Gas Meter Still Increasing Whilst Gas Isolated (Siemens/Landis+Gyr E6S)

Options

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Use a spanner to turn it gently on and off a few times so that ends up fully shut off,  but it's starting to look like the meter is faulty.
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,407 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Ectophile said:
    If it's still going up with the gas off, then you have one of the dodgy Landis+Gyr meters that goes wrong when the battery runs low.  There have been a few that just keep recording gas usage.  On this forum, a previous poster reported that their meter was still going up after the gas fitter had completely removed it from the pipework.

Open a formal complaint, and keep making a nuisance of yourself until they send someone to investigate.  Then insist on a bill refund back to the date when you originally asked for the meter to be checked.
    Yes, that's where i'm heading. I'm now really annoyed i didn't pursue finding out how to isolate the meter last year but this has given me the additional confidence that it is a meter issue and nothing else.
  • MeteredOut
    edited 9 June 2023 at 6:00PM
    Options
    Gerry1 said:
    Use a spanner to turn it gently on and off a few times so that ends up fully shut off,  but it's starting to look like the meter is faulty.
    Cheers, have done that to get it to 90 degrees and its still rising.

• Gerry1
    Options
    Hard to see on the photos, but it looks like it's showing 'b' on the display?
    If so, it's the Low Battery warning.  Forumites have reported problems with L&G meters when the battery is failing.
  • MeteredOut
    Options
    Gerry1 said:
    Hard to see on the photos, but it looks like it's showing 'b' on the display?
    If so, it's the Low Battery warning.  Forumites have reported problems with L&G meters when the battery is failing.
    Yes, see posts above. It varies between b and d (regularly) C (sometimes) and I've also seen E once or twice.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The early electronic gas meters can self increment even if the battery is good, you really need to get an official test.

• MeteredOut
    edited 15 June 2023 at 1:59PM
    Options
    Quick update - after a few more phone calls, I have finally managed to speak to someone at EDF who can the request in for an OFMAT test. This has been sent to their gas metering team.

However, they also asked for photos of the last 7 days of meter readings, which I have provided. I did this before and the metering team looked at them and said there was no discrepancy, so they refused to take things further.

Their mailbox could also not accept the video showing the meter increasing even when isolated (it was compressed/reduced as much as I could).

Fingers crossed they actually schedule the test...
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 June 2023 at 4:00PM
    Options
    are you sure 'holiday mode' is supposed to use zero gas ?

you could try turning the electrical.power to the boiler off and see if the meter increases
  • Gerry1
    Options
    km1500 said:
    are you sure 'holiday mode' is supposed to use zero gas ?

you could try turning the electrical.power to the boiler off and see if the meter increases
    The OP has used the emergency shut off lever and found the meter reading still increases.  You can't get more shut off than that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback