Splitting the bill

12346»

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Pollycat said:
    maman said:
    In my experience, the restaurant makes up one bill and then the group decides how they are going to pay. 

For example, it used to be the case that everyone put their share of cash down. Nowadays it's more often each member of the group or couples ask the staff to 'take x off this card'. Sometimes we've given cash to one member of the group who then pays the whole bill from a card. This happens with a friend who lives in the back of beyond and rarely gets to an ATM.🤣
    How does that work when someone (possibly conveniently) forgets about that aperitif and the liqueur coffer they had?
    Depends if you are splitting it proportionally or exactly what each person had. Presumably if the later then the last person gets told the remainder is £5 (or whatever) above what they were expecting and either they pay it or say that's wrong and then there is a further review and errant coffee drinker puts in the extra £5 they'd forgotten about. 
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Pollycat said:
    maman said:
    In my experience, the restaurant makes up one bill and then the group decides how they are going to pay. 

For example, it used to be the case that everyone put their share of cash down. Nowadays it's more often each member of the group or couples ask the staff to 'take x off this card'. Sometimes we've given cash to one member of the group who then pays the whole bill from a card. This happens with a friend who lives in the back of beyond and rarely gets to an ATM.🤣
    How does that work when someone (possibly conveniently) forgets about that aperitif and the liqueur coffer they had?
    Depends if you are splitting it proportionally or exactly what each person had. Presumably if the later then the last person gets told the remainder is £5 (or whatever) above what they were expecting and either they pay it or say that's wrong and then there is a further review and errant coffee drinker puts in the extra £5 they'd forgotten about. 
    If you are splitting the bill equally between 2, 3, 4 couples there wouldn't be an issue anyway (apart from the odd pennies).
    It's when people want to only pay for what they've had and also want to pay on credit card that problems may arise.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Pollycat said:
    Pollycat said:
    maman said:

If you are splitting the bill equally between 2, 3, 4 couples there wouldn't be an issue anyway (apart from the odd pennies).
    It's when people want to only pay for what they've had and also want to pay on credit card that problems may arise.
    Not from the waitresses point of view... maybe from the other dinners if Bob always drinks way more than everyone else. 

I've been out to dinner with Finance and Actuaries before, someone always takes the role of apportioning bill lines to individuals and calculating the total inc service charge/tip. 
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat said:
    Pollycat said:
    maman said:

Not from the waitresses point of view... maybe from the other dinners if Bob always drinks way more than everyone else. 

I've been out to dinner with Finance and Actuaries before, someone always takes the role of apportioning bill lines to individuals and calculating the total inc service charge/tip. 
    Yes...from the waitresses point of view if she has 3 or 4 cards to take payment from and the amounts in total do not cover the bill.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    The waitress only has a problem if the diners decide to dine and dash without paying the remaining £5, or start fisticuffs over who has to pay.

The group is jointly liable for the whole bill (assuming they didn't tell the staff at outset that they wanted to run separate tabs on the same table). It's not the restaurant's problem who pays for it as long as somebody does.

I go out with large groups quite often (sports club) and usually you can go up to the bar, tell them which items you had and they take it off the tab. Or a waitron can come to the table and do the same job. No real effort is required to keep track unless you have a tendency to forget a meal / drink you consumed an hour ago. The last time one person "forgot" to pay (more charitably, they had moved to the bar and weren't aware I had to settle up), so I paid for them and they did a bank transfer to me. No drama.
  • Pollycat
    The waitress only has a problem if the diners decide to dine and dash without paying the remaining £5, or start fisticuffs over who has to pay.

The group is jointly liable for the whole bill (assuming they didn't tell the staff at outset that they wanted to run separate tabs on the same table). It's not the restaurant's problem who pays for it as long as somebody does.

I go out with large groups quite often (sports club) and usually you can go up to the bar, tell them which items you had and they take it off the tab. Or a waitron can come to the table and do the same job. No real effort is required to keep track unless you have a tendency to forget a meal / drink you consumed an hour ago. The last time one person "forgot" to pay (more charitably, they had moved to the bar and weren't aware I had to settle up), so I paid for them and they did a bank transfer to me. No drama.
    My comments are based on my own experiences.

I've been out for a meal where a couple announced they wanted to pay for what they'd had and totted up, conveniently forgetting the aperitifs and liqueur coffees they'd had 
    (Hence my comment:
    Pollycat said:

When that was pointed out to them, they realised that it would be cheaper to split the bill but I insisted that they pay for exactly what they'd had plus a tip.
    Mean people who thought they were cleverer than anyone else.
    The other 3 couples split the bill.
    Not a pleasant experience.
    And never repeated.

I've been out for a meal with a group of all female workmates who got a calculator out and worked out to the penny how much they owed.
    Again, (possibly conveniently) forgetting extras they'd had so the notes and coins in the middle of the table didn't cover the bill.
    Not a pleasant experience.
    And never repeated.

We now only go out with couples that we know well and split the bill between ourselves, adding in a tip.
    Usually one couple pays and the other couple had over cash.
    I'm sure the places we go would be happy to take half from each credit card.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 November 2023 at 9:42AM
    It probably depends on where you’re going, but when we go out as a work group we tend to  ask the waiter for individual bills before we order, which they generally seem quite happy to accommodate. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think I must be fortunate in my friends! 🤣

I generally take on the role of doing the calculations and no one tries to take advantage. 

We have one tee total friend so when she's with us we usually work out her bill roughly (including share of tip) and split the rest equally.

I suppose it's all about ground rules. We were out earlier this week and split the bill equally between 2 couples. Thinking about it, they came out on top this time as I didn't have a pudding but it might be different next time round. 
  • ZeroSum
    ZeroSum Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Dunno if it's just a geographical thing, but splitting the bill has never been a thing. Have always just paid what you ordered, then rounded upto nearest fiver for tips. It's the same whether it's friends, family or work. Drinks don't really come into it as too many will be driving, and those who aren't just goto the bar & get their own outside of the bill. The only time a bill would be split is if everyone has had more or less similar priced food & it's not worth it for a quid or 2, but there's noway I'd stand for it if it was suggested by someone who'd massively click & I'd be getting mugged off

• I think as long as their cooking back and paying the takeaway the next time around then i fee there is not need to split but if there's one person paying every single time then its completely fait to ask for the money! with the price of everything at the min I think it's important to not let people take the mick with things like this
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback