Money Moral Dilemma: I bought a second-hand TV - should I use previous owner's streaming services?

MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 340 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 29 March 2023 at 9:08AM in TV MoneySaving
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I recently bought a second-hand smart TV from a charity shop. When I got it home and connected it to the internet, I found I am able to access the previous owner's film and TV streaming services, including those that are paid for. I don't have the budget to subscribe to these myself, and I work nights, so provided I only use them a little bit during the day when the previous owner's unlikely to want to, would it be wrong to do so?

[MSE note: It's usually against the T&Cs, but we'll leave you to decide on the morals of this.]

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Morally since you know someone else is paying for it then It's morally wrong.
    Now if you didn't know they were using someone else's account you could say Oh I thought they were part of the TV's apps fair enough, but of course you admit that you know that they belong to someone else so ..... wrong, IMHO of course.
    However why is this in techie stuff?
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Yes, I'd use them.....If the previous owner notices they will probably change the password. If the previous owner is deceased, the membership will end eventually.
    As long as you don't make any in app purchases of paid for content it won't cost the previous owner anything.
    It does serve as a lesson though, always reset your TV's before passing them on..... ;)

Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Live life on the wildside and ride the crime wave of illicitly watching services you haven't paid for. 
  • If it"s a service that is paid for (which you know), and you are not paying..you know its wrong. You are not the account holder, so in theory - you're fraudulently using someone else's account. 
  • Ed264
    Ed264 Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If you get caught, you could be accused of obtaining services by deception. Keep yourself safe - don't do it.
  • Obviously it's wrong. Same as if you used anything else that belonged to someone, without their knowledge or permission. It wasn't a bundle deal when you bought the telly - it was presumably an honest mistake and they shouldn't be made to suffer for it.
  • Shebear
    Shebear Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yes, wrong.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills