Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 August 2023 at 7:55PM
    Options
    tifo said:
    tifo said:
    Tyres are directional and fitted right (says outside).

I've had directional tyres make a terrible noise at certain speeds before now, so that might be your issue, especially if one of them is badly worn. That said, my directional tyres used to have a pointer to the direction of rotation on the sidewall, rather than "outside". I don't think "outside" is the same, as it would still be on the outside if you swap a wheel from left to right, whereas the rotation marker would then be incorrect.
    We have directional tyres on other cars in the house (upto 275/30 20") and they usually say 'outside'. No issues with noise.

I don't think "outside" is the same, as it would still be on the outside if you swap a wheel from left to right, whereas the rotation marker would then be incorrect.

You're correct in terms of direction. A quick search online says "Care should be taken to fit them the right way around. The word outside should always be on the outside of the car".
    They are asymmetric tyres not directional.  The tread is designed with a different outside and inside pattern whereas directional has a tread pattern specific to the rolling direction.

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    facade said:
    The reflector looks like a minor to me, it should pass MOT.

I'd fix the brake light.

I'm guessing it is a Ford from googling the TPMS message, it means that a sensor battery has gone, pop to a National chain of tyre fitters and they can read which one has gone and fit a & code a new one for only £££ rather than the £££ Ford will charge for the diagnostic, and the ££££ for a new one.

Looks like a Fiesta Mk7
    And agreed that reflector looks like a minor
    (a) Reflector defective or damaged:

(i) by up to 50% of the reflecting surface               Minor
    (ii) by more than 50% of the reflecting surface      Major

• tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,941 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 August 2023 at 1:37PM
    Options
    molerat said:
    facade said:
    The reflector looks like a minor to me, it should pass MOT.

I'd fix the brake light.

I'm guessing it is a Ford from googling the TPMS message, it means that a sensor battery has gone, pop to a National chain of tyre fitters and they can read which one has gone and fit a & code a new one for only £££ rather than the £££ Ford will charge for the diagnostic, and the ££££ for a new one.

Looks like a Fiesta Mk7
    And agreed that reflector looks like a minor
    (a) Reflector defective or damaged:

(i) by up to 50% of the reflecting surface               Minor
    (ii) by more than 50% of the reflecting surface      Major

"Looks like a Fiesta Mk7".

Yes, in my first post i said 2015 Ford Fiesta.

"And agreed that reflector looks like a minor"

Yes, i've looked at the MOT specs but is not listed as minor in the test.

The damaged front tyre also worries me if it should have been a minor or major fail but, having looked at the MOT specs, depends if the cut is 25mm or more or if the ply or cord can be seen from it. I've not checked but will do. There are much more than 1 cut though.

Fixing the brake light is not an issue but why should i have to. They will say it was working when they tested but it's unlikely to fail half an hour later. Difficult to prove.

My worry is if they've let off these small issues what else have they done.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is possible that the TPMS doesn't work if you have non dealer-supplied tyres; I've had this on a BMW and I had to calibrate them myself.
    Road noise (and possibly a tendency to meander?) can also be due to tracking; I'd have that checked.
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 August 2023 at 7:41PM
    Options
    Agree with earlier poster, if it was a trade buy then go back.

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 August 2023 at 5:47PM
    Options
    tifo said:
    <snip>

Fixing the brake light is not an issue but why should i have to. They will say it was working when they tested but it's unlikely to fail half an hour later. Difficult to prove.

My worry is if they've let off these small issues what else have they done.
    Just change the bulb. If it fixes it there is no way you can prove that it wasn't working at the test and failed on the way home. Bulbs can fail at any time, why not then? If it isn't the bulb- take it back.

Your other issues are

The reflector that you knew was cracked should probably have been a minor, maybe the tester was lenient.

There are a couple of bad looking tyres that look legal. I'd change them as they are looking worn, and would have budgeted for them when I checked the car before purchase, if I couldn't get the seller to change them for less tatty ones.

The TPMS has a fault that google says is a dead/missing sensor. You spotted this at purchase and it hasn't cleared by inflating the tyre as the seller said it would, so take it back, otherwise fit a new sensor or live with it, it should strictly fail MOT though.

There is a noise at speed that isn't bearings- this would concern me if I wasn't sure that it was tyre noise. If it isn't tyre noise, take it back.

You think the MOT wasn't done properly.

Take it for another somewhere else. If it fails spectacularly, take it back and report the first MOT to DVSA https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/problems-with-your-test-result.

If it fails on just the brake light and the TPMS- told you so..... but take it back over the TPMS anyway.
    If it gets a host of new advisories these are just the tester's opinion about possible future issues that don't as yet meet the fail criteria, and may not for many years.

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • tifo
    edited 30 August 2023 at 7:19PM
    Options
    I agree with your advice above.

"You spotted this at purchase and it hasn't cleared by inflating the tyre as the seller said it would".

The TPMS message wasn't on when I purchased the car. The low tyre pressure orange light was on. The light went off when tyre filled with air so I thought seller was correct. Later that day the TPMS message came up. I reset it and message goes away but comes back. I'm guessing they also reset it after the MOT knowing it would come back later but hopefully after the sale otherwise seller would make some excuse.

"There is a noise at speed that isn't bearings- this would concern me if I wasn't sure that it was tyre noise".

I agree. It would worry me too.

"There are a couple of bad looking tyres that look legal. I'd change them as they are looking worn, and would have budgeted for them when I checked the car before purchase".

I didn't notice the bad tyre. I would change it, I don't leave bad tyres on cars and change them when they're near 2mm at most.

Overall, I didn't check the car as I should have thinking it's literally just come straight from MOT station so there can't be much wrong with it. I did check the MOT history and the 1 part it failed on was replaced. And there are no advisories.

I've asked the seller for tel number or name/address of the MOT station but he said he doesn't know. He'll go there and get it (the next town). I think this is unusual, I would know where I booked my car's MOT. I don't know who they are until I receive my log book and use the document number to check.
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you not receive an MOT certificate and any paperwork when you bought the car? 
  • tifo
    edited 31 August 2023 at 1:12PM
    Options
    baser999 said:
    Did you not receive an MOT certificate and any paperwork when you bought the car? 
    No MOT certificate, it's online anyway, and only the log book with green slip. What else is there?

I taxed it (£0).
  • tifo
    Options
    This may help  .....

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts