 30 kw by 8am and extra 4 on day rate.rang up and told to unplug display and put back on after 15 mins and it should reset.it didn’t . still showing false readings.so rang back again a minute ago and said they’d had an update go through and is causing problems and will take time for display to recognise it so to turn it off tonight switch it back on in the morning and it should show correct useage🤔.so if anyone else has been giving a shock they are aware.impossible for me to read smart meter outside as 8 feet off the ground and also hub only showing to 2 nd December so can’t see where it spiked either.and absolutely nothing else on in the house .i went round and checked all the switches.hope it’s sorted by tmrw, ! 🤞

Comments

• ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,605
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    And they still expect us to accept smart meters while they pedal our this short of unreliable untrustworthy bug ridden garbage?  No thank you I will be hanging on to my dumb meter until the law says otherwise.
  • MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Posts: 2,744
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 7 December 2023 at 10:43AM
    ProDave said:
    And they still expect us to accept smart meters while they pedal our this short of unreliable untrustworthy bug ridden garbage?  No thank you I will be hanging on to my dumb meter until the law says otherwise.
    The very definition of cutting your nose off to spite your face with many saving over 25% off their bills this year.

Carry on you can obviously afford it and love giving all that money to the energy suppliers, producers and extra tax 👍
    "I can lead you to the money saving well but cannot make you drink from it"

As mum always said "don't respond to imbeciles just ignore them" wise words mum 
  • ProDave said:
    Whilst I am looking forward to having a SM sometime soon and making some savings I am apprehensive when I read tales of woe like the OP.  People who participate in these forums are a very small proportion of energy consumers in the market.  Most people who are happily satisfied with whatever type of meter/supply they have will not be here.  Most people who are having problems like the OP and others we read about also will not be posting here.  Out of the people who do post about problems it strikes me that there are more having issues with their SMs than with the old mechanical meters, so the quote from @ProDave does not surprise me.  Nor does the reply from @MultiFuelBurner who is a great advocate for the advantages & benefits of a properly working SM system.  And other numerous forum members who have no problems put forward a very positive stance & continually (& patiently) reassure people that the IHD is NOT their SM, their FDD is NOT their bill. 

I think many of us who don't (yet) have SMs, are not frightened of them or mistrustful that they are "spies" but are reading both sides of the story presented here and perhaps hesitating on the "it ain't broke don't fix it" tightrope.  There are a few who will never accept the merits of SMs - but of course they probably did not intially want anything to do with the internet "spy" in their homes, the smartphone revolution but now are quite at home with these forms of technology.  When domestic electric lighting was first introduced some people were terrified of it!  Times change.  We advance.  We move on.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 4,980
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 7 December 2023 at 11:04AM
    I use https://energy.guylipman.com/sm/home to track my usage. Nice graphs and also includes a bill calculator and you don't need to be an octopus customer.

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,612
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ProDave said:And they still expect us to accept smart meters while they pedal our this short of unreliable untrustworthy bug ridden garbage?  No thank you I will be hanging on to my dumb meter until the law says otherwise.
    The OP said they haven't checked their smart meter.   So, why you are linking their comments to the smart meter?

hope it’s sorted by tmrw, ! 🤞
    Have you tried third party options, such as Bright?    

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ProDave said:
    But the OPs issue isn't to do with the smart meter - it's to do with the IHD?  In fact, they have categorically stated that due to the position of the meter, they are unable to check that - and this was presumably the same before they had a smart meter fitted there. 

Meter = smart or otherwise - the box on the wall which meters the actual use of energy
    IHD = the little unit probably in the kitchen with an LCD screen and lots of information that can sometimes be helpful for those wishing to monitor their use via it, but which should NOT be relied on as a source of solid information.
    Two different things. 

Pseudodox - your best bet as and when your SMs come along would almost certainly be to rely on a third party app rather than the IHD for any energy monitoring you wished to do. Alternatively, if you should happen to be with Octopus, their Home Mini device does a rather good job of essentially turning their app into a real-time monitor. Very handy. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • pseudodox said:
    ProDave said:
    Whilst I am looking forward to having a SM sometime soon and making some savings I am apprehensive when I read tales of woe like the OP.  People who participate in these forums are a very small proportion of energy consumers in the market.  Most people who are happily satisfied with whatever type of meter/supply they have will not be here.  Most people who are having problems like the OP and others we read about also will not be posting here.  Out of the people who do post about problems it strikes me that there are more having issues with their SMs than with the old mechanical meters, so the quote from @ProDave does not surprise me.  Nor does the reply from @MultiFuelBurner who is a great advocate for the advantages & benefits of a properly working SM system.  And other numerous forum members who have no problems put forward a very positive stance & continually (& patiently) reassure people that the IHD is NOT their SM, their FDD is NOT their bill. 

I think many of us who don't (yet) have SMs, are not frightened of them or mistrustful that they are "spies" but are reading both sides of the story presented here and perhaps hesitating on the "it ain't broke don't fix it" tightrope.  There are a few who will never accept the merits of SMs - but of course they probably did not intially want anything to do with the internet "spy" in their homes, the smartphone revolution but now are quite at home with these forms of technology.  When domestic electric lighting was first introduced some people were terrified of it!  Times change.  We advance.  We move on.
    That was balanced nicely put...yeah I cannot hide my enthusiasm and more importantly I just want people to save money. This is MSE after all

We do generally get just the problems here needing advice with the very odd thread that says "wow" it's working and I'm off to the canary islands with my savings for Christmas (now there's a thought)

IHD's even from my enthusiastic position are binable for me. I will use third party apps like Hugo/Loop and bright to show me my 30 minute usage and now my Octopus mini which makes things even easier. 

Sadly I cannot defend the relentless simplifying of the IHD with the idiotic Einstein adverts (they wind me up as much as the next person) 

• pseudodox
    pseudodox Posts: 262
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I see an IHD on prominent display at a friend I visit.  Makes me want to throw something at it! When my SM arrives the IHD will go straight in the bin!

My go to monitor will always be my own eyes checking the meter (at least weekly, often daily) - whilst happy to make savings I am not going to be looking at every kWh I am using & measuring historical data against current.  I use what I need, whenever, whatever - my year on year consumption rarely varies & there is no use crying over past cheap energy that we all took for granted.  Once my variable monthly bill is paid, the slate is clean & I move on.  Yes my past usage is archived on a spreadsheet but there are far more interesting things in my life to look back on!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,612
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    pseudodox said:
    ProDave said:

That was balanced nicely put...yeah I cannot hide my enthusiasm and more importantly I just want people to save money. This is MSE after all

We do generally get just the problems here needing advice with the very odd thread that says "wow" it's working and I'm off to the canary islands with my savings for Christmas (now there's a thought)

IHD's even from my enthusiastic position are binable for me. I will use third party apps like Hugo/Loop and bright to show me my 30 minute usage and now my Octopus mini which makes things even easier. 

Sadly I cannot defend the relentless simplifying of the IHD with the idiotic Einstein adverts (they wind me up as much as the next person) 
    I was very disappointed with the supplier IHD.   It is so dumbed down and wastes so much space for over sized graphics that I didnt bother with it.   I bought the glowmarkt IHD though which does provide useful data all on one screen (current draw, today so far, week so far, month so far, and a bars showing 30 minute use over the last 24 hours)     

However, we use around 60kWh a day and having info on hand to ensure the E7 time hasnt slipped or the PHEV is charging early because its lost its internet connection can make a lot of monetary difference and buying a decent third party IHD is viable for us.    However, for a more typical low use household, it wouldn't be.  
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh said:
    pseudodox said:
    ProDave said:

I was very disappointed with the supplier IHD.   It is so dumbed down and wastes so much space for over sized graphics that I didnt bother with it.   I bought the glowmarkt IHD though which does provide useful data all on one screen (current draw, today so far, week so far, month so far, and a bars showing 30 minute use over the last 24 hours)     

However, we use around 60kWh a day and having info on hand to ensure the E7 time hasnt slipped or the PHEV is charging early because its lost its internet connection can make a lot of monetary difference and buying a decent third party IHD is viable for us.    However, for a more typical low use household, it wouldn't be.  
    Nice, yeah the key is working out what works for you. You prefere the Glowmkt, others prefer phone apps. As long as the smart meter is there for the 30 min reads we all go and do our thing with that data to get the cheapest day we can from the energy suppliers.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback