Great Feed, House and Keep Your Pets Hunt

in Pets & Pet Care
412 replies 153.7K views

Replies

• I have to agree with everyone who has been promoting pet insurance. I have a german shepherd who, until last year was perfectly healthy. I must admit that I was beginning to resent the £20 a month I was shelling out to a well known pet insurance company when I never made a single claim. But when she was diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia I panicked - the cost. Now she is taking daily medication which is really expensive (about £70 per month) as she can't take the usual tablet most dogs take. Having claimed for one year already, i was dreading the renewal - but the premiums only rose by about 60p a month. Now I pay just over £20 per month but still claim almost £70. That's assuming nothing else goes wrong.

GET PET INSURANCE - ITS WORTH IT IN THE END
    Rose :j
  • I use M&S for my dog insurance which my dog has had since he was 8 weeks old, I couldn't afford the vets bills if he was sick otherwise.

We feed him on Jolleys adult dry food and it's only £16 for a 15kg bag which lasts quite a while.

Thanks to everyone who mentioned vet uk website, saved me a fortune!
  • arkonite_babearkonite_babe Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lorraine £16 sounds steep if it's the same as the one I use. Is it Jollyes own brand??? I pay only £6.50 for my 15kg bag.
  • arkonite_babearkonite_babe Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hooter wrote:
    Please, please be careful with the BARF diet.
    Andrea

My dog went psyco on th BARF diet. It made him very grumpy and anti social. Since changing his diet back to exclude all raw meat or bones, he is back to his usuall loveable self. It's worth considering this factor depending on the breed of your dog and also whether you have kids in your home. Just speaking from personal experience :)
  • Seraquin - you can buy that very cheap on Ebay.

Cheap diets for puppies - I fed my Fell terrier puppy three times a day to start with. Breakfast - cereal and milk, Lunch - raw egg and biscuits, Supper - veg trimmings (stalks, etc), carb (pasta, tatties or biscuits) and raw beef mince. My dogs are healthy and without too many additives.

F
  • Hi All,

Barfing for cats, just like Sue does for dogs, is a great money saver. Saves em from poor quality pet foods, saves on vets bills cos they stay healthy AND DON'T NEED VACCINATING, saves on cat litter cos there's less waste, saves on furball remedies cos olive oil added to the BARF mix prevents those problems -- the only thing it doesn't save is time ... but they're worth lots of that :-)

Kate :j
  • Hi,

just to let everyone know that Costco do A 17kg bag of Original Wagg dog food ( with 3kg free at moment, 20kg) for £7.03 including vat.

the best before date on bags at Westhill store Aberdeen was 09/2007.

My other half has contact many wholesalers for dog treats/toys etc & has come away with many treats & toys that are many times less the cost of treats/toys in places like pets at home etc.

Ok he has recently spent £100.00 but priced the items against the prices in pets at home and the retail value would have been just under £260.00.
    A good saving & all the treats are natural & have a bb date of Jan 07 - Nov 08.

One of the toys he bought wholesale was selling in pets at home at £13.98 & he bought it for £1.50.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion
    Ellie 25/12/07
  • Change your dogs food
    but do it gradully.
    We did use royal canine years ago but every time we went too buy a new bag they put the price up.
    So we stopped buying it.
    We have two med sized show dogs, and two horses, and together they dont cost £250 a month just for food. we never pay more than about £15 for a 15kg bag of dog food and they still look fantastic on the cheaper stuff.
    Ask your pet shop if they can give you some sample bags of other food to try to see what your dogs likes before you commit yourself to buying a large sack
    Hope this is of help.
  • Re boosters, not sure if this has already been mentioned but my local kennels pointed out that most dogs don't need the kennel cough booster all year round. My dogs just have it about a fortnight before they go into kennels if it has run out previously. Also, can't praise PETPLAN insurance too highly, one of my labradors has bad arthritis and they pay for her medication AND twice weekly hydrotherapy session!
  • bulchybulchy Forumite
    955 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    kateykat wrote:
    Hi All,

Barfing for cats, just like Sue does for dogs, is a great money saver. Saves em from poor quality pet foods, saves on vets bills cos they stay healthy AND DON'T NEED VACCINATING, saves on cat litter cos there's less waste, saves on furball remedies cos olive oil added to the BARF mix prevents those problems -- the only thing it doesn't save is time ... but they're worth lots of that :-)

Kate :j

Kate, how do you manaage to persuade your cats that BARF is good for them???? One of my cats will eat raw meat, the other wont, for hygiene purposes I find this difficult, as Billy, who will eat raw, will try to steal Sebs cooked food, this cant be doing him any good, so I just stick to giving them both tinned food. He did steal some raw chicken I was defrosting on the bench tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it :rotfl: I suppose it saves him catching his own birdies tonight.
    Feeding my dogs BARF has done them the world of good, as another thing I forgot to mention is that feeding raw bones to dogs helps keep the teeth clean. My weimaraner is from rescue, when we first got him his teeth needed cleaned, he wouldnt let us do this ourselves, the bones have cleaned them great, they look much better now, so will save me having dental work on him in the future. Anyone not wanting to go down the BARF route may just consider giving the dogs a raw bone a few times a week to keep the teeth clean.
    Sue
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin's debt costs masterclass

Eg, balance transfer up to 35 mths at 0%

MSE News

£80 GHD Original IV Styler

Via MSE Blagged code (norm £109)

MSE Deals