IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Grace period - landowner won’t give me information.

Please help - I am a resident with private parking areas controlled by UKPC.

I have ONE parking permit and two cars - my husband is a shift worker we used to share the parking permit and when one was home - park up outside home or garage,  and pop 4 way flashers on and grab the pass from the house. This doesn’t take long, approx 3-5 minutes.

We have done this for 10 years however on 11 occasions there was a spate of us being ticketed. Which I ignored.
Several times I arrived back to the PCN being written, I challenged the warden several times, and he didn't care. I told him where I was and showed him my permit it made no difference to him, he was often rude. 

Often resulting in arguments, I ignored the tickets. I complained to the management company (landowners) and after a long period of time they let me purchase another permit. 
I have now received Letters of claims so I followed the thread and quoted debt advice, giving me 30 days. 

We have a different management company who looks after all the houses and parking. We were told by letter that we would be given a renewed pass yearly, this never happened.
I have asked the management company to provide me with what the agreed grace period as surely they must allow for permit collection, they are refusing to tell me and ignoring my letters.

None of the photos show any evidence that they have allowed grace period, there is a picture of the windscreen, a picture of signage and a picture of the rear of the car - all are snapped one after another within 1 minute.
My argument was and still is the grace period. 

I am lost on how to go forward now and worried about court - I have almost 2k charges accordingly to DCB letters of claim which I don’t have! I feel lost - please help 

Comments

• B789
    B789 Posts: 3,441
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 22 March 2023 at 4:00PM
    What does your lease/tenancy agreement mention about parking? Equally important what doesn't it say.

There's a good probability that if your lease doesn't mention a "permit being required" to park in your own space, then the PPC cannot just override your lease and impose that requirement.

As a matter of interest, is UKPC being represented by DCB Legal?

You will need to read, re-read and read again the Newbies/FAQ thread near the top of this forum to learn about the process and what needs to be done when, especially if you have now received an LoC.

If it is the scam couple of companies I have mentioned above, you can see the expected outcome if you follow the advice you will receive here and study the Newbies thread by reading this thread:

DCB LEGAL RECORD OF PRIVATE PARKING COURT CLAIM DISCONTINUATIONS

There are plenty of UKPC/DCB Legal threads about ticketing residential parking if you search for it on here.

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,167
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 22 March 2023 at 4:04PM
    This will be easy and it's nothing to worry about.

Let DCBLegal file more than one claim.  Best if they do file mire than one as they are then easier to pick off and kill.

DO NOT HANG ABOUT once the first claim arrives.

Read the NEWBIES thread second post in readiness (we mean now...this week) and go bookmark the latest thread by @Johny86 so you know what your first defence will look like.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • ISTIAWAN
    ISTIAWAN Posts: 46
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you so much, I appreciate the reply.

I rent my house and my contract says nothing - I will read the small print though.

A letter from the management company says we will be receiving yearly passes and they must be displayed.

I never received one yearly - only one with the letter originally.
    That Mangement company has now be taken over - I approached the new one and said this was unfair and I would like to see the terms of grace period, they haven’t sent one.
    The MD said he will look over my case and I never heard a thing more, I have sent 8 emails now asking him to respond. He hasn’t. 

• ISTIAWAN
    Forumite
    Sorry forgot to say that yes it is DCB LEGAL on behalf of UKPC 
  • ISTIAWAN
    Forumite
    The management company have finally replied after I mentioned I would be seeking advice from my local MP and said the following:

UKPC state that all of these charges are at escalated stages, some of these being very old and are now at a legal stage. 

They had a warden grace period of 5 minutes with Crabtree Properties, and they explain that this has been adhered to, and so they believe the charges have been correctly issued. 

For all these charges, the driver had the ability to appeal, go via POPLA, or contact prior to the charges reaching these stages. They have explained that unfortunately, none of this happened. 

At the very best now, they have informed me that they are likely only able to offer a settlement for these charges, but due to the stages now we cannot get these cancelled, and I have no further authority to pressure the situation further. 

• ISTIAWAN
    Forumite
    I fail to see how they gave me 5 minutes grace, there is no evidence that suggests this.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,167
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 22 March 2023 at 6:38PM
    ISTIAWAN said:
    I fail to see how they gave me 5 minutes grace, there is no evidence that suggests this.

Yep, we know they won't have evidenced that, which will be part of your paragraph 3 when you get each court claim and take half an hour or so out of your day (it is that easy) to simply adapt the defence by Johny86, whose Posting Profile (and thus his discussions) I have already linked you to.

Very easy to kill off DCBLegal claims.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback