Ryanair flight diversion - costs help required

Options
Hi

I have spent time researching but can't quite find the info I need. 

Last night my wife and child were on a Ryanair flight from Leeds to Malaga. The flight was diverted to Alicante (500km away from Malaga). As far as I'm aware no reason for the diversion was given to passengers verbally and definitely none-referenced in the digital messages they received.

While waiting on the plane they were told that Ryanair would arrange transport to Malaga, which I believe is their regulatory obligation and also laid out in article 9.3 of their Ts&Cs "we will arrange alternative transport, with us or another transport provider we choose, to carry you to the destination airport set out in your booking confirmation or itinerary. You will not have to pay anything for that alternative transport."

However, passengers were then informed that "due to limited availability of coaches" this would not happen. Instead passengers were told to make their own arrangements. Effectively abandoned, late at night when there was no public transport available to Malaga. They were told verbally and in a message that they could reclaim costs - they were also told verbally that there was no £ limit but to keep receipts.

Some passengers were finding hotels, and looking for transport the following morning. For my wife this was not an option, as her mum is very ill and undergoing surgery in the morning which she may not survive. They got quotes for a taxi to Malaga Airport, and also to their ultimate destination which was closer and cheaper, so they went with that. They eventually arrived 8 hours late.

I've read may horror stories about Ryanair and reclaims, but I need some advice on a few things.

1. Is there some small print limit on the amount of expenses reclaimable (none is mentioned in the comms they received)? Their taxi was 
€500 (a taxi to Malaga airport would have been 600)
2. If I follow the Ryanair reclaim process that they have provided a link for, what to watch out for in terms of them trying to object or wriggle out of paying?
3. Where do I raise a complaint concerning Ryanair not fulfilling their obligation to provide transport to the correct airport. They effectively had one plan, which was to arrange coaches - when that could not be done they gave up and passed responsibility to customers. God knows what would happen to passengers with no financial or mental capacity to make alternative arrangements themselves.
4. How to demand that repayment of expenses is in cash / to a bank account and NOT in Ryanair vouchers.

Many thanks

Comments

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 October 2023 at 11:03AM
    Options
    1.  There's no limit in the regulations. Passengers are however expected to keep expenses reasonable. Essentially that means not just jumping into a taxi when a bus/train/coach is available. However in your case with no public transport available you did all you could.

2. Shouldn't be anything to catch you out. Follow the form logically uploading required receipts etc.

3. You could complain to the regulator but its highly unlikely they'd do anything other than log the complaint. If Ryanair (or their handling agents) couldn't get coaches then they also run out of options. You're correct in the regulations stating the airline are responsible for making arrangements. In practice for varying reasons this often falls to passengers to arrange and claim back. 

4. You shouldn't need to demand anything. Ryanair should refund in cash. They may offer vouchers, you're within your rights to decline them. 
  • theredeye
    Options
    UPDATE - Being Ryanair I knew this would not be simple. The form the provided to complete for compensation (EU-261) has only 2 options. 1) Cancellation 2) Delay. Diversion is not an option. Anyhow, I selected "Delay" given the plane arrived 4 hours late and at the wrong airport! 
    Entered credentials to validate passengers. Tick
    Confirmed flight  - and the process lets me go no further as it states "your flight was not disrupted". There is no other option to proceed, a brick wall. What an absolute joke.

Before I raise this with the regulatory body, is there any other route I can try with this appalling company?

There will be around 200 other people on the flight in the same position. Being told by staff and on an email communication we can claim expenses, and then being prevented from doing so having spent money to cover their incompetence. 
  • theredeye
    Options
    FURTHER UPDATE:

I spoke with customer support who said they are having problems with the for EU261, so to log the details of the claim as a complaint. I did so, explaining that the form did not work so I was advised to raise a complaint.
    Within a few hours I had a response which has completely ignored my explanation. They have closed my ticket and told me to use the form. Around in circles.
    I'll call customer support tomorrow. If they cannot resolve, I will have exhausted their processes so will be raising officially with the regulatory body.
    This is just appalling service.
  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you've followed their instructions, and they have closed the ticket, I'd consider taking this straight to Aviation ADR, including the steps you'd taken to try and raise this with them and the fact they closed your case
  • PaulFS
    Options
    Hi @theredeye ,

My wife was on this same flight and also ended up taking a taxi to Malaga.  Will post here to let you know how we get on and if you could do the same that would be appreciated!  We tried the form also but hit the same blocker.

Good luck
  • theredeye
    Options
    PaulFS said:
    Hi @theredeye ,

My wife was on this same flight and also ended up taking a taxi to Malaga.  Will post here to let you know how we get on and if you could do the same that would be appreciated!  We tried the form also but hit the same blocker.

Good luck
    OK so the latest is - Ryanair are aware that their online form does not work for claims related to DIVERSIONS. (separately I will be raising with AviationADR as this is a failure in Ryanairs system / processes preventing a customer from executing their rights. I will also be raising this to MSE to help apply pressure for a fix).

To progress, I spoke with customer services again. Again they confirmed knowledge of the form problem. Their suggestion was that I reply to the email I received, the one that informed me they were closing my complaint ticket. In that reply, again state the reason for the ticket and provide all claim information. This I have done today.

If it is closed / rejected again then I will have exhausted their documented process, and with the evidence / audit trail I have I will be raising to AviationADR for intervention. I'll keep you updated.

• theredeye
    Options
    Update 4!

It gets better. Ryanair have responded to my claim today stating "our Operations Department has confirmed that surface transportation was organised for all customers to their original destination and as such we are not liable for any alternative transportation costs you may have incurred".

This simply did not happen. I have replied to correct this error and provided a copy of the electronic communication they sent out which says they were "
     "unable to source ground transport due to the limited availability of coaches. We ask you to make your own way to your destination and keep receipted expenses to submit for reimbursement".

They are an absolute joke. Looks like it will be going to the AviationADR. 

On a side note, I'd like to find out how many other flights around that time were diverted away from Malaga - does anyone know how to get this? My brother-in-law was there at the airport and said there was no storm. I simply no longer trust what Ryanair say,

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    theredeye said:
    OK so the latest is - Ryanair are aware that their online form does not work for claims related to DIVERSIONS. (separately I will be raising with AviationADR as this is a failure in Ryanairs system / processes preventing a customer from executing their rights. I will also be raising this to MSE to help apply pressure for a fix).
    I'd suggest that if you (understandably) want to highlight a flaw with Ryanair's systems or processes, then it would probably be more productive to raise that specific matter with the Irish aviation regulator rather than AviationADR or MSE....
  • theredeye
    Options
    Update 5. Success?

I responded to their email, the one where they stated that they provided onward transportation to Malaga, and provided a screenshot of the communication they sent asking customers to arrange their own travel which they could expense.
    They have now agreed to pay the expense claim. I'll wait for the payment before I consider the matter closed!

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Diverted flight on 22nd October.  After a bit of back and forth the airline agree to pay the claim 6 days later on 28th October.

And this is considered "apalling" and "an absolute joke" ?!  Seems they've resolved very quickly, granted their automated process didn't work, but it seems they've responded to your queries in a fairly timely manner and you hopefully have a satisfactory resolution in under a week. Certainly more straight forward than it would be with many other airlines, including some major flag carriers.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback