We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Prepaid Cards

Options
I do alot of online shopping and the Visa Electron card that comes with my Co Op account is not much use so Im looking at a pre paid card, can anyone recommend one?

Comments

• philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pretty big discussion here, I found a while ago though if somewhere online didnt take electron if I put through again as visa it usually works.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=611741
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's what I find to Phil.

The major one's that don't accept it are Tesco online, National Rail and Travel Lodge/Inn.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Gaz1971
    Gaz1971 Posts: 488 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    From what I have read they are fine for in person transactions, most places take electron, its online theres a problem.One problem I will have is due to no bank account at present I am going to owe on bills that are normally paid by DD and I will want to phone up and make the missed payment by card. I have checked and my electricity/gas company dont accept Electron
  • philnicandamy
    Options
    Gaz1971 wrote: »
    From what I have read they are fine for in person transactions, most places take electron, its online theres a problem.One problem I will have is due to no bank account at present I am going to owe on bills that are normally paid by DD and I will want to phone up and make the missed payment by card. I have checked and my electricity/gas company dont accept Electron

Strangley I found the same problem with my water rates....till i'd set up direct debits i'd asked them to send me a paper bill which I paid at either the post office or anywhere that displays the P symbol (below)

paypoint.gif
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • tigerfeet2006
    Options
    Strange that I've never had a problem paying any of my utilities or insurances using my Electron.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • methekidsandthecat
    Options
    Hi Gaz1971

I have found the same thing and was thinking of getting a prepaid card. Due to a recent extended bout of ill health I wanted to do the weekly shop on line but was frustated that Tesco's do not accept Electron.

I have found it difficult to choose a card.

I have read somewhere that it is thought that these type of cards will become much more acceptable as they are in some other counties.

Me
    November NSD 1/10
    Weight loss - 7lbs from the 41 I need to loose = 34 to go
  • Gaz1971
    Options
    I hate the PO, my local ones useless
  • Gaz1971
    Options
    Hi Gaz1971

I have found the same thing and was thinking of getting a prepaid card. Due to a recent extended bout of ill health I wanted to do the weekly shop on line but was frustated that Tesco's do not accept Electron.

I have found it difficult to choose a card.

I have read somewhere that it is thought that these type of cards will become much more acceptable as they are in some other counties.

Me

I have read that today, Electrons more popular in Europe. I also have a habit of shopping online at Tescos so Electrons no use to me. I like the idea of the pre pay cards you can top up online or on the phone
  • cinnabar
    Options
    Pretty big discussion here, I found a while ago though if somewhere online didnt take electron if I put through again as visa it usually works.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=611741

According to the 'fact sheet' for Electron on the Visa website http://www.corporate.visa.com/md/fs/consumer/visadebit.jsp
    anywhere that takes Visa should take Electron
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cinnabar wrote: »
    According to the 'fact sheet' for Electron on the Visa website http://www.corporate.visa.com/md/fs/consumer/visadebit.jsp
    anywhere that takes Visa should take Electron

Should do, but not always the case, cinnabar. I think that anyone who takes VISA can include VISA ELECTRON on their terminal, but some retailers, including Tesco, don't - possibly because people under 18 can get Visa Electron Cards and could use them to get booze. :confused:

It is strange - I have an Italian Visa Electron pre-pay card, for when I'm in Italy - it costs €8.00 from the Post Office - and it is accepted all over, in Italy.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family