🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Savings/investment DDs and debit card deposits- An updated list

Options

Comments

• Bridlington1
    Bridlington1 Posts: 2,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    For the MoneyBox Simple Saver, deposits and withdrawals can be made in whole pounds only - I've checked this with them, and they said it is not intentional as such, rather just a limitation of their system.
    Withdrawals don't have to be made in whole pounds. On 2nd May I withdrew £18.03 from my simple saver. See:

Maybe it is a limitation of the iOS app, the inbuilt MoneyBox keyboard doesn't have a decimal point on mine for some reason. I remember seeing a post somewhere like this about Zopa, can't remember if they ever got to the bottom of why there was a difference.
    I've just remembered when withdrawing some money from moneybox. There's no decimal point on the keyboard on mine either. I just click "withdraw all" when I go to type in the amount I'd like to withdraw and if the total balance isn't a whole pound it puts the decimal point in for you.

I've just withdrawn the whole balance each time so never noticed the decimal point limitation at the time. I don't know if this will work for IOS but it works on my android phone.
    Unfortunately there is no decimal place for me on the deposit screen either, so I cannot work out how to deposit pennies (Moneybox said this was normal apparently). I think the only way in which I’d get pennies in the account is interest accrued, but I haven’t earned any yet
    I believe they have a round ups feature. I haven't tried it myself but if you make a debit card payment ending in 99p from your nominated account would moneybox not round up 1p into the account?

I've done a DD reshuffle recently so moneybox is now linked to Co-op so I doubt I'd be able to try this myself but it's worth a thought.
    It appears I can use round ups after all. As a slight experiment I have linked one of my Natwest accounts to Moneybox as a round up account and made a £1.01 debit card deposit from Natwest into NS&I. If either this Tuesday or the following Monday I get a £2.99 DD coming out of Co-op then I will have stumbled across a way to deposit pennies into Moneybox whilst simultaneously earning slightly more interest on the digital regular saver.
  • Bridlington1
    Options
    I thought it worth mentioning that Wombat invest are currently doing a £10 welcome bonus for those who open an account with them (with no minimum deposit required), though if you know anyone with a Wombat account already they can refer you to them so that you both get the £10.

I thought I'd mention this here because I've just discovered Wombat do a DD for their paid Standard plan (£1 monthly fee).
  • ircE
    ircE Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The BIG Exchange have a minimum monthly payment of £25 if you are opening a S&S ISA, or a £100 one-off opening investment. Having done the latter, the minimum monthly payment is still £25. You can pay in one-off investments by debit card at any time.
    They are currently offering 2% cashback for transfers in up to £600 until 30th June.
  • pokemaster
    pokemaster Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 June 2023 at 10:51PM
    Options
    I use Monzo for Debit Card transactions (For 2 of the Halifax Reward Accounts)
    You have to send a money request from Monzo to yourself (max £500 per request, max £1,000 per month) (Believe this is a rolling 30 days month)

Also regarding Monese, I believe they now have a 1% fee for debit card transactions

• Bridlington1
    Options
    For the MoneyBox Simple Saver, deposits and withdrawals can be made in whole pounds only - I've checked this with them, and they said it is not intentional as such, rather just a limitation of their system.
    Withdrawals don't have to be made in whole pounds. On 2nd May I withdrew £18.03 from my simple saver. See:

Maybe it is a limitation of the iOS app, the inbuilt MoneyBox keyboard doesn't have a decimal point on mine for some reason. I remember seeing a post somewhere like this about Zopa, can't remember if they ever got to the bottom of why there was a difference.
    I've just remembered when withdrawing some money from moneybox. There's no decimal point on the keyboard on mine either. I just click "withdraw all" when I go to type in the amount I'd like to withdraw and if the total balance isn't a whole pound it puts the decimal point in for you.

I've just withdrawn the whole balance each time so never noticed the decimal point limitation at the time. I don't know if this will work for IOS but it works on my android phone.
    Unfortunately there is no decimal place for me on the deposit screen either, so I cannot work out how to deposit pennies (Moneybox said this was normal apparently). I think the only way in which I’d get pennies in the account is interest accrued, but I haven’t earned any yet
    I believe they have a round ups feature. I haven't tried it myself but if you make a debit card payment ending in 99p from your nominated account would moneybox not round up 1p into the account?

I've done a DD reshuffle recently so moneybox is now linked to Co-op so I doubt I'd be able to try this myself but it's worth a thought.
    It appears I can use round ups after all. As a slight experiment I have linked one of my Natwest accounts to Moneybox as a round up account and made a £1.01 debit card deposit from Natwest into NS&I. If either this Tuesday or the following Monday I get a £2.99 DD coming out of Co-op then I will have stumbled across a way to deposit pennies into Moneybox whilst simultaneously earning slightly more interest on the digital regular saver.
    It appears round ups aren't a way of getting pennies into Moneybox after all. I've just checked my Co-op online banking and my moneybox DD this week was £3 so they appear to have rounded it up to the nearest whole pound. Oh well worth a shot I suppose.
  • pokemaster
    edited 21 June 2023 at 11:34PM
    Options
    I haven't personally got this account yet but "Starling" have a "Settle Up" feature which allows deposits via debit card...

Even mentions paying yourself, like it knows you are gonna use it for Round Ups... Max £250 a day

(Currently being mentioned/talked about in the Regular Saver thread)

• ForumUser7
    ForumUser7 Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone found that debit card deposits into NSandI just now are debiting from current account balance, triggering an authorised payment receipt via email, but not reflecting on the NS&I balance on the app or website?
    If you want me to definitely see your reply, please tag me @forumuser7 Thank you.

N.B. (Amended from Forum Rules): You must investigate, and check several times, before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my content, as nothing I post is advice, rather it is personal opinion and is solely for discussion purposes. I research before my posts, and I never intend to share anything that is misleading, misinforming, or out of date, but don't rely on everything you read. Some of the information changes quickly, is my own opinion or may be incorrect. Verify anything you read before acting on it to protect yourself because you are responsible for any action you consequently make... DYOR, YMMV etc.
  • pokemaster
    edited 22 June 2023 at 9:29PM
    Options
    Has anyone found that debit card deposits into NSandI just now are debiting from current account balance, triggering an authorised payment receipt via email, but not reflecting on the NS&I balance on the app or website?

I've always had email receipts for years, I felt like when I did it this morning just after midnight the NS&I showed the balance including the debit card top ups I did at the time for the direct saver, when I went into it though there was a pending balance and over all balance because I have about £65 in there was gonna withdraw £50 but said some of it was still pending, think it takes like a week to go through their end even if it comes straight out and processed 2 days in Natwest or RBS
  • ForumUser7
    ForumUser7 Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    Options

I've always had email receipts for years, I felt like when I did it this morning just after midnight the NS&I showed the balance including the debit card top ups I did at the time for the direct saver, when I went into it though there was a pending balance and over all balance because I have about £65 in there was gonna withdraw £50 but said some of it was still pending, think it takes like a week to go through their end even if it comes straight out and processed 2 days in Natwest or RBS
    NS&I take 7 banking days to clear deposits. The weird thing was usually debit card payments show up instantly in the transactions list, and the balance (not the available balance one of course), but this time nothing showed. They are there now - must’ve just been a delay. Back to round ups I go 😂
    If you want me to definitely see your reply, please tag me @forumuser7 Thank you.

N.B. (Amended from Forum Rules): You must investigate, and check several times, before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my content, as nothing I post is advice, rather it is personal opinion and is solely for discussion purposes. I research before my posts, and I never intend to share anything that is misleading, misinforming, or out of date, but don't rely on everything you read. Some of the information changes quickly, is my own opinion or may be incorrect. Verify anything you read before acting on it to protect yourself because you are responsible for any action you consequently make... DYOR, YMMV etc.
  • pokemaster
    Options
    I haven't personally got this account yet but "Starling" have a "Settle Up" feature which allows deposits via debit card...

Even mentions paying yourself, like it knows you are gonna use it for Round Ups... Max £250 a day

(Currently being mentioned/talked about in the Regular Saver thread)

So I set up a starling account and used my card details to send £1.01 it bounced, even though I had approved it in the app, it told me to ring the number on the back of my card. (After 15mins all was cleared up and it went through the second time)

Spoke to RBS fraud team they said it could just be an amount that was flagged due to fraudsters using that amount they asked me some of my details, phone number, sent me a text, email address and then said all good, have unblocked it.

I then managed to deposit in the starling account using debit card (could have just be a fluke, but just in case it happens to anyone else trying it, nothing to worry about just a quick chat with the RBS team and all was good. Could have also been because it was the first time I had used it on my card who knows, but I make multiple daily transactions so its not like its really irregular use of thee card as the card has many a £1.01 transactions on it, prob just got unlucky but thought I would post about it just in case it happens to anyone else trying to use this way for the roundups
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure