supermarket curries ready meals cheapest way to get chicken soft.

Options

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,382 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 November 2023 at 7:52PM
    Options
    jvjack said:

Read on temerature enthusiacs site  "Microwave wattages range from 500 to as high as 1,200. Anything lower than 700 is not ideal for cooking, as it will struggle to heat food evenly." 
    I would say it's the opposite.
    If the food contains quite a lot of water, then the microwaves will only penetrate about 1cm into the food.  Cook it on a high wattage oven, and you'll end up over-cooking the outside while the inside is still raw.  Better to cook it slower for longer, at a lower power, so the heat has time to reach the middle.

If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • dealyboy
    dealyboy Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hilarity aside the first post by the OP does quote energy of microwave in (w) and no different from the air fryer type posts.

However is there a troll/humour section of the board?
    ... No, but ...  :)

May I refer you to this 'Announcement' thread ... https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80430377/#Comment_80430377.
  • Middle_of_the_Road
    Options
    Krakkkers said:
    I like this thread, he has tried 45 mins in a microwave and he has tried an hour at 240 celcius !!!!!.
    I am waiting to see what he does next, probably nuclear weapons.
    Priceless😂. needed a good laugh. 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Do we need to introduce Jack to earthquake Luke?
    Sadly, Earthquake Luke's thread seems to have gone AWOL.
    Said gentleman was looking for an earthquake-proof home in the UK, and was outraged that the UK's building regulations don't require all homes to resist magnitude 7+ earthquakes.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,860 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 2 December 2023 at 12:55AM
    Options
    You can cook a chicken curry from scratch in 20 mins on the hob, but hey let’s keep the thread going.
    or perhaps widen it to include lamb korma  B)

Edited or a veggie curry
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • jvjack
    jvjack Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Good idea , looks easy enough.  Will pick up the ingredients as i'm entertaining next week. 
    Shame that earthquake thread has gone missing. Maybe would have learnt something about myself by the sound of it.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Pick the chicken out and boil it for 10 min, if its still hard you know its the chicken or the way they cooked it.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,650 Forumite
    Options
    Suggest buying a thermometer to check the temperature and making sure gas jets in the oven are clean. Your oven thermostat could be faulty, especially if the cooker is pretty old. 
  • jvjack
    jvjack Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. Yes have already tested oven with ebay thermometer and it's fine. Adding water each time when i thought chicken wasn't soft enough lead to those long times.  And the water test showed the microwave ok
    So think i've gone down a rabbit hole and am getting out of it after reading all comments. Quite looking forward to having a go at cooking one myself.

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,348 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    jvjack said:
    Thank you. Yes have already tested oven with ebay thermometer and it's fine. Adding water each time when i thought chicken wasn't soft enough lead to those long times.  And the water test showed the microwave ok
    So think i've gone down a rabbit hole and am getting out of it after reading all comments. Quite looking forward to having a go at cooking one myself.

Do yourself a favour and buy a cheap slow cooker, bung chicken in on low in the norming, by evening it will be dropping off the bone and as soft as a baby's bum

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback