IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

dcbc Debt Collectors chasing Parking Fine

Options

Comments

• keithtoon
    keithtoon Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Update:: Brother paid the £170. So this post is now history.
    Thank you for the help but my brother buckled to the threatening letters he received :(
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,516 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Groan!                        
  • B789
    B789 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    Options
    Fools and their money! So your brother is as much a part of the scam as he has just funded them and is now marked as a "mug" and will be targetted again as such.
  • 1505grandad
    1505grandad Posts: 2,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    To be fair there are an awful lot of them making this a very profitable scam for the unregulated industry:-

"Steve Gooding, director of the RAC Foundation, said:

“If only the rest of the economy was booming like the private parking sector, perhaps we’d all be feeling more prosperous.

“Private parking looks set to be a billion pound-a-year business, if it isn’t already, with demands for up to £100 a time being sent out to drivers at the rate of more than one every three seconds."
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    keithtoon said:
    Thank you for the help but my brother buckled to the threatening letters he received :(

That's awful news.

He'd have paid nothing at all if he'd just defended a claim because they always discontinue.

Will you both at least come back in August and tell the Government what you think about the extortion and the added fake £70 'fee'?

You'll have seen me post about the Public Consultation opening in a month or so.  Be part of it with us.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    keithtoon said:
    🤦‍♂️

He missed the opportunity for a guaranteed inclusion in the following thread:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6377263/dcb-legal-record-of-private-parking-court-claim-discontinuations/p1
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good grief, the debt collectors couldn't do diddly squat, he gave them £70 to help buy another Range Rover for the boss!
    The parking company are running a money making scam why would they phone the pub and cancel their scam invoice, which the pub could just cancel at any time.
    Expensive lesson learned we hope!!
  • keithtoon
    keithtoon Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    My youngest has been given a parking fine via UKPC he has lost his appeal and now he will appeal via POPLA 
     but he has been threatened with a increased fine.My son is trying to deal with it himself but the increase in the fine is making feel he should just pay up. I told him to wait till I find out more about this *increase* as I feel its wrong!!!! 
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 3 February at 2:20PM
    Options
    No, it's perfectly normal that if you appeal there is no discount.  Happens with Council PCNs too. This isn't an 'increase' and he wouldn't be paying anyway even if he loses!

No idea why he isn't just ignoring UKPC.  POPLA isn't what I'd do.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure