Personal Finance apps (was: Money Dashboard apps closing down)

123468

Comments

  • I'd forgotten how much I love YNAB!  I've already ditched Moneyhub and think I'll pay for YNAB once my free trial ends...
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 October 2023 at 3:44PM
    SamDude said:
    I've found this after someone mentioned it on Reddit - Buxfer (https://www.buxfer.com)

    It is a US app, but it ticks lots of boxes so far...


    I've used Buxfer (Pro) for a couple of years and am quite happy with it. 
  • SamDude said:
    I've found this after someone mentioned it on Reddit - Buxfer (---)

    It is a US app, but it ticks lots of boxes so far...
    • Detailed/rich web interface
    • Open banking for UK accounts
    • Mobile app
    • manually upload transactions
    • custom tagging/categories and sub-categories
    • forecasting (pro plan)
    • budgets
    • split and delete transactions (which you can undelete for 30 days)
    There is a demo dashboard at --  which I have played with, but no way of testing the mobile app without signing up.

    It is not free - the minimum 'Plus' plan is $3.99/mth and the 'Pro' plan is $4.99/mth - so approx £40/50 a year (which is less than PocketSmith, YNAB). There is a Prime plan at $10/mth with more features.

    The company has been around since 2007?
    They let you cancel and refund within the first month so there is no risk.

    I am thinking of going for the Pro plan as it has the forecasting and timeline features.

    Just re-reading my post and it comes across as an advert(!), but it's not and I would appreciate others thoughts on this option...

    Thanks for mentioning it. It does everything I want and is half the price of PocketSmith. 
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,248 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 14 October 2023 at 11:18PM
    I had a look at Buxfer but when I tried to download the app my phone said it had been built for an earlier version of Android and would not work on my current phone. Anyone else encountered this? The browser version seems good. I'm still sticking with Pocketsmith. 
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Re : the response from MoneyHub about Forecast feature and my earlier post post describing it as "useless" . Actually I was being rather kind - but as I haven't been using "Forecast" , I misrepresented how it currently works . You input your guess/calculation of your monthly spend by category and income and it just does the sums at month end month after month - so no day by day balance forecast . As everyone knows trying to budget on a monthly average spend never works - you need something which recognises annual / quarterly / six monthly / 10 monthly / 4 weekly  regular payments and income  - not averages. 
    But good to see MoneyHub recognises the gold standard is/was MoneyDashboard Classic planner.  
  • SamDude
    SamDude Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
     :(       


  • how is everyone getting on without Moneydashboard?  Found anything that is working for you?  I'm on the YNAB free trial which they've just extended for me so before I commit to that just seeing if there is anything else that does a similar job? thanks
  • Zuzi
    Zuzi Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thanks to everyone who shared their tips and experiences with MD alternatives so far on this thread!

    I too need a plan B, will go over what has been said so far and while I loved Money Dashboard, I am sure I'll find a good replacement. Not too fussed about a planning feature, my main need is simply the banking connections and being able to check my balances all in one place.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,453 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Zuzi said:
    Thanks to everyone who shared their tips and experiences with MD alternatives so far on this thread!

    I too need a plan B, will go over what has been said so far and while I loved Money Dashboard, I am sure I'll find a good replacement. Not too fussed about a planning feature, my main need is simply the banking connections and being able to check my balances all in one place.
    I also only need something that gives me balances so I can quickly reconcile my spreadsheet.

    I tried Snoop, but gave up, as it doesn't group the accounts by category or break the total down between account type - Credit Cards, Current Accounts, and Savings.

    I'm using Moneyhub.  It's not as good as Money Dashboard, because you can't refresh the balances yourself, so you need to use it late in the day once they have picked up your daily transactions.  It also doesn't give the grand total to the penny, it rounds it to the nearest whole pound.  Subtotals are given to the penny.  Not perfect, but it does the job.
  • janusdesign
    janusdesign Posts: 709 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 November 2023 at 3:17PM
    Nick_C said:
    Zuzi said:
    Thanks to everyone who shared their tips and experiences with MD alternatives so far on this thread!

    I too need a plan B, will go over what has been said so far and while I loved Money Dashboard, I am sure I'll find a good replacement. Not too fussed about a planning feature, my main need is simply the banking connections and being able to check my balances all in one place.
    I also only need something that gives me balances so I can quickly reconcile my spreadsheet.

    I tried Snoop, but gave up, as it doesn't group the accounts by category or break the total down between account type - Credit Cards, Current Accounts, and Savings.

    I'm using Moneyhub.  It's not as good as Money Dashboard, because you can't refresh the balances yourself, so you need to use it late in the day once they have picked up your daily transactions.  It also doesn't give the grand total to the penny, it rounds it to the nearest whole pound.  Subtotals are given to the penny.  Not perfect, but it does the job.
    i've been impressed with Moneyhub - support have been quick to answer to queries... accounts assigned to the wrong category (e.g saving accounts listed under current) are usually fixed within a few days.
    with regards to manually refreshing accounts with non-manual connections, you can do so whenever you want by..
    1. Choosing "Manage connection" in the account you want to refresh...
    2. and then press "Refresh"
    depending on the actual connection settings, you may or may not need to enter a OTP passcode, security answer etc when refreshing, but in my experience most will refresh without that need.
    remember that connected current accounts refresh four times a day; connected savings accounts refresh once daily and manual connections don't refresh.
    i'm also using the "Projects" feature to check FSCS limits for specific institutions - it's not ideal as it doesn't give a combined total for each project, but separate totals for current and savings accounts that I mentally total.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards