Anyone else had a random water bill from Thames Water

Options
We have been on water meters with Thames water at our previous property 2007-2022 and also in our new property since. We have always received 6 monthly bills, which is online with their published guidance (such as page 4 of https://www.thameswater.co.uk/media-library/home/about-us/performance/customer-commitment/codes-of-practice/our-charges-your-bills-code-of-practice.pdf as one example).

We have suddenly received a quarterly bill, 3 months after the last, with no notes to say why it’s early, or if it’s a permanent change to their billing and just wondered if anyone else has has similar?

Comments

• Runner_Duck
    Options
    Exactly the same happened to me.  I emailed them, complained and they cancelled the random bill.  I never received a sensible answer as to why they made this change.
  • Yoges
    Yoges Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I received a random quarterly bill from them yesterday despite paying every six months for the past 20 years, so the practice is still continuing...

I wonder if automatically moving customers to quarterly billing is an attempt to mask their sharp bill rises?
  • Yoges
    Yoges Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I’ve spoken to one of their staff and was told they changed the billing frequency to synchronise with their meter readers. This is only a one off and will then revert to 6 monthly thereafter.

Would have been nice if that was mentioned in the covering letting though…

• Thatsnotgonewell
    Options
    Same here.  Bills have been April and October for as long as I can remember.  An unexpected bill landed in January.  Initially was told it could be switched back and they'd cancelled the bill, but then just got another duplicate bill a few days later.  Then I was told it was completely impossible for TW to change, and that they "don't have to notify their customers".
    I think it's outrageous that they can just unilaterally change the billing cycle with no prior notice at all.  
    I've complained about the lack of any reasonable notice of the change and Thames Water won't budge, so I've referred the complaint to the Consumer Council for Water.

I know TW are almost insolvent - but if this is a tactic to get more money in sooner, it's a pretty low blow.
  • Jasp1234
    Options
    Same - spoke to TW about the lack of notification and was told that this is "on the way", and sincere apologies if the bill arrived before the notification. However they are moving the 6 monthly cycle to January and July from April and October. "I want to make sure I dont get a bill in April" ... "no sir, that wont happen, next bill is in July" .. watch this space
  • Thatsnotgonewell
    Options
    Jasp1234 said:
    Same - spoke to TW about the lack of notification and was told that this is "on the way", and sincere apologies if the bill arrived before the notification. However they are moving the 6 monthly cycle to January and July from April and October. "I want to make sure I dont get a bill in April" ... "no sir, that wont happen, next bill is in July" .. watch this space
    I was initially told that notifications were being sent to customers, but then later was told that they are NOT doing that because they "don't need to tell our customers".  So will be interesting to know if you ever do get a written notification, even if it is after the event.  They told me I won't get one.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yoges said:

I’ve spoken to one of their staff and was told they changed the billing frequency to synchronise with their meter readers. This is only a one off and will then revert to 6 monthly thereafter.

I had this excuse. I think they are just desperate for cash.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,679 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    richardw said:
    Yoges said:

Or maybe, rather than some conspiracy theory, they were told to synchronise billing and meter reads by Ofwat...
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    richardw said:
    Yoges said:

Or maybe, rather than some conspiracy theory, they were told to synchronise billing and meter reads by Ofwat...
    Do you have an OfWat link?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback