🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

trading 212

Options

Comments

• Alex9384
    Alex9384 Posts: 950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Aidanmc said:

Yes, as already mentioned you can transfer funds from your Invest account to ISA account and still get cashback.
    On the Invest account click on 3 dashes at top, then Manage funds, then the blue button at bottom Move funds

Thanks. I will do that then.
    The ISA balance is not earning any interest though. So I think I'll transfer 20k in there, then withdraw after a week or so, leaving some 6-7k in there to invest.

EPICA - the best symphonic metal band in the world !

• gravel_2
    gravel_2 Posts: 276 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Alex9384 said:
    Aidanmc said:

Yes, as already mentioned you can transfer funds from your Invest account to ISA account and still get cashback.
    On the Invest account click on 3 dashes at top, then Manage funds, then the blue button at bottom Move funds

The ISA balance is not earning any interest though. So I think I'll transfer 20k in there, then withdraw after a week or so, leaving some 6-7k in there to invest.
    Not clear from your post what your intention is but note that if you intend to withdraw from the T212 ISA, it's not flexible. So if you pay in 20k that's your ISA allowance for the year regardless of what you do next.

Also you can earn 5.2% on cash in the ISA.
  • Aidanmc
    Aidanmc Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Alex9384 said:
    Aidanmc said:

As mentioned you can currently earn 5.2% interest on uninvested cash, but you have to accept that your cash can be invested in QMMF's.

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 May at 8:18AM
    Options
    Personally I don't like T212 as the user interface seems to be aimed at people wanting to gamble on US companies but still signed up for the experience, free share (which I sold) and cashback on contributions. The interest rate doesn't really bother me as I could always buy a money market fund elsewhere.
    Having held accounts at the free trio of T212, Freetrade (only GIAs free now) and InvestEngine then the latter would be my preference. My main S&S ISA is currently with II as the cashback offer they made was multiples of the likely account charges for the first year so it's even better than free they are paying me.
  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Alex9384 said:
    I quickly checked the section 104 and it mentions "same class" rather than same security. Does that mean the same asset class? That would mean any stock, as far as I understand it.
    No. It means the same class of share for the same company.
  • Alex9384
    Options
    gravel_2 said:

Not clear from your post what your intention is but note that if you intend to withdraw from the T212 ISA, it's not flexible. So if you pay in 20k that's your ISA allowance for the year regardless of what you do next.

How exactly does that allowance work?
    Let's say you pay in 20k, then buy stocks worth of 20k which then increase in value to 22k and you sell them. Do you not pay any tax on those 2k gains then?

• gravel_2
    gravel_2 Posts: 276 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Alex9384 said:
    gravel_2 said:

How exactly does that allowance work?
    Let's say you pay in 20k, then buy stocks worth of 20k which then increase in value to 22k and you sell them. Do you not pay any tax on those 2k gains then?
    Once money is in an ISA wrapper any interest, capital gain on dividend income is tax free. That's the point of ISAs.
  • Alex9384
    Options
    gravel_2 said:

Once money is in an ISA wrapper any interest, capital gain on dividend income is tax free. That's the point of ISAs.

Thanks. So it doesn't matter if the interest or capital gain takes the balance above 20k.

Is there any difference between 212 invest account and 212 ISA, other than the ISA being tax free?
    I mean, in terms of functionality, how buying and selling works, etc.?

• Alex9384
    Options
    Alexland said:
    Personally I don't like T212 as the user interface seems to be aimed at people wanting to gamble on US companies...
    Is there a particular problem with buying/trading US companies compared to UK companies, other than Fx risk?

• Alex9384
    Options
    So I deposited 20k in the 212 ISA and the £200 cashback is already in my 212 Invest account.

Now, what if I transferred that 212 ISA to InvestEngine for another bonus?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure