Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    trient said:
    Page 1 updated with recent info. 
    Kroo is not part of CASS either.
    https://help.kroo.com/en/articles/6510769-is-kroo-part-of-the-7-day-current-account-switching-service

And I stand by my comment that Metro run hard credit checks. See https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/about-us/privacy/#credit-reference

Credit reference agencies will record details of your application and the search will form part of your credit history. This will happen whether or not you go ahead with your application. These details will be seen by other organisations that examine your record.

That is the very definition of a hard check. 
    Definetly no hard search for me with Metro 2 weeks ago. Had the account for exactly 9 days only. Took 2 days from date of opening to get the debit card, initiated a switch on the same day and account gone after 7. No hard search on any credit file. Maybe you had a hard search because you applied for an overdraft? Added CASS info on page 1

Some files are only updated once a month
  • ForumUser7
    ForumUser7 Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    @pecunianonolet Is the Halifax definitely no further searches after the initial application? They’ve just told me they do a search for each application - apart from maturing accounts (i.e expresscash into standard current account)
    If you want me to definitely see your reply, please tag me @forumuser7 Thank you.

N.B. (Amended from Forum Rules): You must investigate, and check several times, before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my content, as nothing I post is advice, rather it is personal opinion and is solely for discussion purposes. I research before my posts, and I never intend to share anything that is misleading, misinforming, or out of date, but don't rely on everything you read. Some of the information changes quickly, is my own opinion or may be incorrect. Verify anything you read before acting on it to protect yourself because you are responsible for any action you consequently make... DYOR, YMMV etc.
  • Bridlington1
    Bridlington1 Posts: 2,559 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    @pecunianonolet Is the Halifax definitely no further searches after the initial application? They’ve just told me they do a search for each application - apart from maturing accounts (i.e expresscash into standard current account)
    It's true. I opened an expresscash account back in 2019. Since then I've opened a further 3 reward accounts, 4 standard current accounts and applied for an overdraft. I've yet to have a single hard search. Lloyds and Bank of Scotland only hard searched me for the first current account I opened with them. This is one of the reasons why LBG banks make such good burner accounts for bank switching.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 3 February 2023 at 8:36AM
    Options
    twadds123 said:
    RBS was no hard search for a 2nd account as an existing current account holder
    All NatWest Group banks  definitely do a hard search on every account application. Have you checked all three credit files? Did you leave it at least a month to check?

Only exception to hard search on second account are LBG. 
  • andyhicks88
    Options
    With additional Halifax accounts does it make a difference if the additional one you are opening is a different type of account? So I have a Reward one at the minute, if i tried opening a standard one to then switch away from, it would still be a soft search?
  • adamp87
    adamp87 Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    With additional Halifax accounts does it make a difference if the additional one you are opening is a different type of account? So I have a Reward one at the minute, if i tried opening a standard one to then switch away from, it would still be a soft search?
    Whenever I’ve opened another account with Halifax (normal/reward) I’ve not had a hard search. Neither for a credit card with Lloyds as a customer but there’s always the possibility I guess 
  • Lily78_2
    Lily78_2 Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, 
    Thanks for thread. 

I have a question linked to this hard vs soft searches and opening new 'burner' accounts (ie current accounts solely for purpose of switching them if I got that right)... 

I have move about 1 year ago (in 2 weeks) in new home (that I own) after 10years at same address (rental) - will that prevent / delay me for opening bank account ?

Asking as just looked at Metro website, as many seem to say it is easy and fast, and this is what it says to open online: 
    "Open your account online You can join the revolution from anywhere in the UK with your email address, mobile number, a photo ID, device with a camera that is at least 4 megapixels and 3 years of address history. You must be a UK, EU or Swiss national."

Thanks

• twadds123
    twadds123 Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 March at 4:36PM
    Options
    twadds123 said:
    All NatWest Group banks  definitely do a hard search on every account application. Have you checked all three credit files? Did you leave it at least a month to check?

Only exception to hard search on second account are LBG. 
    Apologies you are correct.  just checked them all and a hard search on Equifax only.
    no transunion search and a soft search on Experian, odd

but please OP update the original post that i was incorrect and RBS did do a hard search for a second account

• twadds123
    Options
    twadds123 said:
    Thanks, made the note on p1

@pecunianonolet just double checked as advised by another poster.  RBS did do a hard search for a 2nd account, please accept my apologies for the incorrect information, i had missed checking equifax report

• flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    Lily78_2 said:
    Hi all, 
    Thanks for thread. 

I have a question linked to this hard vs soft searches and opening new 'burner' accounts (ie current accounts solely for purpose of switching them if I got that right)... 

I have move about 1 year ago (in 2 weeks) in new home (that I own) after 10years at same address (rental) - will that prevent / delay me for opening bank account ?

Asking as just looked at Metro website, as many seem to say it is easy and fast, and this is what it says to open online: 
    "Open your account online You can join the revolution from anywhere in the UK with your email address, mobile number, a photo ID, device with a camera that is at least 4 megapixels and 3 years of address history. You must be a UK, EU or Swiss national."

Thanks

The address history will be fine if you had "history" at the two addresses, that is, your name on the electoral register, utility company accounts in your name, driving licence (if you have one) shows your current address etc 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback