We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Prepaid Cards

Options

Comments

• fiveyearplan
    fiveyearplan Posts: 10,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it just Tesco online that doesn't take electron? What about in store?

:j :j

• rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it just Tesco online that doesn't take electron? What about in store?

Apparently some people HAVE had problems in store, fyp. :confused:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We've not had problems with Tesco express. We have no big Tesco near us.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • scaredwitless32
    Options
    Just out of interest, on Quidco just now, the SUN , is offering a pre pay card, £5 cash back and £5 on card with first 'top up'(min of £10). The cost for the card is £6.50, (minus the cash back = £1.50 outlay). Have not really read up on any of the other cards on offer so cannot comment on the charges................... might interest someone lol
  • NekoZombie
    NekoZombie Posts: 1,664 Forumite
    Options
    Just found this:

The cashplus Gold card remains the only prepaid card on the UK market that automatically provides customers with purchase protection on goods and services purchased on the card. This is the same protection enjoyed by credit card customers, enforced under section 75 of the credit consumer act (CCA). The means that you will be protected in the event of a retailer going bankrupt, or goods not being received etc.

What's not so good?

The cashplus card still charges high cash withdrawal fees. These remain uncompetitive when compared to some other prepaid cards. Whilst there are two products on offer, one for frequent users and one for low use users, cash advances fees remain the same for each product.
    BCSC Member 70:j
  • NekoZombie
    Options
    Also:

Which Card Type?

Prepaid MasterCard, Prepaid Maestro or Prepaid Visa?

They are all pre-paid cards with guaranteed acceptance, so does it really make a difference? My prepaid Maestro card will be accepted at the same merchant locations as my Prepaid MasterCard or Visa card won't it?
    Well, the simple answer is no! Whilst your prepaid card will have the same acceptance as a Maestro or Electron Debit card issued on a UK bank account, or MasterCard credit card, acceptance varies on a large scale.
    prepaid-maestro.jpgMaestro acceptance is continuously improving, and card acceptance is currently around 960,000 locations and internet sites in the UK, and 7 million locations world wide. Over 100 countries accept Maestro. But, many do not, so be sure to check acceptance before purchasing a prepaid Maestro card for your holiday money or international money transfer. Maestro prepaid cards can be used at the ATM internationally, wherever you see the Maestro or Cirrus payment mark.
    prepaid-mastercard.jpgMasterCard is currently accepted around the globe at merchant outlets and ATM machines, where you see the MasterCard (or Maestro/Cirrus) sign. You can use your prepaid Master card at more than 24.6 million locations worldwide.
    visa.pngA Visa Electron pre-paid card works like a Visa credit or debit card, with the exception that each transaction must be electronically authorised. Your Prepaid Electron card is accepted at over 12 million electronic merchant locations worldwide, in over 160 countries. Visa Electron is accepted at over 1 million ATM’s displaying the Visa or PLUS payment mark.
    Quick Prepaid Card Acceptance statistics
    • Best Pre-paid Card Acceptance is MasterCard with Global acceptance at 24.6 million locations
    • Next choice is Visa Electron with Global acceptance at 12 million locations
    • Least accepted payment card is Pre-paid Maestro with Global acceptance at just 7 million locations
    prepaid-acceptance.jpg
  • NekoZombie
    Options
    As you can see Mastercard is the best choice in terms of global acceptance. Shockingly Visa Electron is more widely accepted than Maestro.

All the info above was from http://www.which-prepaid-card.co.uk
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In Italy - VISA Electron is the 'pre-pay' card of choice, and is extremely widely accepted. It costs €8.00, from the Italian Post Office - I use it on my frequent visits to Italy - it's less risky than cash and cheaper than travellers' cheques.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    That was interesting Neko,:T

We've got Electron Cards and Pre-paid Mastercards and the only thing that causes a problem is hiring a car abroad. :mad: :mad:

I appreciate it's not something you need to do once a month, unfortunately, but when you do it can be very difficult to get around it.:rolleyes:

Richard
  • NekoZombie
    Options
    So how do you get round the car hiring issue Rich? Cash deposit?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family