PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What’s the strangest or most expensive item you’ve found or left in a property?

Comments

• daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Oddest (almost…) - old shopping bag under the rockery. Luckily it was just the previous owner's bodge to protect the electrics for a water feature. 

Most valuable - arguably the spare tiles for the bathroom which allowed me to replace the few I needed to when reconfiguring rather than trying to hunt down a match or retile the whole room. 
  • Our first house was a repo, so we had all sorts.   Racist and sexist graffiti on the walls, the most repeatable was “we conceived our daughter here. Hope you do the same” with graphic accounts of how.  There were car tyres in a filled in pond.  Car radios in the garage.  A full of oil industrial fryer balanced in a cupboard.  Loads of letters from bailiffs.

• chickens. People leaving their chickens 🙄🤷‍♀️
  • I found an old victorian? bussle in a loft some years ago.   Plus when we lived in France a neighbour removed a downstairs toilet and found stairs leading to a previously hidden cellar and in it were lots of bottles of wine but they had all gone off, plus a big pile of coal and an old hot water boiler.  He gave us the coal and it took several trailer loads all loaded by hand using buckets up those stairs. Lasted us two years in our stove.
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 September 2023 at 10:19PM
    One flat we moved in had some suspect white powder and needles in the attic.

Same flat when we were moving, we'd had enough and decided to put the king-size mattress in the attic just to get it out the way. It wasn't that easy to fit through the hatch, and did get wedged. My Dad turned up and actually walked past the mattress hanging out the hatch and didn't even notice it. 

We were young, and thought it was funny someone else finding it. Looking back now imagine my paint scheme would have been the bigger problem 🙂

It was also a council flat in a less than desirable place, I'm pretty sure what we found and left was quite tame
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • uralmaid
    uralmaid Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 4 October 2023 at 5:58PM
    We moved into our house 2 years ago.  There was a delapidated static caravan in the garden.  The roof had caved in and also part of the floor.  When we finally got round to dismantling it there were 3 large sacks of toys (all stuff which would have been expensive).  On going through them with a view to sending them to the charity shop they were all missing parts so had to go in the skip as we didn't want children being upset if things were missing. There was a cabinet and in the cabinet were at least 600 home made cassette tapes.  There was also lots of black plastic sheeting and a lot of lamps (can only guess what they were for).  Also throughout the garden we found enough vodka bottles to keep a bottling plant in stock for a year. Even now whenever we are doing work in the garden which involves deeper digging, we find the odd vodka bottle.  
  • LandM1
    LandM1 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    A glass walking stick in the loft. It’s beautiful, 

• Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic

In another house, in a void under a stair, I found a letter, handwritten in pencil on a piece of simple lined paper, from a girl named Astrid. She wrote to her parents begging them to let her come home, promising she would be good, and telling them she loved them very much. I don't think I'll ever forget that.  

:'( That's awful! No wonder you've never forgotten it. I wonder what the back story was? It's like a Frances Hodgson Burnett novel.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback