The Telegraph

Options
Sterlingtimes
Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,403 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 10 February 2023 at 6:01PM in Over 50s MoneySaving
How did the subscription grow to £189 annually? It started out at nearer to £100 a couple of years ago.
I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".

Comments

• Baron_Dale
    Baron_Dale Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Another right wing rip-off! 😏😳
    Is that really necessary? Considering that a fair bit of the country supports the Tories, which would include many on these boards, and the OP asked a simple question, it seems a needless jibe. 
    Absolutely necessary in my opinion! Yep at the the moment about 24% of the population do. Mainly over 60 well off white males. 
    I actually think the question he asked was rhetorical. Also if he doesn't like the cost don't subscribe.
    The Guardian remains totally free too!
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Is that really necessary? Considering that a fair bit of the country supports the Tories, which would include many on these boards, and the OP asked a simple question, it seems a needless jibe. 
    Thank you. Yes, I was trying to explore why the price had risen by 89%  in two years. The other poster notes that The Guardian is free but is funded by its readers voluntarily.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • Arthurian
    Options
    I get mine free online, using a service provided by my county council's libraries service.  I read it via the Press Reader app on my phone.  Also use the same service to download ebooks, audiobooks, and magazines, all funded by council tax.  Papers include The Daily Telegraph, The Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday, Sunday Telegraph, The Observer, The Independent, and The Wall Street Journal.  The Times is not available, nor the Sun.  Not quite the same as holding a real newspaper over the breakfast table, but to save £189, worth checking your County Council's website libraries page.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Arthurian said:
    I get mine free online, using a service provided by my county council's libraries service.  
    Thank you. I will look into this.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,233 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Arthurian said:
    I get mine free online, using a service provided by my county council's libraries service.  
    Thank you. I will look into this.

My service also includes a lot of magazines, plus the likes of TV Times. If you don't mind using a screen instead of turning pages, then some good savings can be made, after all your Council Tax has paid for them anyway so may as well use it

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you. Yes, I was trying to explore why the price had risen by 89%  in two years. The other poster notes that The Guardian is free but is funded by its readers voluntarily.
    The Guardian is partly funded by the charitable trust that owns it, and has always subsidised it ( long before the Internet came along and even when it was the Manchester Guardian ). The voluntary subscriptions, membership fees etc from readers , will help of course, and it means you do not see the adverts.
  • dealyboy
    dealyboy Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi @Arthurian ...
    Arthurian said:
    I get mine free online, using a service provided by my county council's libraries service.  I read it via the Press Reader app on my phone.  Also use the same service to download ebooks, audiobooks, and magazines, all funded by council tax.  Papers include The Daily Telegraph, The Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday, Sunday Telegraph, The Observer, The Independent, and The Wall Street Journal.  The Times is not available, nor the Sun.  Not quite the same as holding a real newspaper over the breakfast table, but to save £189, worth checking your County Council's website libraries page.
    ... me too. Don't forget The Daily Star and Star on Sunday, more seriously (can I be more serious?) MoneyWeek, a weekly magazine (doh!) and 100's of titles for all sorts of interests. These can be downloaded for 'permanent' access.

Plus we get "libby" which also has a wide selection of magazines plus e-books.

I read these on my laptop.

As Arthurian says check at your local library, they are wonderful people.
  • Nelliegrace
    Options
    Our online Telegraph subscription was due for renewal. We were quoted £329 for the year, up from £160. DH phoned to cancel. We were offered £190, he said cancel it. We were then offered £49 for the year, which he has accepted. 
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Our online Telegraph subscription was due for renewal. We were quoted £329 for the year, up from £160. DH phoned to cancel. We were offered £190, he said cancel it. We were then offered £49 for the year, which he has accepted. 
    Is that just for access to the DT website, or do you get a digital copy of the daily newspaper as well ?
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Is that just for access to the DT website, or do you get a digital copy of the daily newspaper as well ?
    Thank you. One of the Telegraph's tricks was to stop providing the PC-only edition and insist that everyone pays for the digital copy whether they wanted it or not.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback