PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing Mashed Potato

Options
hi i have a question I have used all my potatoes and mashed them and then froze them.Now what I did I used one slice (as i had put them in a try and cut them in slices) but when I defrosted one it was all full of water and tasted funny.Any suggestions to save the other ones please?Or to do something different next time?
half scottish half italian :100%moneysaver

Comments

• rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if it will work with frozen mash, but this is something my mum use to do with left over mash (generally 1 day old). Simply put she would fry it. However, I'm not sure what would happen with defrosted frozen mash.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The water isn't really a problem. I freeze in bags in portion sizes, let it defrost slowly in the bag and then tip it into a microwave proof bowl. About half way through the heating time I take it out and mash it again, and then once more when it's done. It's usually at this last time that I add a little salt and butter - it tastes just like the real thing :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • lucylou
    lucylou Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Options
    I froze them in two or three portion sizes but as I said the water from freezing them made them taste quite watery ...is there anyway I can eliminate the excess water?
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gently heat it up in a saucepan with the lid off for a while to evaporate some of the excess water should do it. Keep mashing until it's the consistency you want.

I don't really see where you're getting your excess water from. Mine, as it defrosts in the bag shows a little water - but that isn't stuff that's come from outside anywhere, it's from the potato in the sealed bag. So, as I say, I just mash it back in :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • lucylou
    lucylou Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Options
    well to be honest I think my fridge freezer needs defrosting :eek:

thanks for the tips I 'll try them tomorrow (I'm pretending to work just now;) )
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    LOL :)

Next time try bagging your potato once it's cool. Squeeze out most of the air and shape it so it stacks nicely :)
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just microwave my mash from frozen, one minute 30 secs, then another minute for one ice cream scoop. Just keep forking it about, some of the water will re-absorb, the rest will steam up your microwave (makes it easy to wipe over too). It should taste the same as it did when fresh. If you add milk and butter when you mash them, just add less milk, you can always add it later.
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • june1970_2
    Options
    Hi

I am trying to save money so i am not buying anymore ready meals. i am going to make every thing i can from fresh.

At the moment i have a huge pan of stew in the oven which will feed the five of us for about four meals.

I have bought a huge bag of potatoes and i am sitting here wandering if i do a huge amount of mash will it be ok to freeze??, the only reason i am asking is every time i buy a big bag i end up binning a lot of them as they go off before i use them.

many thanks
    June
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes it will be fine, I froze my first ever mash 2 weeks ago, used it last night and reheated it in the microwave. It needed another whisking afterwards but it looked just as good as fresh.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep! Freeze them in portion sized amounts. We've got a thread somewhere about the place that goes into more detail so I'll merge your post into it when i find it.

Since posts are listed in date order you'll need to read from the beginning once it's done to catch up with us :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport