Purchased a car, MOT was passed same day but may not be properly done

Options

Comments

• tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,941 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 August 2023 at 1:28PM
    Options
    See above, when it passed (I bought it when it came back from MOT station) none of the other issues with it are listed even as advisories. For the brake light it's a FAIL but it's not a big fix. For the TPMS it's a FAIL. For the reflector it's an advisory ADVISORY, for the tyre ADVISORY. Again the reflector and tyre are not a big repair. The TPMS repair may cost a bit.

I've still to find out what the noise is from rear wheels if not tyres. 
  • tifo
    edited 31 August 2023 at 1:27PM
    Options
    I'm not driving it yet so not insuring as i want to speak to the MOT station first and if i'm not happy with their replies, look to return it. Thus I can't take it to someone to look at the known and unknown issues.

I'm still waiting for the seller (trader) to send me the MOT station details which he doesn't know for some unknown reason. Been asking for 5 days.
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Regardless of the fact the details are available on line, a paper certificate should still be issued by the testing station. On the strength of the details you’ve posted, it would suggest the ball joint was dealt with following the first test. 
    As for the other issues you’ve spoken of . . . . .
  • tedted
    tedted Posts: 374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    what you get now is only a receipt no certificates now
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tedted said:
    what you get now is only a receipt no certificates now
    Google it and it’ll say that certificates should be provided 
  • tedted
    tedted Posts: 374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    its still a receipt its all online now and is not embossed like the orignal ones were
  • tifo
    Options
    baser999

On the strength of the details you’ve posted, it would suggest the ball joint was dealt with following the first test.

As for the other issues you’ve spoken of . . . . .
    I know the failed ball joint was replaced. I said that.

None of the issues I've posted here are on the MOT test as you can see. I've provided proof here of the issues, obviously I can't take a picture of the non working brake light unless I ask someone, and the wheel/tyre noise is there too.
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it a 1tr ecoboost? 
    Not relevant to your current problems but did you check if the cambelt has been replaced? Should be done at 10 years or 100k miles.
  • tifo
    Options
    noh said:

Is it a 1tr ecoboost? 
    Not relevant to your current problems but did you check if the cambelt has been replaced? Should be done at 10 years or 100k miles.
    It's a 1.5 diesel.

No, I didn't check the cambelt. There's no history or documents with it. I only got the log book and green slip and 1 key with the car.
  • tifo
    edited 5 September 2023 at 10:53AM
    Options
    The MOT station accepted their mistakes and asked if I would accept some money (from the seller) to repair the issues as they don't want to get into trouble. I spoke with the seller and we agreed a refund of an amount, or to return the car. Taking into account travel, fuel, time etc (2.5 hours drive one way) and refund amount I decided to keep the car and take the refund.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback