Best price for heating oil?

Options

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looking on boilerjuice, it's interesting to note the average price is now 70ppl and the minimum still 47ppl.
    I expected a bit of a spike, but crikey not this much.

My tank level showing pipe and the button are completely frozen, so I have no idea how much I have left. But hopefully I will have enough to get through this expensive time. I feel for those of you that absolutely need some.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think only the biggest idiot will not admit to peak oil happening sometime in the future (although there are a few of those around) but no one who writes any reports has any idea when that will be.

I am planning ahead for getting out of oil heating, but like you, the alternatives atm aren't what I'd like.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • home-heating-oil
    Options
    The range, varies by analyst but all agree before 2020. It is important to remember that the oil companies will take their profit way before they are at risk of, eventually, running out so they are most likely to bring the problem forward as much as possible. OPEC is not a democracy! But what is clear is that the price will see $100 per barrel next year and will climb each year (if not monthly).

The biggest problem will be inflation acting as a long term 10-15 year cancer on the world's economy. I guess part of the real answer comes from us changing behaviour i.e. working from home via the internet where possible, buying locally produced goods from local shops and creating community based energy projects whether that is generating electricity or creating copse for wood etc etc who knows. Waiting for politicians is not really an option. I will create a new topic called "peak oil" if anyone is interested in adding to the subject.
  • missmilly
    Options
    I have just ordered 900 litres @ 64.35 per litre, with delivery quoted as 'up to 20 days' in South Lincolnshire. BJ is quoting 73.78 per litre for delivery up to 10 days!!!

Obviously this is more than I would have hoped to pay, but needs must, and I just hope it comes sooner rather than later.
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Miss Milly - I think they're giving these "distant" delivery days so we panic and buy! I was quoted a price last Friday and they said "delivery within 8 days and I got it first thing Monday morning, which is actually a bit quicker than we normally get it."
  • bobmedley
    bobmedley Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    "Boilerjuice are quoting me 80p a litre!!!! Nearly fell of my chair when I found out that heatingoil.co.uk are quoting even more at 81p!!!"

It's a sobering thought, but at 80p per litre the kw cost for me is exactly the same as normal rate electricity.:eek:
  • saving-mad
    Options
    i had to order on monday used a local supplier at 62ppl for 500litres, boiler juice was quoting 80ppl
    we had about 2 weeks supply left but they cant deliver until 21st so had to order, its just bad luck on our part, i usually fill up twice a year 1000 litres it just happened that we are due.

been back to boiler juice today and they are quoting 88ppl:eek::eek:

hopefully our 500 litres will last until it comes down a bit
    Owner of a cute cottage in the North York Moors :j
  • home-heating-oil
    home-heating-oil Posts: 70 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2010 at 10:50PM
    Options
    Total Butler are the cheapest around right now 61ppl earlier today.. If you look at my daily heating oil price chart they have been the "lowest" for the last week to 10 days, although I cannot name names on the site for legal reasons... I know they only cover England so not for everyone but I collect pricing daily to produce the pricing chart to give an idea of the "target price". I did not believe the BJ chart as they seem to only quote within the 40 or so sister companies of GB Oil. It would be useful if you could add to the data by adding a comment, for what you have been quoted, to the daily heating oil price post. That way it gives a larger sample of data to work with.
  • smallblueplanet
    Options
    Total Butler are the cheapest around right now...

That's a sweeping statement with so many suppliers in the country and so many areas. I bought a while ago and TB weren't the cheapest then, but still there is always the opportunity to go back with a price quote and ask another supplier to beat or match it.

Who are you affiliated with by the way?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport