What age did you give children chocolate Easter eggs till?

Options
Just curiosity really and partly due to a story I read elsewhere. Unsure if this has ever been discussed here  I continued to get Easter eggs till quite a late age, well into my 20s, and used to get some Easter money too. I always put this down to my sister being 7 years younger than me and relatives not wishing to miss me out when I still lived with parents. Today I discovered because my Nan used to still send them my Mum felt she should do. Can't remember when they stopped but guessing when I had kids. I do recall my DD 15/16 in her last year at school and not having a great time in her life, feeling a bit left out when she wasn't bought any from family members  because her brother was now at Uni, her point being that when he had been the same age  as she then was, he still received them from relatives.

So I continue to buy for both my kids and also DS gf though they are 20,23, 24. I even did an Easter egg hunt for them (though DS wasn't overly enthusiastic -hahaah) and his fiancée finds them good fun because it wasn't really something she ever did as a child.  I stopped for extended family members once they passed 18 but there was no younger siblings in these cases, only children/twins.

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It’s something we have never done in our family, never had an Easter egg and don’t give any to anyone.
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My two are in their 20s, it’s just an opportunity to treat them at a point they don’t have much spare cash. One is vegan and I can add nice vegan eggs to my supermarket order. I sent the other some cash rather than post an egg and they bought some fancy biscuits instead.
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My Mum still gets me and my siblings one, I'm the youngest at 40, my eldest is 54. They are only a cheap £1 though
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’m late fifties and still get one. :smiley:
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think my mum ever bought Easter Eggs, definitely not before Easter, maybe afterwards if they were reduced ... Both my grandmas died when I was quite young but I don't remember either of them buying for us. Any eggs would have stopped when we left home, I'm sure. 

However, MIL still buys something for all of us. She would buy eggs but thinks that most of us would prefer a selection, and she bought BIL nuts because she knows he has to watch his sugar intake. She was slightly concerned that two of the boys would feel deprived because they have Significant Others and one does not, and they all got the same. So I told the single one he'd got to share with his housemate, which I think he would have done anyway. 

She made sure to buy herself a box of Lindor. :-)

Signature removed for peace of mind
  • MikeyPGT
    MikeyPGT Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Mine are in their 20s and still expect an Easter egg (as well as a Christmas stocking - though obviously not at Easter!)
    Debt Free Wannabe by 1 March 2026 

Satisfied customer of Octopus Agile - currently saving on average 33% of standard tarrif

Deep seated hatred of Scottish Power and all who sail in her - would love to see Ofgem grow a pair and actually do something about it.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep, still buy for mine - oldest 22-  and my mum buys for me,
  • Slashy
    Slashy Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm 44 and still get an Easter Egg and a Christmas stocking. I have to buy my own advent calendar though.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Never bought Easter Eggs, my kids preferred to get a book.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    My last Easter egg was at around the age of 10 and I haven't been given one since then. Similarly Mum stopped doing Birthday or Christmas presents from the age of 18 or so.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback