List of banks with hard vs soft searches for current accounts

Options

Comments

• adamp87
    adamp87 Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Might wanna add First Direct in the main post swear it was there before for a hard search
  • ForumUser7
    ForumUser7 Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    WillPS said:
    Zanderman said:
    Managed to earn myself an unnecessary hard search by doing an exploratory current account application with Ulster Bank.

Was curious to know if I could open an account while in GB (rather than NI). Not able to proceed while physically located in GB but got as far as Id checks if VPNing from Paris. Didn't proceed with application. 
    I opened an account with Ulster in November last year and I'm in GB not NI.  From memory many others have done so too.

Same. When I got the 'introductory' call from the nice lady in Belfast she was trying to set up an appointment for me at Natwest in Nottingham, so clearly a process their scripts accommodate.

Might be worth ringing to see if the application can still be completed so you at least get an account out of it.
    What's the purpose of opening an ulster bank account for now? Is it incase they add a digital regular saver at a later stage?
    If you want me to definitely see your reply, please tag me @forumuser7 Thank you.

N.B. (Amended from Forum Rules): You must investigate, and check several times, before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my content, as nothing I post is advice, rather it is personal opinion and is solely for discussion purposes. I research before my posts, and I never intend to share anything that is misleading, misinforming, or out of date, but don't rely on everything you read. Some of the information changes quickly, is my own opinion or may be incorrect. Verify anything you read before acting on it to protect yourself because you are responsible for any action you consequently make... DYOR, YMMV etc.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    WillPS said:
    Zanderman said:
    Managed to earn myself an unnecessary hard search by doing an exploratory current account application with Ulster Bank.

Was curious to know if I could open an account while in GB (rather than NI). Not able to proceed while physically located in GB but got as far as Id checks if VPNing from Paris. Didn't proceed with application. 
    I opened an account with Ulster in November last year and I'm in GB not NI.  From memory many others have done so too.

Same. When I got the 'introductory' call from the nice lady in Belfast she was trying to set up an appointment for me at Natwest in Nottingham, so clearly a process their scripts accommodate.

Might be worth ringing to see if the application can still be completed so you at least get an account out of it.
    What's the purpose of opening an ulster bank account for now? Is it incase they add a digital regular saver at a later stage?
    Whim. Curiosity. Future burner. 

I'm not going to continue with a bank account that needs me to VPN in from another country to access it. 
  • trient
    trient Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It has a nice card. And every now and then (less often than the rest of NWG) they do have switching incentives, and you'd be able to skip the initial account opening stage.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    WillPS said:
    Zanderman said:

Whim. Curiosity. Future burner. 

I'm not going to continue with a bank account that needs me to VPN in from another country to access it. 
    I've zero interest in Ulster Bank personally but VPN is unlikely as it's simply a trading name for NatWest Bank now.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,598 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    WillPS said:
    Zanderman said:

Future switching bonus (either from Ulster Bank themselves or using them as a donor).
  • ForumUser7
    ForumUser7 Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 12 February 2023 at 3:35PM
    Options
    How long does it usually take for a hard search to appear on the credit record please?
    If you want me to definitely see your reply, please tag me @forumuser7 Thank you.

N.B. (Amended from Forum Rules): You must investigate, and check several times, before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my content, as nothing I post is advice, rather it is personal opinion and is solely for discussion purposes. I research before my posts, and I never intend to share anything that is misleading, misinforming, or out of date, but don't rely on everything you read. Some of the information changes quickly, is my own opinion or may be incorrect. Verify anything you read before acting on it to protect yourself because you are responsible for any action you consequently make... DYOR, YMMV etc.
  • WLewer98
    Options
    Can anyone advise on banks that do soft searches other than Starling or Monzo? I have used them both recently for bank switch offers. Does Metro bank really do a soft search? TIA

"Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it"
  • WillPS
    Options
    How long does it usually take for a hard search to appear on the credit record please?
    It'll be recorded as soon as it is undertaken, with some banks that'll be immediately (during application), with some it might be part of a manual process in the days (or weeks potentially with HSBC!) following.

It'll then show as soon as whatever you're using to view your credit report updates - somewhere between weekly and monthly.
  • WillPS
    Options
    WLewer98 said:
    Can anyone advise on banks that do soft searches other than Starling or Monzo? I have used them both recently for bank switch offers. Does Metro bank really do a soft search? TIA
    If you have any existing Halifax, Lloyds or Bank of Scotland current accounts you will usually find opening another with the same brand as an existing customer does not result in a hard check.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback