Options

Comments

• MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 March 2023 at 7:52PM
    Options
    Thank you Drawingaline and HSL2 xx

I’ve just had to turn the heating on for half an hour as I’m absolutely freezing despite having two jumpers on. My hands are ice cold and I can’t seem to warm up. Meanwhile, DS is in shorts and a t-shirt under a fleecy blanket.

I’ve had a birthday this weekend which I’ve tried to forget, but was very kindly gifted some money and vouchers. I’ve sent the money straight to the EF so it now stands at £3306.44, with £35 sent to the mortgage. 
    I was also given so much chocolate which was very kind of everyone but I’ve already blown the diet by eating way too much of it so send the bulk of it to OH’s house for him. I need to get back on track tomorrow. 
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
  • MeandO
    Options
    £10 arrived from last week’s Vinted sale so I’ve transferred it to the EF. 
    I logged on to my tax credits account today and it’s gone from them saying I owe them £1500 to them paying me around £75 a month from now on. I just don’t know how it works. As I didn’t receive any payments from them between the qualifying dates in jan/feb (because they told me they’d overpaid then changed their minds) I think I may miss out on the cost of living payments which will be disappointing as it would really help with everything going up in price so much. 
    I’m still waiting on news of my Mum’s condition tonight. She made it through surgery which I’m so thankful for but she is at risk of serious complications for the next 6 weeks at least. A day at a time is the way forward at the moment. 
  • Four_Seasons
    Options
    Thinking of you lovely, sending lots of love and hugs x
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Happy belated birthday. Glad to read that your mum has come through the surgery. Thinking of you all…
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,645 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Glad your mums surgery is over and hope her recovery goes ok. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thinking of you and sending healing thoughts to you and yours.  XXX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • MeandO
    edited 28 March 2023 at 9:42AM
    Options
    Thank you Four_Seasons, HSL2, enthusiasticsaver and Chrystal xx
    By the end of yesterday I felt emotionally drained and was hoping for a good night's sleep, but that didn't materialise unfortunately so I'm feeling shattered this morning. 

The weather was beautiful here yesterday which did help a little. I sat in a sunny spot and read for a little while before picking DS up, warming myself up as I felt so cold despite the warm weather. I gave the grass it's first cut of the year too after tea so the garden is looking much better now. I would like to develop a few more planting areas this year and make a few changes in the garden. It was lovely to be able to walk round outside, feel the sun and make plans for new projects. It's a shame the weather hasn't lasted as it's wet and miserable out today.
    I received two free trees from the Woodland Trust yesterday after applying earlier in the year. I was sent a Hazel tree and a Silver Birch so I'm looking forward to getting those planted this weekend. I need to think about where to put them - the garden is large enough and in desperate need of some taller structure as it's effectively a new garden as of last year, but there is no obvious spaces for the trees at the moment. I need to do a bit of research on the best places to site them and buy some compost this week.
    I have some Easter decorations that I bought a few years ago when DS was smaller. I wasn't going to bother getting them out this year but I might just do that today to make things feel a little brighter. DS won't be with me for the Easter Sunday and he's really not bothered about Easter other than a couple of weeks of school, but I love Spring and a little bit of cheer won't go amiss at the moment.

£13.25 hit my bank account from a sale of an item so I've rounded it up to £15 and sent it to the mortgage. The mortgage is now at £72,435 with OP's for 2023 at £909.45 so far.
  • MeandO
    edited 29 March 2023 at 9:34AM
    Options
    The tax credit payment reached the account this morning so I've split it between the mortgage and the savings. I've also combined 2 pots in my signature as these are both technically an emergency fund but I just need to keep them physically separate to keep one of the savings accounts open.
    EF now: £3557.85, Mortgage now: £72,400. I will do my best to get the mortgage into the £71,000's before next pay day which means finding around £100 extra.
  • MeandO
    edited 30 March 2023 at 1:04PM
    Options
    A few more pennies have been shuffled to the EF via Save the Change and £10 sent to a collection for families who have been affected by a horrible incident locally. 

Yesterday I used a £20 voucher I'd kindly been given for my birthday and put it towards something I'd intended to buy anyway (and was also on sale) so I'm pleased to have ££'s off it. 

DS also had a friend round yesterday so spent a few £'s on a couple of pizzas from Asda and some treats for them. I also picked up some YS smoked salmon trimmings, smoked cod and prawns which I've frozen. 

I'm just waiting on the mouse man to turn up now to see if we're now mouse free or whether the bait has attracted all the neighbourhood mice in for a feast. I still can't figure out where they've got in which is the worrying part.

SW tonight, so I'm hoping I've lost a few lbs rather than just £'s...
  • bizzie
    bizzie Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

hello

just delurking to post a snippet from the CoL 2023 guidance factsheet found on gov.uk in case you weren't aware of its existence

hopefully this will apply in your situation

Tax credits

You are eligible for the first Cost of Living Payment of £301 if you received a payment of tax credits for any day in the period 26 January 2023 to 25 February 2023, or you are later found to have been entitled to a payment for this period.

hope SW went well

Groceries: Personal Spend: 0 NST NSD Goals for 2024:Self: Health: Wealth :
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport