Options

Comments

• Band7
    Band7 Posts: 2,285 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Catplan said:
    Very useful thread, thanks.

YBS is listed under accounts for debit card payments.

I also use Direct Debits with many of my YBS accounts. I think my main one is NLA, but from looking at easy access internet saver plus, it looks entirely possible to setup DD’s here as well.
    The YBS Internet Saver Plus supports deposits by debit card but no DDs.

AFAIK, the only YBS account you can have DDs on is their Web Saver (NLA). You can also make debit card deposits into that account
  • Catplan
    Catplan Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Catplan said:

I also use Direct Debits with many of my YBS accounts. I think my main one is NLA, but from looking at easy access internet saver plus, it looks entirely possible to setup DD’s here as well.
    @catplan The currently available Issue 13? If so, how please? I hold a couple of Internet Saver Plus issues, but I don't think DDs can be set up from them
    Full website, select the account, manage regular deposits, setup new regular deposit enter amount sort code account number etc. I can do it on mine issue but it’s not a current issue. It’s not possible on rainy day saver or regular saver (which is NLA) or ISA so maybe not on newer accounts. I have issue 2 and a web saver that allows direct debits. The three newer accounts opened in the last 12 months don’t have online options for setting up DD’s however.
  • datz
    datz Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 May 2023 at 8:47PM
    Options
    datz said:

Miscelanious DDs:

Charities (please be nice)

Credit cards

Credit unions

Paypal

I had mentioned this in the old thread, but using HMRC for direct debits has advantages (for example, via self assessment).
    • You can set up an unlimited number of direct debit mandates.
    • You can set them up with an unlimited number of current accounts.
    • You can customize the payment plans under each direct debit mandate (one-off / regular).
    • Once a DD mandate has been set up, you can then delete the payment plan(s) under it and just leave an empty direct debit mandate sitting on your account (but remember that inactive mandates eventually get removed).
    • The minimum payment amount if £1
    If you are someone that has to pay tax, for example via self assessment, then this is an easy way of meeting all direct debit requirements. Also worth noting that the vast majority (I won't risk saying all) of switching incentives require an active direct debit mandate - pulling a payment through the mandate is not necessary, so the empty mandate option above works well (I most recently used it with the TSB switch and stay offer).

This, of course, assumes you can tolerate the terrible experience that using HMRC's website is...

Can you cash back out the funds to your bank account electronically please? I don’t currently pay any tax, so wouldn’t need to build up a balance etc.

As mentioned by someone else, probably not advisable to do so... but you can risk antagonizing HMRC if you really want to and let us know how it went ;). However, plenty of people do need to file self assessment tax returns, and if you are one of those people then it just provides another (often overlooked) very easy way of meeting DD requirements.

In your case, I would probably just annoy someone like Paypal instead. If you use the Paypal app, you can initiate 1p direct debit payments (by adding directly to your paypal balance) - though keep in mind that they throttle them at 4 DDs per 24 hours (and maybe some longer term limit I have bumped into in the past, but can't quantify exactly what it was). If you don't use the app and have to use the website, you can only send (DD-pulled payments) to other people, rather than directly adding to your own balance.

• ForumUser7
    ForumUser7 Posts: 2,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Catplan said:
    Catplan said:

@catplan The currently available Issue 13? If so, how please? I hold a couple of Internet Saver Plus issues, but I don't think DDs can be set up from them
    Full website, select the account, manage regular deposits, setup new regular deposit enter amount sort code account number etc. I can do it on mine issue but it’s not a current issue. It’s not possible on rainy day saver or regular saver (which is NLA) or ISA so maybe not on newer accounts. I have issue 2 and a web saver that allows direct debits. The three newer accounts opened in the last 12 months don’t have online options for setting up DD’s however.
    I also hold an Internet Saver Plus Issue 2 but it is a matured make me a saver. I have checked, and I don't have that option - so they must have some system in place to only allow it for accounts of this type opened before a certain date.
    If you want me to definitely see your reply, please tag me @forumuser7 Thank you.

N.B. (Amended from Forum Rules): You must investigate, and check several times, before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my content, as nothing I post is advice, rather it is personal opinion and is solely for discussion purposes. I research before my posts, and I never intend to share anything that is misleading, misinforming, or out of date, but don't rely on everything you read. Some of the information changes quickly, is my own opinion or may be incorrect. Verify anything you read before acting on it to protect yourself because you are responsible for any action you consequently make... DYOR, YMMV etc.
  • ForumUser7
    Options
    Does anyone know what the minimum operating balance of the MoneyBox Simple Saver is please? I think the minimum opening balance is £1, but I’m wondering if you have to still leave it at this level when you do any withdrawals. Thanks
    If you want me to definitely see your reply, please tag me @forumuser7 Thank you.

N.B. (Amended from Forum Rules): You must investigate, and check several times, before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my content, as nothing I post is advice, rather it is personal opinion and is solely for discussion purposes. I research before my posts, and I never intend to share anything that is misleading, misinforming, or out of date, but don't rely on everything you read. Some of the information changes quickly, is my own opinion or may be incorrect. Verify anything you read before acting on it to protect yourself because you are responsible for any action you consequently make... DYOR, YMMV etc.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know what the minimum operating balance of the MoneyBox Simple Saver is please? I think the minimum opening balance is £1, but I’m wondering if you have to still leave it at this level when you do any withdrawals. Thanks
    AFAIK there is no minimum balance requirement. You can only make a withdrawal once a month though.
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ircE said:
    Thank you for making this post!
    My small contributions: 
    Cruse, a charity which offers support to the bereaved, takes DDs from £1 and they set mine up within 1 week.
    The Independent Food Aid Network, which takes a slightly different approach to food poverty compared to the Trussell Trust, takes DDs from £1.
    The Wikimedia Foundation, which operates Wikipedia, takes DDs from £1.
    As per usual - please donate more if you can, cover the processing payments if you can, add Gift Aid if you can, etc...
    There are usually various offers that are easily findable with a quick search for newspaper/magazine subscriptions, including cashback offers, for people who want to do something different. Though some of these can be difficult to cancel!
    I remember other forumites have also mentioned lottery subscriptions which might be fun, though I have no idea about that kind of thing...
    Anyone mind explaining why the saving/investment accounts taking payments by debit card are so notable?

I cant't see how to set up a DD with Wikipedia. The only options I see are to set up a recurring charge to a credit/debit card, PayPal or Google Pay. Am I missing something?

• gizz_10
    gizz_10 Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Under dealing accounts - Interactive Investor allow monthly contribution DD into the GIA - min £25 
  • ForumUser7
    Options
    For the MoneyBox Simple Saver, deposits and withdrawals can be made in whole pounds only - I've checked this with them, and they said it is not intentional as such, rather just a limitation of their system.

• Bridlington1
    Bridlington1 Posts: 2,528 Forumite
    Options
    For the MoneyBox Simple Saver, deposits and withdrawals can be made in whole pounds only - I've checked this with them, and they said it is not intentional as such, rather just a limitation of their system.
    Withdrawals don't have to be made in whole pounds. On 2nd May I withdrew £18.03 from my simple saver. See:

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback