Radio silence from Octopus - SEG/FIT switch setup

Options
Hi All,

I've recently had a second set of panels installed on my home. I had an old array on the old FIT. But after the price hikes I decided it was a good idea to get some more panels and a battery fitted.  My old FIT was with another provider, but decided to migrate it all to Octopus as they said that would be fastest to get the new SEG setup.

I have opted out of the FIT export payments with Octopus and have sent them all the documentation (MCS DNO etc) they requested but it's now been 7 weeks and I haven't had any update.

I sent Octopus an email a week ago asking for an update but haven't heard back. I'm quite a patient person but I feel like I'm sitting in the dark. 

Does anybody who has been through something similar have a rough idea how long I will have to wait? From reading around they need to get an Export MPAN from the network operatior? They haven't asked anything else from me so I assume it's something their end holding it up? 

Comments

• Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 31 August 2023 at 9:47PM
    Options
    Give them a ring and ask.
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • pete-20-11
    pete-20-11 Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm in a similar position. My DNO sent the MPAN to Octopus about two weeks ago. I chased Octopus by twitter DM just over a week ago, no news yet. 
    PPI success. Banding success. Double Dip PCN cancelled! South facing solar (Midlands) and battery. Savings Session supporter.
  • NigelIR
    Options
    I asked Octopus if it was possible to transfer my FIT account to them as SSE just dumped me on OVO who have been simply awful. Octopus asked for account info etc which I supplied and then I have heard nothing!
  • pete-20-11
    Options
    Octopus say I need to get British Gas to set my fit account to negotiate.

last time I asked BG to do that they asked for a final generation meter reading

but Octopus said they’ll sort that at a later date

just chased Octopus again today and they say BG needs to set it to negotiate 

so I’ll ask BG again and see if I get a different response this time. Urgh.

I get the feeling some people at Octopus know what to do and others don’t as I’ve had conflicting advice from them. 🤬
    PPI success. Banding success. Double Dip PCN cancelled! South facing solar (Midlands) and battery. Savings Session supporter.
  • Chris_Type_R
    Options
    The sale of Shell Energy to Octopus has just been agreed, adding another 1.6m people in the future to be serviced their customer management teams. 
    Central Beds, 2.02kWp (9 x 225W) south facing with some morning shade, installed 2011 (£7.16/Wp). Tigo monitoring/optimisers on all panels, Growatt MIC 2000 TL-X Inverter and Solar iBoost installed 2022. (4 x 415W + 6 x 405W garden experiment connected to SunSynk 3.6 hybrid inverter & 2 x 5.3kWh SynSynk batteries) (4 x 405W panels queued to go somewhere)
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    The sale of Shell Energy to Octopus has just been agreed, adding another 1.6m people in the future to be serviced their customer management teams. 
    ... and adding Shell's CS staff to Octopus's payroll. Swings and roundabouts.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Reed_Richards
    Options

I get the feeling some people at Octopus know what to do and others don’t as I’ve had conflicting advice from them. 🤬
    QrizB said:
    ... and adding Shell's CS staff to Octopus's payroll. Swings and roundabouts.
    So maybe it's the long-time-Octopus CS people who know what they are talking about and the now-Octopus-was-Bulb CS people who aren't so clued-up?  
    Reed
  • pete-20-11
    Options
    Yeah my thoughts too.

They'll get there eventually I guess. A lot of new people to train up onboard etc. 
  • Telegraph_Sam
    Telegraph_Sam Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 12 February at 8:42PM
    Options
    Can I ask for some basic guidance on FIT vs SEG please from those in the know:
    I have had solar panels for a number of years now.
    These generate FIT credits from Scottish Power. 
    My energy supplier for several years has been Octopus. Current tariff is Tracker.
    Some months ago Octopus fitted me with a smart meter for electric.
    Email just received from Scottish Power "inviting" me to sign up for and transfer from FIT to SEG.
    I have never understood how the SEG system works and how it is different from FIT
    SP tell me that I currently get a credit of 6.79 p per unit from the FIT system. If I changed to SEG I would get 12 p per unit.
    The admin, which puts me off, would seem to be handled by Scottish Power. All I would need to do is supply them with pics of my generation and consumption meters.
    On the surface changing to SEG is a no-brainer.  But is it???

Telegraph Sam
  • pete-20-11
    pete-20-11 Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    FIT export tends to be based on 50% deemed (e.g. they assume you export 50% of your generation) unless an export meter has been installed - in which case they can pay FIT on actual export.

So if you're moving from FIT with deemed export you might get a better rate, but perhaps not a better deal 

Let's say you use 80% of what you generate, but get paid export for 50% rather than 20% export. 

When you move to SEG export payments will the difference in price be worth it - better rate but perhaps less units! 

The FIT generation payments can continue, it's only the export payment that would change to SEG. 

You can also move your FIT and/or SEG to another supplier if you wish, it doesn't have to be managed by your main energy company. So there may be better rates out there and/or better customer service. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback