Options

Comments

• tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,941 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 August 2023 at 12:56PM
    Options
    tifo said:
    Tyres are directional and fitted right (says outside).

I've had directional tyres make a terrible noise at certain speeds before now, so that might be your issue, especially if one of them is badly worn. That said, my directional tyres used to have a pointer to the direction of rotation on the sidewall, rather than "outside". I don't think "outside" is the same, as it would still be on the outside if you swap a wheel from left to right, whereas the rotation marker would then be incorrect.
    We have directional tyres on other cars in the house (upto 275/30 20") and they usually say 'outside'. No issues with noise.

I don't think "outside" is the same, as it would still be on the outside if you swap a wheel from left to right, whereas the rotation marker would then be incorrect.

You're correct in terms of direction. A quick search online says "Care should be taken to fit them the right way around. The word outside should always be on the outside of the car".
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tifo said:
    I've had the car looked at by an MOT tester. All 4 wheel bearings are fine so the noise is something else. Tyres are directional and fitted right (says outside).

I'm told the front right tyre should've been an advisory as it's worn from inner side. This tyre is run flat and the other 3 are not but they're all the same size. This is not illegal but affects the stability of the car.
    Thanks
    On my car the one tyre was an advisory on the MOT 2 years ago. Tyre not changed and this MOT it wasn't even advisory. There is a lot of scope for a tester to use their judgement on some items. I was present at the new MOT and discussed with tester, he said although tyre was worn it wasn't close enough to wear indicators to be advisory in his opinion.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • tifo
    edited 29 August 2023 at 3:07PM
    Options
    TPMS message and light on dash when car came back after MOT. When I went to collect the seller said "wait 10 mins, i'm just collecting it from MOT".

• tifo
    Options
    Rear reflector broken.

• tifo
    Options
    And the left brake light does not work though I found some bulbs and stuff in the car.

• tifo
    Options
    The only run flat tyre seems to be excessively worn from outer edge and worn from inner edge. Could be the noise.

• tifo
    Options
    Front right runflat

• tifo
    Options
    Front right run flat.

• tifo
    Options
    Front right inner.

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The reflector looks like a minor to me, it should pass MOT.

I'd fix the brake light.

I'm guessing it is a Ford from googling the TPMS message, it means that a sensor battery has gone, pop to a National chain of tyre fitters and they can read which one has gone and fit a & code a new one for only £££ rather than the £££ Ford will charge for the diagnostic, and the ££££ for a new one.

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback