We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

ISA transfer from Virgin Money to Barclays declined (cannot locate account) - how to proceed?

Options

Comments

• 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 24 February 2023 at 1:28AM
    Options
    Ulrich said:
    35har1old said:
    The new provider is at fault due to them not quoting the correct code on the transfer request to Virgin
    All providers have excess to a list detailing what code to use when requesting a transfer. Virgin have several codes i know from personal experience because  i have transferred from Virgin to a new provider and this problem occurred it took from 17-11-22 to 16-01-23 to complete some of the time was due to postal strikes. I only found out after making a complaint to Virgin that if they receive a request with incorrect code the response is account not found and they do not keep a record of the request being made. I was given the correct code by Virgin and passed it on to the new provider and transfer then completed
    I'm confused. I provided a sort code starting with 82 and an account number when requested a transfer.
    Don't remember if I had to choose the existing provider's name.
    Barclays received the response from Clydesdale Bank and it's in line what @fabsaver referred to.
    So why do Clydesdale Bank replied they can't locate it?
     The problem is down to Barclays not applying the right code to the request. This code is not a sort code but is from a list that all banks have to consult before making the transfer request if they do not make the correct choice the transfer fails.The list is for bank use only.   ISA that you are transferring is named as a Virgin ISA

• Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 February 2023 at 8:49PM
    Options
    35har1old said:
    Ulrich said:
    35har1old said:
    The new provider is at fault due to them not quoting the correct code on the transfer request to Virgin
    All providers have excess to a list detailing what code to use when requesting a transfer. Virgin have several codes i know from personal experience because  i have transferred from Virgin to a new provider and this problem occurred it took from 17-11-22 to 16-01-23 to complete some of the time was due to postal strikes. I only found out after making a complaint to Virgin that if they receive a request with incorrect code the response is account not found and they do not keep a record of the request being made. I was given the correct code by Virgin and passed it on to the new provider and transfer then completed
    I'm confused. I provided a sort code starting with 82 and an account number when requested a transfer.
    Barclays received the response from Clydesdale Bank and it's in line what @fabsaver referred to.
    When you applied you likely would   not have a choice of Clydesdale or Yorkshire as these are under the Virgin header. The problem is down to Barclays not applying the right code to the request. This code is not a sort code but is from a list that all banks have to consult before making the transfer request if they do not make the correct choice the transfer fails.The list is for bank use only.   ISA that you are transferring is named as a Virgin ISA

Details of the correct procedures to use are on the Virgin website. 

Copied below

We’d be sorry to see you go but if you want to transfer your ISA to another provider, they’ll ask you to complete an ISA Transfer Authority Form. They’ll then contact us to arrange the transfer.

Please refer to the sort codes below before selecting your existing provider on the Authority Form.

For Sort codes starting with 05 please choose Yorkshire Bank.

For Sort codes starting with 82 please choose Clydesdale Bank.

Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 February 2023 at 9:06PM
    Options
    Ulrich said:
    masonic said:
    Ulrich said:
    masonic said:
    Ulrich said:

so basically when I contacted VM, they did not mention me that I need to tell my new ISA provider that my Cash ISA is with Clydesdale Bank, not Virgin Money?
    That is correct, VM is not an authorised cash ISA manager, and it is best to use the actual entity managing the ISA. They really ought to make this far clearer.
    In this case Barclays should not have Virgin Media as an option on their transfer request form as well, should they?
    Can definitely agree they shouldn't have had Virgin Media as an option, but Virgin Money should be there as they are an authorised S&S ISA manager and they probably include managers of all types of ISA in their list.
    Well, I tend to expand VM as Virgin Media, my bad.
    However, looking at this page, I can see no Virgin Money (and Virgin Money Unit Trust Managers Limited is not the same).
    On top of that, I selected that I'm requesting transfer of a cash ISA so they should only give me authorised cash ISA managers, right?
    I don't think they'd give the full legal name of each company, so Virgin Money could plausibly refer to the UTM company. Do you get a different list of ISA managers to choose from when you select S&S vs cash? In the past providers I have transferred to had just one list.
    Either way, I'm not inclined to apportion any significant blame to Barclays for the state of the Virgin Money hydra. VM should have internal systems in place to redirect things to the correct place if sent to any of the premises under their umbrella.
  • masonic
    edited 23 February 2023 at 8:57PM
    Options
    35har1old said:
    Ulrich said:
    35har1old said:
    When you applied you likely would   not have a choice of Clydesdale or Yorkshire as these are under the Virgin header. The problem is down to Barclays not applying the right code to the request. This code is not a sort code but is from a list that all banks have to consult before making the transfer request if they do not make the correct choice the transfer fails.The list is for bank use only.   ISA that you are transferring is named as a Virgin ISA
    As addressed above by Frogletina, I don't think this is correct, even if it is what you were told. It is a Virgin-specific issue and the code being referred to is the sort code of the account. Other providers do not require transfer forms to be sent to a different location depending on the sort code of the account, nor do they require a particular mystery code to be added to the transfer form.
  • 35har1old
    edited 23 February 2023 at 9:46PM
    Options
    masonic said:
    35har1old said:
    Ulrich said:
    35har1old said:
    As addressed above by Frogletina, I don't think this is correct, even if it is what you were told. It is a Virgin-specific issue and the code being referred to is the sort code of the account. Other providers do not require transfer forms to be sent to a different location depending on the sort code of the account, nor do they require a particular mystery code to be added to the transfer form.
    It's not a mystery code its a list that all bank use I have personal experience of this once I pushed to get the right code from Virgin i passed this to the new provider the transfer completed shortly there after
     For example do you no the merchant codes that Visa use.
  • masonic
    edited 23 February 2023 at 10:58PM
    Options
    35har1old said:
    masonic said:
    35har1old said:
    Ulrich said:
    35har1old said:
    It's not a mystery code its a list that all bank use I have personal experience of this once I pushed to get the right code from Virgin i passed this to the new provider the transfer completed shortly there after
    I'm sorry, but you've been spun a yarn. HMRC has detailed information about transfers and what information needs to be provided here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transfer-an-isa-if-youre-an-isa-manager
    I'm confident that you'll find zero mention of a special code without which a transfer cannot be executed. The model cash ISA transfer form can also be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/693198/Appendices.pdf
    That form includes all of the required information to enact a transfer. Most provider forms ask for additional information, which is optional. No form I've ever seen asks for a code that is not the sort code of the ISA account (most transfer forms do include sort code and account number). What are needed are the correct details of the ISA manager that currently holds the ISA in question.
    Either this is something Virgin has invented, or it is completely spurious. I suppose the other alternative is that this 'code' is just the entry number or Service User Number in the database of ISA managers, and the code in question refers to either Yorkshire BS, or Clydesdale Bank. In that case Barclays would still need to be told by the customer which of the two possible options they should use, and it would be far easier just to tell them it's YBS or Clydesdale.
    That said, it is possible to transfer an ISA from a provider completely unknown to the new provider. I have had to do this on a couple of occasions by providing full contact details (these were very new providers of Innovative Finance ISAs).
  • 35har1old
    edited 23 February 2023 at 10:57PM
    Options
    masonic said:
    35har1old said:
    masonic said:
    35har1old said:
    Ulrich said:
    35har1old said:
    I'm sorry, but you've been spun a yarn. HMRC has detailed information about transfers and what information needs to be provided here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transfer-an-isa-if-youre-an-isa-manager
    I'm confident that you'll find zero mention of a special code without which a transfer cannot be executed. The model cash ISA transfer form can also be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/693198/Appendices.pdf
    That form includes all of the required information to enact a transfer. Most provider forms ask for additional information, which is optional. No form I've ever seen asks for a code that is not the sort code of the ISA account (most transfer forms do include sort code and account number).
    Either this is something Virgin has invented, or it is completely spurious. I suppose the other alternative is that this 'code' is just the entry number or Service User Number in the database of ISA managers, and the code in question refers to either Yorkshire BS, or Clydesdale Bank. In that case Barclays would still need to be told by the customer which of the two possible options they should use, and it would be far easier just to tell them it's YBS or Clydesdale.
    That said, it is possible to transfer an ISA from a provider completely unknown to the new provider. I have had to do this on a couple of occasions by providing full contact details (these were very new providers of Innovative Finance ISAs).
    New provider agreed that there is a list of codes and once ir was applied the transfer completed        
  • masonic
    edited 23 February 2023 at 11:14PM
    Options
    35har1old said:
    masonic said:
    35har1old said:
    masonic said:
    35har1old said:
    Ulrich said:
    35har1old said:
    That form includes all of the required information to enact a transfer. Most provider forms ask for additional information, which is optional. No form I've ever seen asks for a code that is not the sort code of the ISA account (most transfer forms do include sort code and account number).
    New provider agreed that there is a list of codes and once ir was applied the transfer completed        
    Then that would suggest the code was an entry number or SUN in the database of ISA managers and told them whether it was YBS or Clydesdale they needed to communicate with. Most other people would find it a lot easier to name the correct provider on the transfer form using the sort code of their account, as advised in the help page quoted above. Once again, there is no actual need for any code to be provided if the correct ISA manager is specified on the form. This is all confusion of VM's making, and Barclays couldn't be expected to play guessing games about the actual ISA manager they needed to contact. It certainly wasn't your fault you were unaware of VM's advice not to choose themselves as the ISA manager.
  • 35har1old
    Options
    fabsaver said:
    Many people have posted here about similar issues trying to do ISA transfers from Virgin Money. 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6411387/no-account-found-isa-transfer-issue/p1
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6413395/issue-transfering-isa-from-virgin-money-to-barclays/p1

Do you realise that Virgin Money has a 1 Year Fixed Cash ISA paying 4.25%, higher than the Barclays one?
    https://uk.virginmoney.com/savings/products/1_year_fixed_rate_cash_isa_exclusive_issue_4/
    If you decide to move to that one instead be warned it is unlikely to go smoothly, this is Virgin Money after all! Those affected reported that the internal transfer completed within a few days, despite the error message stating it had failed.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6419407/virgin-1-year-4-25-transfer-glitch/p1

If you want to proceed with the Barclays account the following page may help
    https://uk.virginmoney.com/savings/learn/isas/transfer-your-isa/flexi-cash-isa/#how-can-i-transfer-my-flexi-cash-isa-to-another-provider

We’d be sorry to see you go but if you want to transfer your ISA to another provider, they’ll ask you to complete an ISA Transfer Authority Form. They’ll then contact us to arrange the transfer.

Please refer to the sort codes below before selecting your existing provider on the Authority Form.

For Sort codes starting with 05 please choose Yorkshire Bank.

For Sort codes starting with 82 please choose Clydesdale Bank.

What about sort code 08-60-64
    Details for sort code 086064
    BankVirgin Money (28 Clydesdale Bank)
     Newcastle address
    Details for sort code 821966
    BankVirgin Money (09 Clydesdale Bank)   
    Glasgow address
    Details for sort code 050005
    BankVirgin Money (31 Clydesdale Bank)
     Same Glasgow address   05 sort code does not apply to the account being transferred
  • 35har1old
    Options
    Ulrich said:
    35har1old said:
    It does once you start typing and you get to Vir it brings up VIRGIN PLC its does the same with any other bank that you would be entering in to the box

if you enter your sort code into a sort code checker It comes up Virgin Money  (09 Clydesdale Bank)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure