Alternative Fuel Payment

Options
Hello 
I just wanted to see what I could do about the alternative fuel payment of £200 as my heating is done through oil. I am with EDF for electricity and I have contacted them on chat last week and they said they weren't part of the scheme yet? Which I don't think is right? I rung them today and the advisor I spoke to said he didn't know anything of it? Has anyone else received it through EDF yet? Is it just a case of waiting to apply for it on the gov website when it's up? 
Thanks 🙂

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    From the MSE thread on Twitter it seems only Eon customers have had the £200 yet.

The government has given suppliers a list of who qualifies automatically.  If you don't get it by the end of the month (and you're not an exceptional case, like having switched after the 1st Feb) then yes applying online is the way to go.
  • rodmaker
    rodmaker Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 February 2023 at 5:28PM
    Options
    niki88 said:
    Hello 
    I just wanted to see what I could do about the alternative fuel payment of £200 as my heating is done through oil. I am with EDF for electricity and I have contacted them on chat last week and they said they weren't part of the scheme yet? Which I don't think is right? I rung them today and the advisor I spoke to said he didn't know anything of it? Has anyone else received it through EDF yet? Is it just a case of waiting to apply for it on the gov website when it's up? 
    Thanks 🙂
    It is showing in my OVO account as a credit today. OVO have stated in an email that it will subsequently be paid into my bank account.
  • Suzymmm
    Options
    I’m with EDF & have no gas supply so use oil to heat the house . Nothing on EDF page about the payment , I haven’t been able to get through on the phone due to work commitments . I’ve tried on the chat bot but it just keeps saying it doesn’t understand my question .
  • dealyboy
    dealyboy Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Suzy ...
    Suzymmm said:
    I’m with EDF & have no gas supply so use oil to heat the house . Nothing on EDF page about the payment , I haven’t been able to get through on the phone due to work commitments . I’ve tried on the chat bot but it just keeps saying it doesn’t understand my question .
    It's a slightly complicated eligibility check for automatic payments from your electricity supplier.

Automatic: The postcode must be off the gas grid and the majority of the addresses in your postcode must not be using mains electricity for their central heating.
    Manual: In other cases there will be an application process via an online portal to be made available at the end of the month.

So you clearly qualify, check with your neighbours to find out if any have received an automatic payment/credit, if so suppliers have until the end of the month to meet their requirements as directed by the Dept of Energy, and are likely very busy at this moment.

... Welcome to the forum.

• pmets
    pmets Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is the reply I got from EDF a few days ago, on live chat

Hello, From 10th February households across Great Britain who don’t use mains gas for heating will start receiving £200 towards their energy bills as the Alternative Fuel Payment (AFP) scheme launches. Payments expected to be delivered by 10 March. 

To check more details you can visit this link : Households, businesses and organisations off the gas grid to receive energy bill support over the coming weeks - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

If you are eligible then you will receive the £200 in your EDF account between 20th-28th February. Once it was credited in your EDF account, you will receive an automatic refund in your bank account.
  • niki88 said:
    Hello 
    Thanks 🙂
    Just today 2- Feb had an e-mail from them saying I am entitled to £200 to be paid to EDF account by 28 Feb - I am in a (OX11) postcode which is in the spreadsheet listing qualifying postcodes

• hazeofvenuss
    Options

pmets said:

Hello, From 10th February households across Great Britain who don’t use mains gas for heating will start receiving £200 towards their energy bills as the Alternative Fuel Payment (AFP) scheme launches. Payments expected to be delivered by 10 March. 

To check more details you can visit this link : Households, businesses and organisations off the gas grid to receive energy bill support over the coming weeks - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

If you are eligible then you will receive the £200 in your EDF account between 20th-28th February. Once it was credited in your EDF account, you will receive an automatic refund in your bank account.

@pmets

Please see below...as this is relevant to your post:

EDF have refused to refund my AFP, despite my account being £383.17 in credit. Despite having promised to do it when it arrived, they are insisting on another meter reading before releasing it. I gave them a reading on 4th Jan & I'm not due another bill until April. 

Having read the Government guidelines to suppliers on the AFP, the Government are allowing energy suppliers to use the AFP to offset against account arrears.

Even though this doesn't apply to me, I find it shocking that the AFP isn't actually going to be given to customers in order to pay their AF bills if they are in arrears with their electricity bills. In effect, this means that people could be without heating if they have historical debts. It really upset me today to think about it :-(
  • hazeofvenuss
    Options
    Try this link below for the full detail about it...

It does state that the payments (or credits to your electricity account) must be made in February

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1130933/domestic-alternative-fuel-payment-scheme-suppliers-guidance.pdf

• niki88
    Options

pmets said:

@pmets

Please see below...as this is relevant to your post:

EDF have refused to refund my AFP, despite my account being £383.17 in credit. Despite having promised to do it when it arrived, they are insisting on another meter reading before releasing it. I gave them a reading on 4th Jan & I'm not due another bill until April. 

Having read the Government guidelines to suppliers on the AFP, the Government are allowing energy suppliers to use the AFP to offset against account arrears.

Even though this doesn't apply to me, I find it shocking that the AFP isn't actually going to be given to customers in order to pay their AF bills if they are in arrears with their electricity bills. In effect, this means that people could be without heating if they have historical debts. It really upset me today to think about it :-(
    Hi 
    I just wanted to say that EDF was also saying this to me yesterday after i checked my account I saw that the AFP had gone in, so contacted EDF asking for it to be refunded. Who I was chatting with said they couldn't until they issued a new bill and would need a meter reading like you, so i left it at that. Anyway I have now logged in online today and it says that it has been refunded and will be in my account within 5 working days. I am also in credit and pay by monthly direct debits. So it could be the same for you 🙂
  • NeilJ66
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm with Shell Energy for my electricity and an LPG user. The £200 AFP came through to my bank account today although there is no record of it anywhere in my Shell Energy online account.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback