We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Prepaid Cards

Options

Comments

• Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    rog2 wrote: »
    I only have the cashplus 'Gold' Mastercard - I have only had one 'comment' - at a hotel, when the receptionist said 'Oh that's a new one - haven't seen one like that before.' I refrained from the obvious comments. :rotfl: :rotfl:

We had a similar experience when we used ours at a hotel. Unfortunately I don't seem to have the same restraint as you because I couldn't resist saying it was a "card designed for bankrupts and was the only one we could get".:rotfl: :rotfl:

It cost me a not so subtle kick on my shins:eek: but it was worth it to see the look on the recpetionists face.:D
  • cinnabar
    cinnabar Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    NekoZombie wrote: »
    I had that when I used my Electron card to pay for dinner with friends. One said, 'oh , I bank with the Co-op too but my card doesn't look like that'. :rolleyes:

Heh, my mum banks with the Co-op and has the 'normal' Visa debit card - she was quite jealous of my lovely minty green Co-op card as hers is mainly brown!
  • piggeh
    piggeh Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The other thing to consider is how many outlets you have near you to top it up. I have a masetro card as it allows me to go to loads of paypoint shops and top it up there. When I had a mastercard I had to stand in queue at the post office and it was a lot of hassle. Have some late night shops and petrol stations that are paypoint so can drop in at almost any time and put money on the card.

Don't really have too many problems with acceptance - a couple of internet sites - when I'm out I always use cash anyway.
    matched betting: £879.63
  • NekoZombie
    NekoZombie Posts: 1,664 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Remember you can top up the Mastercard online by transferring funds; these will show on your card within 30 mins. You can also set up a regular standing order to your Mastercard to credit it with, say, £50 per month. No-one needs to stand in a queue unless they want to :D
    BCSC Member 70:j
  • monsieur_epargnant
    Options
    So I got my 3V card today and everyone be aware that it's for ONLINE use only.

I think that's actually how I'd prefer it for now. If cash becomes a problem for me I'll go the Mastercard option to allow me to use it in the shops too. Who'd have thought bankruptcy was such fun?! ;)
    “We are not interested in the fact that the brain has the consistency of cold porridge.” - Alan Turing.
  • bakerfa
    bakerfa Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I got a cashplus mastercard specifically because I need to hire a car. Am one of the lucky few whose egg card dies on the 6th March...

Will be booking car hire on that before it dies but will need to pay airport fuel on something.

The problem I have is that I got both prime & cashplus as soon as I heard from Egg (which was a week after it was in the papers - my letter didn't turn up!) and I still haven't got my cashplus pin. https://www.idtprime.com also says car hire is ok online but need to ring them with questions re fuel.

Cashplus say car hire review but don't tell you that you have to have had it activated at least 1 month before you go... Needless to say I fall 4 days short at Easter. I'm going to have to load it with lots of money before I ring them & BEG. I'll also be ringing Prime asap to find out what they say. It's only fuel for God's sake but it's giving me sleepless nights as they still classify it as car hire.

Will let you know who comes out on top - or if I have to resort to cash/my mother's credit card...
  • OFI
    OFI Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    NekoZombie wrote: »
    Remember you can top up the Mastercard online by transferring funds; these will show on your card within 30 mins. You can also set up a regular standing order to your Mastercard to credit it with, say, £50 per month. No-one needs to stand in a queue unless they want to :D

Do you mean through online banking?

I have online banking through Natwest and was wondering if I could just transfer money into my account. The CashPlus website doesn't say anything about it but it does say you can set up a standing order which is basically the same thing but automated.

Do I just enter the following but as a single payment?

If you have an online bank account you should be able to set up one now. Simply input the following details:

Payee name: APS Customer PYMT AC
    Account number: 10230643
    Sort code: 15-20-25

When you are prompted for your payment reference, you must provide the 16 digit number from the front of your card to be credited.

• OFI
    OFI Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Bump for an answer? :(

I want to do some money saving, it will cost me 10p/min to phone and ask ;)
  • monsieur_epargnant
    Options
    Sorry I didn't see your message till now.

Every card I looked at when compiling this list didn't charge at all for transfers from your own bank. That's why I compiled the other charges as that's what made them confusingly different. I personally can't vouch for the rapid credit on the Cards though. When I do online transfers to my Mastercard (Sun Prapaid) they take 4 days to show.

Specifically regarding your question Cashplus would regard online banking as a "Cash Topup" and therefore free.
    “We are not interested in the fact that the brain has the consistency of cold porridge.” - Alan Turing.
  • Waspeze
    Waspeze Posts: 2,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure about your card but that's exactly (quoting 16 digit number etc) what I do with my virgin one, just do a transfer once a month. It does take a few days to credit though.
    :hello:
    Save a little money each month and at the end of the year you’ll be surprised at how little you have.
    An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family