PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What’s the strangest or most expensive item you’ve found or left in a property?

12346»

Comments

• Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    When our daughter was looking to buy a flat we were shown around one property that had been trashed and smashed up by the previous occupants who had been evicted. When we noticed a loft hatch we asked the estate agent what was up there. He subsequently checked for us and had such a shock he had to take time off work. It was full of live snakes and other exotic animals! Needless to say we didn't buy the property.
    Sorry, the snakes etc are believable. The hyper-sensitive estate agent is stretching credibility too far!

Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    My job was an electrician.

While rewiring an ex police house (the owner had bought it and was the first private owner after the village police station closed) I lifted some loft insulation by the loft hatch, and there was a WWII rifle.

And more recently a plain ordinary semi detached house, I found scattered around the loft, again under the insulation, this time dismantled and in pieces all the components of a shotgun.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Our last house had a stanley knife blade tcked away in every room. The previous owner was apparently growing things he shouldn't have and obviously trying out the goods.
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 1 November 2023 at 9:08AM
    I found a second trimester baby scan photo in my flat under the old storage heater when it was removed. Looked on Facebook, messaged a woman I thought it could be, it was indeed her and they moved out 2 weeks before said child, their first, was born. She came and collected it and brought me flowers as a thank you. 
    Value is not always monetary. 
    😀
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I found a mummified cat in the eves of a house we were rewiring. The house was a converted and extended old barn.
  • I found a mummified cat in the eves of a house we were rewiring. The house was a converted and extended old barn.

If you remove it you'll be unprotected against witchcraft!  ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback