supermarket curries ready meals cheapest way to get chicken soft.

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    jvjack said:
    Recap . Trying to get chicken soft in supermarket ready meal using microwave.
    I've eaten dozens of these cook-chill curries. Some I've reheated in the oven, others I've microwaved. They never take any longer than the instructions and sometimes when microwaving they're done sooner.
    If you're finding them tough, I agree with the earlier poster who said the problem isn't the meal - it's your teeth.

Alternatively, you could try buying a can of curry (already cooked, safe to eat cold from the can if you don't want to warm it up) and a pouch of rice. Example:
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/307752613
    (Other supermarkets are available).
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • jvjack
    jvjack Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    yes. 45 mins to get chicken soft. Otherwise like rubber.
    I'm thinking the microwave is too low at that wattage to do it. If its 650w as on back then that might be reason.
  • To be honest I think the low Wattage is the reason the chicken wasn't cremated after 45mins!

I'm not reading back all through the thread but have you had the same microwave all the time you've been having a problem with the chicken?  I wonder if maybe it's actually just not working properly.  We've had a 700W before and even that dried things out if you put them on for too long.
  • Not forgetting a badly working microwave is probably microwaving everything outside and not inside the microwave.

Have you noticed any strange growths recently?
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    One other thought: you can see if your microwave is knackered by measuring how long it takes to boil half a litre of water in a covered microwaveable bowl.
    A 650 watt microwave, ideally, will boil half a litre of water in about five minutes. Allowing for heat loss from the microwave, and having to heat the bowl as well, it's more likely to take six minutes. If it takes much longer than this, your microwave could be past it.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • jvjack
    OrizB no wind up. Promise you. The chichen does not soften to be edible in the times specified in either microwave or gas oven in my case.
    Will try the water boil test tomorrow
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,147 Forumite
    How soft are you expecting it to get? Literally dissolving in your mouth?
  • Krakkkers
    Krakkkers Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Reading back, you have tried a conventional oven for an hour at 240c as well.
    I think the problem is what you want rather than the microwave or oven being at fault.
    Most people would think the food was destroyed after an hour at 240c or 45 mins in a microwave.
  • jvjack
    spoonie_turtle. yes. Have tried doing in the specified timed but the chicken is like rubber. 
    MFB no growths
    I think i'm going to have to get a new one , a 900w and test. If that doesnt do it it's me.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback