Best price for heating oil?

Options

Comments

• home-heating-oil
    Options
    If you can wait a few days before you order it is probably going to be worth it. The forecast is indicating warmer weather, well comparatively, meaning that the supply chain will have a chance to recover. Once that happens the reserved product for top up customers will be released, open the sales books again, and prices should drop a bit probably mid 50's.
  • home-heating-oil
    Options
    Re BJ quoting from group companies.. I guess with circa 40 sister companies "competing" within the same group I really could not say.
  • shuze
    shuze Posts: 749 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone used the Heating Oil club?
  • ossian
    ossian Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you can wait a few days before you order it is probably going to be worth it. The forecast is indicating warmer weather, well comparatively, meaning that the supply chain will have a chance to recover. Once that happens the reserved product for top up customers will be released, open the sales books again, and prices should drop a bit probably mid 50's.

You may be right. However it could keep going up, one analyst is predicting oil hitting $1.20 a barrel. OPEC may increase production, but I suspect they will do so in a way that keeps prices high. There remains more oil demand than supply globally. Unreasonably cold weather in Europe combined with Chinesee factories using diesel generators.

I had three weeks oil left so had to order at this years peak so far. With a child on the way I can't gamble.
  • home-heating-oil
    home-heating-oil Posts: 70 Forumite
    edited 6 December 2010 at 9:45AM
    Options
    Yes you could be right

http://www.liveoilprices.co.uk/oil/oil_prices/12/2010/the-age-of-cheap-oil-prices-is-over-comments-iea-chief.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LiveOilPrices+%28Live+Oil+Prices%29

Interesting reading.. Just pushes the argument for cheaper electricity, nucelear, and to say good bye to fossil fuel.. I particularly like the OPEC comment "oil price over $100 is unadamaging"..

The same website, I won't add another link, but Google search "peak oil price 2013" indicates that demand will outstrip production / resource and the oil price will be in the region of $200 a barrel according to Lloyds. Others estimate $200-$250. In reality once the world hits "peak" producers can charge pretty much what they want
  • home-heating-oil
    Options
    Shuze..

No I have not used them just did a quote and got 63.34 for 500, cheaper than BJ at 63.95 best price was Total Butler at 60.54..
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    Options
    Boilerjuice are quoting me 80p a litre!!!! Nearly fell of my chair when I found out that heatingoil.co.uk are quoting even more at 81p!!!

We have had oil central heating for 9 years and just buy oil as we need it at 500 litres a time. This has always worked well before. We used to have a payment plan with Total Butler until one winter we needed oil and they gave us a 2 week delivery date and then didnt deliver on time. We now find it cheaper to shop about and put the DD amount in a savings account instead. Our local supplier is estimating 55p a litre but he says they are having to review prices daily. He also said they could reduce the price if we ordered more but we are going to have to pay £385 as it is.

So whats the alternative? We have an open fire and a multi fuel stove but they arent enough on their own in this weather. If we keep them both running all the time you go through a lot of logs and coal and this isnt a cheap option either. I am at home all the time and try to wear lots of layers but its been down to -19 here.
  • dougk_2
    dougk_2 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    Boilerjuice are quoting me 80p a litre!!!! Nearly fell of my chair when I found out that heatingoil.co.uk are quoting even more at 81p!!!

I checked yesterday and got the same as you.

80ppl is just excessive pricing as the actual cost of oil has only rise 10% in the last two months, yet heating oil price has increase 90%.

Local suppliers near to me have been quoting similar high 70s. In reality the cost should be no greater than 50 to 55ppl even with recent oil price increases
    I have contacted my MP and I suggest othe MSE's do the same as the price increase has no justification and should be referered to the OFT.

It will soon be cheaper to power the heating from petrol that is heavily taxed!

Yes the weather in some areas may make things difficult, but in others there are no problems whatsoever.
  • home-heating-oil
    Options
    Hello.. Just checked Total Butler on-line system and got a quote of 61ppl for delivery in Hatherop, Glos.

The inflated prices are associated to the oil price, soon to be $100 barrel, but has a lot more to do with supply. The weather has disrupted supply lines both road and rail so a lot of suppliers have little or no heating oil left. When this happens, rather than admit the fact, they price themselves out of the market and make great margins for anyone who actually pays the price.

But actually you are lucky to still be able to get a quote. Most suppliers have closed their books for December and are already half way through January.

The cold weather is forecast to be around until mid Jan so we will not see any major improvements in the market which is now down to a sellers market.

I have a top up service from Total Butler, using signalman (I think it is a trial) which automatically monitors my tank, and glad of it. As it is contracted they have to reserve stock for me and others like me who use this service. As for competitive pricing I average out the year and break even.

But bear in mind that the crude oil price is going to reach peak in 2013 at which point the price per barrel will be in the region of $200 - $250 depending on the forecaster! So heating oil will at least double in price!!!

Alternatives? multifuel rayburn? Burns wood but need to bear in mind that it can only heat 7-8 radiators as wood does not burn as hot as gas, oil or coal. Longer term I cannot see any alternative than cheap electricity provided by nuclear power stations. :-(
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    But bear in mind that the crude oil price is going to reach peak in 2013 at which point the price per barrel will be in the region of $200 - $250 depending on the forecaster! So heating oil will at least double in price!!!
    That's speculation, not fact.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure