The Telegraph

Options

Comments

• Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Our online Telegraph subscription was due for renewal. We were quoted £329 for the year, up from £160. DH phoned to cancel. We were offered £190, he said cancel it. We were then offered £49 for the year, which he has accepted. 
    Is that just for access to the DT website, or do you get a digital copy of the daily newspaper as well ?
    I will need to try harder next year before renewal. Thank you.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • dealyboy
    dealyboy Posts: 1,764 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    ... as previously stated The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Telegraph and all supplements are available for 'free' from PressReader for Windows (other platforms are available) from about 05:00 each day via the Library* (card number required).

*Herts county library and others.

What's not to like? Online articles behind a paywall are generally repeats of those in the newspapers.
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pressreader premium is £27.49 per month. So to get it via the library for free is amazing.
    Thanks for alerting me to this.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    dealyboy said:
    ... as previously stated The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Telegraph and all supplements are available for 'free' from PressReader for Windows (other platforms are available) from about 05:00 each day via the Library* (card number required).

What's not to like? Online articles behind a paywall are generally repeats of those in the newspapers.
    It is too late for me this year. But I will explore this with the library next January. Thank you.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • dealyboy
    Options
    Hi @Sterlingtimes ...
    dealyboy said:

It is too late for me this year. But I will explore this with the library next January. Thank you.
    ... as @Arthurian says other newspapers are available. I personally get the Telegraphs and Mails and sometimes others... also worth it for the magazines depending on your interests.  :)
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    dealyboy said:
    Hi @Sterlingtimes ...
    dealyboy said:

... as @Arthurian says other newspapers are available. I personally get the Telegraphs and Mails and sometimes others... also worth it for the magazines depending on your interests.  :)
    I am very grateful. I am going to look into all of this.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    How did the subscription grow to £189 annually? It started out at nearer to £100 a couple of years ago.
    Hi, please can you quote your source for the statement - "Mainly over 60 well off white males." Where did you get that info? If you were a journalist you'd have to refer to the source.

Thank you.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 25 February 2023 at 4:57PM
    Options
    In support of journalism -

FWIW I'm not a white male over 60 - neither am I a Labour supporter and never have been or would be.

Also, the Guardian online is always asking me, a regular and faithful online reader, to sign up for a subscription. Although they do continue to allow me to read it online. Unlike other online publications.

Journalism is a dying trade (to which my daughter belongs) and any fees and payments that are charged are totally necessary so I don't think anyone can complain. Soon all news will be digitally produced - and I recently saw some of the software that's being perfected that will do away with the human touch. It is quite brilliant.

It takes time and money to produce a quality daily newspaper, please don't knock the charge and/or process. 

I don't think that £3.63 per week is bad for a daily newspaper. It's a bargain, in fact. Free papers online are great but they are killing the industry. Soon there won't be any paper news, it'll all be on the BBC or online and produced by robots. I've seen what the robots are doing, and it is scary.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    How did the subscription grow to £189 annually? It started out at nearer to £100 a couple of years ago.
    Hi, please can you quote your source for the statement - "Mainly over 60 well off white males." Where did you get that info? If you were a journalist you'd have to refer to the source.

Thank you.
    I can give you the source for the subscription numbers, but the statement in your quotes is not attributable to me.
  • dealyboy
    Options
    Hi @MalMonroe ...
    I don't think it was @Sterlingtimes who was involved in some offensive posts at least one of which appears to have been deleted ... I didn't see them and picked up the thread later.

I am simply thinking of moneysaving and I personally find The Guardian and Observer (available on PressReader) professional and interesting newspapers, I simply go for The Telegraph and Mail at weekends for the money pages and finance news.

I personally was always grateful for 'free' Guardian papers when I stayed in hotels whilst working 'up north' and it is well worth the price.

I'm sure there is a commercial relationship between PressReader and the press digital publishers just as libraries subscribe to PressReader. I am immensely grateful to the library as an OAP, for the welcome they give me, the 'warm zones' they provide for we who cannot afford the heating to be on during the day, and especially for the singalongs for young children on Thursday mornings.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback