Money Moral Dilemma: Should I ask for money if people charge their electric cars when they visit?

189101113

Comments

  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 November 2023 at 12:34PM


    It seems the EV has created a gap in the normal social conventions, which I presume why this tread was started.


    I disagree. This is a hypothetical scenario posted by MSE to attract hits. Aka click-bait.

    And it worked.

    Where it does happen in the real world, undoubtedly the friends/families work things out between them without even the tiniest bit of the drama that has been suggested would happen in this thread.
    So it is a hypothetical scenario but does happen in the real world.

    OK er, I am not sure how anyone can respond to that, but I'll try.
    It does initially appear it can't be both.
    It's definition suggests hypothetical to mean imagined or suggested but not necessarily true or real.
    To state it is both is a contradiction.

    When the original question is raised, it doesn't sound like it's hypothetical.
    "Given the massive rise in energy prices over the last couple of years, I've been wondering whether I should ask family and friends to contribute to my bills when they charge their electric cars at my home when they visit? I have a petrol car and when l visit others I obviously wouldn’t ask them to fill it up for me, so I’m not sure what the right thing to do is"

    It's written when not if, which suggests it's happening and not about to or might happen which would be if.
     
    Also, by the evidence already posted some EV owners do actually do this, so it's real and true.
    So I will make the point to write it's not a hypothetical scenario.


    Yes, some friends and family do working things out together, but then it's as true a statement to write some friends and families fall out big time over the smallest things.

    There is no right or wrong answer, there are choices and opinions. 
    Some choose to, some don't.
    That doesn't mean some are cheapskate freeloaders and others tight miserable gits.

    Some EV owners suggest they do it, some EV owners have also suggested they don't or wouldn't.

    There are arguments for and against, that doesn't make one right and one wrong, if you own an EV or not.

    I suggested if it isn't necessary anymore (but it may have been in the past) and if you aren't sure of someone's situation, just don't do it or ask to do it even if they offer.

    That seems like a logical solution that keeps everyone happy even if it's only a little thing.

    In fact it I think it shows some compassion to the host as I am happy to visit without any demands or favours and nothing to work out between us when I leave.

  • misimp
    misimp Posts: 51 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Herzlos said:
    misimp said:
    Herzlos

    Of course I would allow them to BUY petrol at cost

    I wouldn't, however, be happy for them to fill up and pay me what THEY decided
    But they are essentially the same thing. You can calculate pretty accurately what it costs to provide the fuel; it's basically (power consumed [as told by car or smart meter] x kwh rate [as on your tariff] x 1.2 [to account for efficiency loss)
    misimp said:
    I willingly put friends and family up on a regular basis. I also ferry them around on days out, to restaurants, to pubs whilst their EV sits in my driveway

    I wouldn't ask for or expect (nor have I ever been offered) any payment, petrol money for their stays

    I don't think wifey is being unreasonable to draw the line at paying their fuel costs

    I don't think they are logically any different - you spend money so your guests can visit you, whether that's in heating, water, driving, food, wine, etc. Adding a few quid for a car charge shouldn't be that big a deal. It's probably a rounding error in the total expense of the visit.

    So yeah, I think you're both being a bit miserly.
    OK, We agree to differ

    I fins it strange that you don't consider the EV driver to be 'miserly' not visiting the fast charger 300 yds away or for not offering to pay for the convenience of using a home charger at someone else's home, but there we go
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    misimp said:
    Herzlos said:
    misimp said:
    Herzlos

    Of course I would allow them to BUY petrol at cost

    I wouldn't, however, be happy for them to fill up and pay me what THEY decided
    But they are essentially the same thing. You can calculate pretty accurately what it costs to provide the fuel; it's basically (power consumed [as told by car or smart meter] x kwh rate [as on your tariff] x 1.2 [to account for efficiency loss)
    misimp said:
    I willingly put friends and family up on a regular basis. I also ferry them around on days out, to restaurants, to pubs whilst their EV sits in my driveway

    I wouldn't ask for or expect (nor have I ever been offered) any payment, petrol money for their stays

    I don't think wifey is being unreasonable to draw the line at paying their fuel costs

    I don't think they are logically any different - you spend money so your guests can visit you, whether that's in heating, water, driving, food, wine, etc. Adding a few quid for a car charge shouldn't be that big a deal. It's probably a rounding error in the total expense of the visit.

    So yeah, I think you're both being a bit miserly.
    OK, We agree to differ

    I fins it strange that you don't consider the EV driver to be 'miserly' not visiting the fast charger 300 yds away or for not offering to pay for the convenience of using a home charger at someone else's home, but there we go

    I'm assuming the EV driver will be offering to pay for the electricity used to charge. It'd be a bit cheap to expect to charge to free.  That said, if was only a few quid I'd refuse the payment.
  • misimp
    misimp Posts: 51 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 November 2023 at 1:48AM
    Herzlos

    Point taken but as I said in my first post

    'My wife refuses point blank to allow her relative to charge up for FREE when they visit around 3/4 times a year.

     +

     d)They said a full charge would only cost us 'a couple of quid' whereas using a charging point down the road was 'far too expensive'

    +

     I think anyone who expects FREE electric has  a brass neck'

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    In those particular circumstances I tend to agree with wifey (It's safer that way). :-))
  • It would cost about 60-70p an hour to charge an EV depending on your tariff, assuming a "granny charger" so treat accordingly.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,314 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It would cost about 60-70p an hour to charge an EV depending on your tariff, assuming a "granny charger" so treat accordingly.
    Closer to 80-85p p/h with a 3kW charger.
  • Jenni_D
    Jenni_D Posts: 5,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you could get 3kW ... my granny lead typically gives me 1.8kW (which is nearer 8A), so would be around 48-49p per hour. 3kW would be up to 13A which is highly unlikely - 10A would be a more realistic maximum so 2.3kW. That would equate to around 62p per hour.
    Jenni x
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,314 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 16 November 2023 at 2:28PM
    Jenni_D said:
    If you could get 3kW ... my granny lead typically gives me 1.8kW (which is nearer 8A), so would be around 48-49p per hour. 3kW would be up to 13A which is highly unlikely - 10A would be a more realistic maximum so 2.3kW. That would equate to around 62p per hour.
    Not highly unlikely; I suggest you do further reading or get a better charger.

    I currently charge using a 13A granny charger and the car confirms a consistent 3kWh charge. Last night I charged the car's 77kWh battery from 40-80% in a touch over 12 hours, providing (according to the EEVEE app) 30.8kWh of energy. I did not have an energy monitor connected, but I've estimated this was at a cost of between 36 and 38kWh of actual usage (since there are losses involved in charging) and the change in my electricity meter confirms that is in the right ballpark when I take other loads into account.
  • Jenni_D
    Jenni_D Posts: 5,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 16 November 2023 at 2:28PM
    Your house, your risk. But I'm certain that I'd not want something drawing a constant 13A from any 3-pin outlet, definitely not for several hours. So I'm perfectly happy at 1.8kW charge rate for the rare times I need to use the granny lead (which is the official MG one that came with the car). :) 
    Jenni x
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,314 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Jenni_D said:
    Your house, your risk. But I'm certain that I'd not want something drawing a constant 13A from any 3-pin outlet, definitely not for several hours. So I'm perfectly happy at 1.8kW charge rate for the rare times I need to use the granny lead (which is the official MG one that came with the car). :) 

    I was going to say I'd not want to risk having an MG connected to my house :smiley: , but a colleague has an MG4 EV and its a nice looking car.

    I'm fortunate in that the socket I use is connected directly through a wall to a slave consumer unit in our garage, with the cable run easily being less than one foot, and it hardly gets warm to the touch even after hours of use with the granny charger.


Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards