Personal Finance apps (was: Money Dashboard apps closing down)

Comments

• SamDude
    SamDude Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    SamDude said:
    There are a few niggles that I'm finding:
    • you can't split transactions using the web or iPhone app - only via Android app. Seriously?!
    • you can modify the existing Categories and create new 'subcategories'.
    • the transactions list shows the Category (Transfer, Food, Transport, Income etc) as the main record, then the account, then the description and then the amount. There is so much wasted screen space and you can't easily make out what the record is for... 
      I would prefer to see the transaction description, tag/label and amount (yes, just like MDB).
    • Even though you can set the currency to GBP, the dates are in US (mmm dd) format and they can't be changed.
    Some Wallet positives (well, one):
    • The dashboard has some beautiful widgets.

But back to the gripes (for the web view at least):
    • no budgeting or forecasting options on the web. One of the pillars of using this type of tool.
    • the feedback requests/feedback portal has lots of open requests where people have asked for web/iPhone feature parity with the Android app. These have been requested for a long time, and I don't think they will happen.
  • RedDwarf82
    RedDwarf82 Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    To keep adding to Wallet issues (which hurts me, I really like the fact they have import/export functionality):
    - Supposedly my Amex has connected OK, but I can't see a single transaction... after trying twice
    - For transactions from other accounts, the Payer/Payee field is empty with the information being in "Note"
    - It's not clear to me what to do with the transactions that are just transfers between accounts (which MD just marks as "Transfer")

• Is there any app/web version that has a decent planner like Money Dashboard's?

I need a visual aid to help me with our budgeting, where I can see what will be coming in and going out for all accounts. I don't do well if I can't see a clear overview. :sweat_smile:
    I liked that I could put in recurring predictions with MD on specific days. I've just tried Moneyhub and it doesn't seem to let you put in anything as detailed. :disappointed:
  • RedDwarf82
    RedDwarf82 Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 October 2023 at 7:19AM
    Both Spendee and Wallet use https://www.saltedge.com/ for the Open Banking connections, and both are failing to import the transactions from American Express, without even reporting an error.
    I guess the same problem will affect PocketSmith.
  • What are people's opinions on Mint.intuit.com? 
    I have dyscalculia.....Money Dashboard was amazing for me :-(

• RosieJack said:
    What are people's opinions on Mint.intuit.com? 

As far as I know, Mint is US only.
  • RosieJack said:
    What are people's opinions on Mint.intuit.com? 

Mint doesn’t actually hold your money, so you don’t have to worry about the company going bust. However, it does hold a whole lot of your personal and financial data.

Unlike in the UK, Open Banking isn’t a thing in the US yet, so what you’re doing when using Mint is basically giving it your bank account’s details and granting Mint access to it. However, Mint is still not allowed to move money – it accesses your data in read-only mode.

• Not currently available in the UK.

I think it's still the case that Mint is unavailable in the UK & Europe... I suspect you could sign up, but whether it could access any UK banks would be questionable.
    going through my emails, I find that I also signed up to MD in 2013 - before that I was using ewise.com.au (but that closed and the domain is now for sale).
    i'm going to miss MD. :(
  • SamDude
    edited 4 October 2023 at 11:02AM
    Mint is US and Canada only (as I've just found out).

It only brings up US/Canadian banks - no UK organisations (I tried Natwest, Santander and Barclays)

(I've now requested my Mint profile be deleted)
  • SamDude
    The closest to MD we could get is if Moneyhub took the great ideas (including making the web view 'responsive') from MD and implemented them.

Anyone know how we can get on their radar without bombarding them with support requests?
  • I had so many manually split transaction on MD because my credit card is with the Co-op and they don't support open banking gdi. I know someone mentioned Wallet, but are there any other options with the ability to import from MD?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback