Alternative fuel payment

Hi all
have many people had a problem on getting £200 alternative fuel payment?
I am on oil been on oil for many years, electricity supplier says I’m not on list  to be paid. I’ve had NO payment via my electricity supplier, so spoke to supplier again  they say I’m not on list I need to speak to some one via gov portal.
This is where the fun started.
filled form in with all evidence they required via gov portal at beginning of March.
They replied saying I’ve been payed but I have NOT had any monies from my supplier, they then said speak to local Authority the local Authority advised they are not running scheme for payment I need to speak to electrical supplier or gov dept.
went back to both they both say don’t know why not on list to be paid. All other neighbours in same post code have had there monies
gov portal then raised as a question and will investigate said be back in 3 to 5 days no reply from them.
Called again same thing but will come back in 5 to 10 days no reply.
Called again same thing but will be back to me in 10 to 20 days, but they said I may have to apply again as cannot understand why l was not paid.
not sure where I go from here as application says you cannot apply again.
Every one I speak to says if you are entitled to the payment and  you should get it as it’s a scheme run via government.
Any sensible thought?

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As nobody appears to know what's going on for your address/payment, last resort may be getting your MP involved.
  • mandarin6
    mandarin6 Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 April 2023 at 2:33PM
    M71and_be said:
    Hi all
    have many people had a problem on getting £200 alternative fuel payment?
    I am on oil been on oil for many years, electricity supplier says I’m not on list  to be paid. I’ve had NO payment via my electricity ..

...filled form in with all evidence they required via gov portal at beginning of March.

... the local Authority advised they are not running scheme for payment I need to speak to electrical supplier or gov dept.
    Called again same thing but will come back in 5 to 10 days no reply.

... Any sensible thought?
    Read the latest posts on the thread receipts from 1JUNE.

However I do have sympathy regarding the council response which is similar to mine. 

When you applied on Govt. portal did it issue you with a reference number? If so the helpline will tell you with your ref number when it was sent to your council for checking. This is important as you can then ask your council who is dealing with it and tell them the date it was sent.  Our LA thought the only households to receive AFP are low income or on benefits.  Like you after being brushed off numerous times they asked a Council officer to phone me to discuss  the £400 fuel subsidy paid by electricity suppliers. When I said I had received the payments they didn't have a clue what I wanted paying. I've put them right and sent emails but there is no guarantee they will pay up.  Send the council an email, copy to the Leader of Council and Chief Executive, attach a screenshot of your application, ask them which officer is dealing with claims, tell them its a one off payment for Alternative Fuel on top of the  £400 fuel subsidy and stress that this is not a means tested benefit.  Its important you have an email trail to prove you asked your council to pay. 
  • I have had a similar negative experience. I submitted my application 7 weeks ago and as I hadn't heard back from anyone within the 6 weeks I decided to call the helpdesk on 0808 175 3943. Managed to speak to a call centre rep who took my application number and looked up my application on the system. She informed me that my application had been rejected due to insufficient evidence. I buy my gas as a bulk delivery typically twice a year (but only once in 2022 as we were trying to save money and wait till the price went down again this year till we  topped up the tank). We pay off the total bill in monthly instalments via a DD so as part of my application I sent evidence of the bulk delivery order (for over 1300l) and a PDF statement from the gas supplier showing the balance owing on our account and showing our monthly payments to them of £95 per month. I asked the call centre assistant what additional evidence I need to provide and she said she did not know and that I should contact my local council (Wealden). I told her that I had received no correspondence from them whatsoever about my application and again she could not explain why. So I contacted my local council and of course you have to call the main switchboard and they knew nothing about the Alternative Fuel Payment scheme. The person who answered my call took my details so I'm hoping I will get a call back but the whole scheme seems poorly set-up and dis-organised. Having read other posts I get the distinct sense that councils are doing their very best to find ways not to pay out the £200. We live in a rural area and have been buying bulk gas for over 11 years to heat our home and supply the gas cooker as we are not connected to main gas. 
  • mandarin6
    edited 28 April 2023 at 8:52AM
    Frugal - Don't waste your time phoning the council as you will get nowhere. Email the Chief Executive, find the name of your Councillor also the Leader of the party in control email them too. Be polite but firm tell them you are entitled to the AFP explain why and attach supporting documentation. If you want paying its important you have written proof you wrote to your LA.
  • lohr500
    lohr500 Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 May 2023 at 10:50AM
    I am also having problems getting the £200 payment.

I received an email on the 7th March confirming my application and that I would be notified of the outcome within 6 weeks.

After the six weeks had passed I tried contacting North Yorkshire Council on 19/04/23 via their online request form, but I still haven't had a reply. 

On Wednesday this week I sent an email to the BEIS team asking why I hadn't received the payment.

This was their reply from yesterday 

Thank you for your email dated 2704/2023, regarding Alternative Fuel Payment Alternative Fund.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in resolving your enquiry.   The timescale for an escalation is 10 working days, BEIS are working through the backlog and your enquiry will be resolved as soon as possible

If you need more help, you can email us at alternativefundingGB@epgafp.beis.gov.uk or call us on 0808 175 3943.

Yours sincerely,

(Removed by Forum Team) | Contact Centre Agent

Alternative Fuel Payment Alternative Fund - Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy | Monday to Friday – 8 am to 6 pm

Telephone: 0808 175 3943

Email: alternativefundingGB@epgafp.beis.gov.uk

As soon as I saw that local councils would be involved in the scheme, I knew we would be in for a long wait  :(

• We are in the same situation.  No-one in our neighbourhood is on mains gas but none received the AFP though their electricity supplier.
    I applied through the Govt. portal on 7th March but have got nothing back.  I contacted the Govt. helpline who advised that the claim is with my local council, Maidstone BC.  I have tried contacting the council but I am getting no response back from them.
    I guess I will have to complain to my MP, but I don't hold out much hope that that will help.
  • mandarin6
    RobBird said:
    We are in the same situation.  No-one in our neighbourhood is on mains gas but none received the AFP though their electricity supplier.
    I applied through the Govt. portal on 7th March but have got nothing back.  I contacted the Govt. helpline who advised that the claim is with my local council, Maidstone BC.  I have tried contacting the council but I am getting no response back from them.
    I guess I will have to complain to my MP, but I don't hold out much hope that that will help.

You have my sympathy.  A quick look at Maidstone BC website gives details of your Mayor and Leader of the Council.  Email DavidBurton@maidstone.gov.uk he is the Leader.  Explain your circumstances and ask politely when you are going to be paid.  His address is listed as a farm so he should know about AFP.  Your council also has a complaints procedure ComplaintsandFOI@maidstone.gov.uk email them too and explain you haven't received payment despite applying on 7 March (same as me). I would keep a copy of all your emails but dont bother ringing as you will just be fobbed off.  I got paid last week but I refused to be ignored and would not let the council get away with non payment.
  • Sue444
    Sue444 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post
    I'm having problems too.  Elec supplier refused to pay (although I pay by DD and our area is off mains gas).  Applied to Gov direct.  They refused saying that elec supplier should pay me.  Appealed this on 31 March.  Helpdesk says this has now been escalated to BEIS to sort out who is going to pay me.  Am still waiting - several phone calls and emails later - having been assured that this "escalation" has been prioritised due to me waiting so long.  That was two weeks ago.  So my problem is I have nowhere to go to as BEIS has not said I'm not entitled, just that they are sorting out who is to pay.  Any advice/ideas of where I go from here? Thanks.
  • Sue444
    Sue444 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post
    Sue444 said:
    I'm having problems too.  Elec supplier refused to pay (although I pay by DD and our area is off mains gas).  Applied to Gov direct.  They refused saying that elec supplier should pay me.  Appealed this on 31 March.  Helpdesk says this has now been escalated to BEIS to sort out who is going to pay me.  Am still waiting - several phone calls and emails later - having been assured that this "escalation" has been prioritised due to me waiting so long.  That was two weeks ago.  So my problem is I have nowhere to go to as BEIS has not said I'm not entitled, just that they are sorting out who is to pay.  Any advice/ideas of where I go from here? Thanks.
    Update: Just spoken again to AFP Helpdesk.  They have checked again and it would appear that Gov believe I have been paid by British Gas (energy supplier).  However, British Gas has told me categorically that they will not pay me as they have not been informed by Gov to do so (and I have checked my online energy account again just to make sure the funds haven't been received).  So it seems that BEIS are checking up with BG to sort out what has gone wrong.  How long does it take?? Surely they could just check my account to see that I have not receive the funds.  Anyone else had this issue? It's so frustrating! 
  • tony343
    tony343 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post
    I applied for AFP for a delivery of LPG costing £633 but was refused. They said I was already receiving it by a deduction to our electricity bill. In other words, they are saying these credits are not additive. If you have one that's it. No more.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback