🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

List of banks with hard vs soft searches for current accounts

Options

Comments

• pecunianonolet
    Options
    Thanks all for your contributions!

twadds123 said:
    twadds123 said:
    RBS was no hard search for a 2nd account as an existing current account holder
    Thanks, made the note on p1

@pecunianonolet just double checked as advised by another poster.  RBS did do a hard search for a 2nd account, please accept my apologies for the incorrect information, i had missed checking equifax report

RBS details updated.
  • theonenonly
    Options
    Can you open a starling account if you had one opened a year ago to make a switch?
  • pecunianonolet
    Options
    Can you open a starling account if you had one opened a year ago to make a switch?
    I think Starling is blocking you for some time before you can apply for an account again after a switch but not sure for how long.
  • Zaul22
    Zaul22 Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 3 February 2023 at 11:39PM
    Options
    The ones that say they will only run a hard search for the first account... If I have already closed all my accounts with them and reopen a new one I assume that will count as the first one again, or could they remember who I am?
  • pecunianonolet
    pecunianonolet Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 3 February 2023 at 11:42PM
    Options
    Zaul22 said:
    The ones that say they will only run a hard search for the first account... If I have already closed all my accounts with them and reopen a new one I assume that will count as the first one again, or could they remember who I am?
    Would assume it counts as new account and therefore better to think worst case and expect a hard search.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 10 February 2023 at 10:32AM
    Options
    Managed to earn myself an unnecessary hard search by doing an exploratory current account application with Ulster Bank.

Was curious to know if I could open an account while in GB (rather than NI). Not able to proceed while physically located in GB but got as far as Id checks if VPNing from Paris. Didn't proceed with application. 
  • pecunianonolet
    Options
    Managed to earn myself an unnecessary hard search by doing an exploratory current account application with Ulster Bank.

Was curious to know if I could open an account while in GB (rather than NI). Not able to proceed while physically located in GB but got as far as Id checks if VPNing from Paris. Didn't proceed with application. 
    You could as well have taken the account ad switch it away at some point. Added it to the list on p1
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 February 2023 at 10:41AM
    Options

I opened an account with Ulster in November last year and I'm in GB not NI.  From memory many others have done so too.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options

You could as well have taken the account ad switch it away at some point. Added it to the list on p1
    Could find nothing in the T&C about physical location/home address restrictions on account opening requirements but they were making it so tricky that I figured it might be restricted at a later stage of the application. 

Just a bit cautious around NatWest Group bank accounts for switching, my main account has been with them for > 35 years and I've been staying away from using them for burners.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,628 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 10 February 2023 at 11:00AM
    Options
    Zanderman said:

I opened an account with Ulster in November last year and I'm in GB not NI.  From memory many others have done so too.

Same. When I got the 'introductory' call from the nice lady in Belfast she was trying to set up an appointment for me at Natwest in Nottingham, so clearly a process their scripts accommodate.

Might be worth ringing to see if the application can still be completed so you at least get an account out of it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure