We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
And now we go again...
Comments
-
I get an email every time there's a free hour or a saving session etc - there's a link in each one to opt in. Can't remember how i signed up for emails though! Pretty sure therr used to be a WhatsApp channel but i'm not sure i get notifications from there any more.
5 -
I get the emails too and always opt in - there was an hour session last night from 6-7pm. We had an early dinner so that was cooked before 6pm so not cooking during that hour so hopefully we used less than usual!
They've now made it you can choose when at the weekend you can use it rather than saying it's a particular hour.
5 -
Thanks PiP! Yes, as others have said, make sure you are signed up to Octoplus and opted in to emails - you should get an email at some stage during the afternoon ahead pf any sessions - the sessions often get posted in the thread on the energy board here too although not all sessions apply to all over the country. You just opt in from that email. I pretty much always opt in even if I don't expect we'll save anything on the "nothing to lose" basis. Until November they are also doing a thing where if you save on two saving sessions you get a free hour on a Sunday as well which is a nice bonus. The Octoplus area of the app is where everything can be found, but I don't always see the savings sessions there and others have said the same, hence the emails/here being a good option.
MSE Stuff:
- My car fed this morning at the cheap filling station near work - 173.9 for diesel will do nicely!
- MrEH is using the cheapest of today's electrickery to roast some more squash, run the dishwasher and get a load of washing through so we are properly caught up ahead of going away.
- Last night's food used up the end of a piece of roast pork from the freezer, the last of the aubergine and tomato sauce, and the scrapings from a tub of greek yogurt. Tonight's will be a raid on whatever else that is in the fridge that I can use.
- The outstanding Big River return couldn't be done this morning because there was a system issue - I need to hope it is fixed by tomorrow!
- Banks checked and all OK - joint account is squeaky but not worryingly so.
- The money for the B&B night ahead of my Lundy trip has hit the CC so I'll money shuffle for that. It's all in the budget, so all good there!
- MrEH gets brownie points for just ekeing out yesterday's travel on his Oyster card.
- I've obviously niscalculated something cred-tcardy somewhere as the rewards one currently has an £11 positive balance. Ah well, it will come off this morning's fuel fill!
- Took a quick look at clothes in T's last night and nearly bought a nice jumper - decided against though as had a feeling it might not wash nicely. £15 saved.
Spendiness:
- invoice for the steps was paid last night.
- I'm using car parks near work today so will have to buy something in Al's later - might make it a jar of their sun tried tomatoes to take with us though as they are massively cheaper than we will get up there and we use them in pasta salads etc.
🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00 Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
Balance as at 31/08/24 = £105,400.00 Balance as at 31/12/24 = £102,500.00
£100k barrier broken 1/4/25
Balance as at 31/08/25 = £ 95,450.00. Balance as at 31/12/25 = £ 91,100.00
SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculatorshe/her7 -
I noticed on @Foxgloves diary that you were discussing the books that you read. I am currently enjoying crime books written by Peter May & thought of you! I love his books & his style of writing, but I particularly like that the ones I have read so far are set in the Outer Hebrides. Having holidayed there for many years, I can picture the places he mentions in his books which bring back happy memories of the times spent there in our camper van.
KA x
4 -
I'll have to check I am still opted in to receive Free Energy Hour emails as I haven't had any for months & we always took part whenever we could.
Re your new steps, I'm sure they will be pretty much cost-neutral in terms of kerb appeal, as you say. It's something that's hard to put a price on until you are wanting to pull out all the visual stops for selling up, but you know they've improved the house so just enjoy them. We've seen rather a lot of cashola flowing in the wrong direction this year too so am hoping to come up with a cunning plan in time for our January 2027 Money Summit (although no inkling of anything either cunning….or indeed an actual 'plan' as yet, though!)
F
2026's challenges: 1) To rebuild our Emergency Fund to at least £5k.
2) To read 50 books (12/50) 3) The Re-Shrinking of Foxgloves 8.1kg/30kg
Remember....if you have to put it on a credit card, extend your overdraft or take out a loan to buy whatever it is, you probably can't afford it, as that's not your money, it's somebody else's!5 -
Hi EH hope everything’s ok. Not heard from you for a while….
L
Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #1243 -
I think EH was up north somewhere?
OH just told me he'd seen some gorgeous photography from her recently!
4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)(With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)Original End Date - Sept 2041 *** New projection - Aug 2040 (reduced by 1 years & 1 month)2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards




