TalkTalk added some boost nonsense for calls when I neither use phones, nor did I ever request it?

Is this legal? Surely it's fraud? And recently they cut me offline, which is the only service I do use, because I refused to pay for the boost nonsense!

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,906 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    You'll have to give us more info.  What do you mean by boost nonsense?  Do you mean they added something to your "plan" without your permission?  And then charged you for it??  Yes if you don't pay they are likely to cut your service but obviously you need to ensure you have complained and they have answered that and then you could escalate to the ombudsperson.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Well they have a easy way to cancel boosts

1. Login to My Account.
    2. Choose Profile & Settings from the toolbar.
    3. Select My Telephone Settings from the dropdown menu.
    4. Choose the boosts you'd like to remove by unticking the boxes next to them.
    5. When you're happy, scroll to the bottom of the page and choose the Update button.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,799 Forumite
    edited 22 April 2023 at 8:05PM

1. Login to My Account....
    But how easy is it to do this when the OP says 'they cut me offline' (whatever that means)?
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,799 Forumite
           :) 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,335 Forumite
    Alderbank said:

But how easy is it to do this when the OP says 'they cut me offline' (whatever that means)?
    Well until Op comes back & explains a bit more, who knows. But given they posted here. They must be able to do it. 
    So is cut off, as they have not paid?
    Life in the slow lane
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    It's a shame your post was so short of detail - impossible to advise without more to go on.

However my personal list of customer service hell has talktalk in a healthy 2nd place, narrowly

1st Virgin Media
    2nd TalkTalk
    3rd Sky
  • questionings
    questionings Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 25 April 2023 at 4:14PM
    Brie said:
    You'll have to give us more info.  What do you mean by boost nonsense?  Do you mean they added something to your "plan" without your permission?  And then charged you for it??  Yes if you don't pay they are likely to cut your service but obviously you need to ensure you have complained and they have answered that and then you could escalate to the ombudsperson.
    "Unlimited UK Calls Boost". And, yeah, supposedly it was free for however long, despite never asking for it, and then suddenly it wasn't free, but I only noticed some months later. I've been wrangling with them with complaints for about a week now... would it be timely now to go to the ombuds?

(Removed by Forum Team)

1. Login to My Account.
    2. Choose Profile & Settings from the toolbar.
    3. Select My Telephone Settings from the dropdown menu.
    4. Choose the boosts you'd like to remove by unticking the boxes next to them.
    5. When you're happy, scroll to the bottom of the page and choose the Update button.

I only noticed it was happening after some months, and now they keep refusing (although every different person a different version, being a shambles) to refund me. So, my question is about the legality about suddenly imposing some spurious thing to get more money than for many other months before.

Alderbank said:

Yep, it was a nightmare to do anything... the geniuses wanted me to pay by disabling my ability to pay, I swear. Some unsecured wifi connection, then, helped me... but I seriously hope no one notices it and steals my identity, or something... all due to TT's greed, goddammit... I got a connection now, though, and it's cancelled, but they refuse to refund me, so I'm on the verge of finding another provider...

Alderbank said:

Well until Op comes back & explains a bit more, who knows. But given they posted here. They must be able to do it. 
    So is cut off, as they have not paid?

I refused to pay for this boost nonsense... they literally cut me off for a damn 16, when over many months they stole 90!

robatwork said:
    It's a shame your post was so short of detail - impossible to advise without more to go on.

However my personal list of customer service hell has talktalk in a healthy 2nd place, narrowly

1st Virgin Media
    2nd TalkTalk
    3rd Sky

Their service is supposed to be positive? I just told them today that a circus is more organized than them (which, to be fair, choreography is key)... literally every single person says something different. Although, VM (ah, nevermind, that was BT that did the following, VM just didn't have coverage when I moved once...) was horrid when it came to moving houses... some years ago they made some mistake that supposedly was rare, and couldn't connect me again for some long time, so I just went to find another provider, then... to greedy TT...
  • goater78
    goater78 Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic
    It would have been in your original contract. You just didn’t bother reading it. Annoying I agree but it’s not fraud. 

Can’t remember if it is still the case but it used to affect your credit file if you had missed payments against a utility bill. Could lead to a CCJ this £16. 

Might be worth paying what you owe while you take this further. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback