We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

1% challenge 2023

1…99100101102104

Comments

  • Anagran
    Anagran Posts: 220 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Hi, I would love to join this challenge to help me pay off a loan. The total is £12300 so my 1% would be £123.

  • NeverendingDMP
    NeverendingDMP Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Sounds fab. Good luck with paying it off. The first percent will be done before you know it

    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213

    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Sept 26- just under 62k

    June 25 Debts in my name were £5170. Now 6122 (Oct 26)
    DH debts ?? at a guess £15k
  • Anagran
    Anagran Posts: 220 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 14 June at 8:21PM

    I have made it to my first 1% a lot quicker than I expected, mainly thanks to receiving £100 for the Nationwide fair share, but also a bit of interest and cashback. My total is £123.80.

  • NeverendingDMP
    NeverendingDMP Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213

    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Sept 26- just under 62k

    June 25 Debts in my name were £5170. Now 6122 (Oct 26)
    DH debts ?? at a guess £15k
  • Anagran
    Anagran Posts: 220 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    How is everyone getting on? I have been slowly getting little bits and pieces. Made another 1% in interest, surveys, selling a few things etc. Then today my Coop switch bonus came though so that is my 3rd 1%. Hope everyone else is making good progress.

  • craftingmad
    craftingmad Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Hi everyone,

    Great to see progress being made.

    I've been missing in action for a while as we found out my mum's cancer is spreading fast and affecting her heart so we know we have to enjoy every moment we can together while we can. She has already made it past the one month stage (we were told possibly only 2 weeks to 6 months) so everyday is a bonus which we will not be wasting but it's really knocked me for six and I feel stupid as I have already started the grieving process I think. Luckily at the moment she is not in too much pain as the morphine patches are doing their job so we are trying to visit as much as we can and enjoy the little things together.

    I am going to try and restart this challenge just to give me something else to focus on. My progress will undoubtably be very slow but I think it will help me and my mental health.

    Mortgage - £2338.07 paid off Feb 2023 BTL 1 £51,089.10 £35789.36 paid off July 2025 BTL 2 £81,504.52 paid off March 2026 BTL 3 £77,497.02
  • CM

    so sorry to hear about your mum's illness. hopefully an external focus will assist. take care

    June 2026, Mortgage free, Emergency fund fully funded & £200/200 cash maximum pb holding .:jWeight 12st challenge 11st 2lb

    Gift to children challenge £40k in 2 years. Short term gift challenge 7 presents and $1300 can by September.

    Determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection. I’m not perfect but I’m good enough.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6673398/hopefully-cruising-with-focus-towards-retirement#latest
  • #no 3 Debts off by Xmas 2026 £1500/£12,500 (40000 paid restart)
    NSD Oct
    #no 13 365 days 1p challenge 2026 Jan Feb March April May June July paid 
    #no 2 £2 coin savers challenge 2026
     #no 11 SPC 19 £44 banked restart
    2026 PAD challenge  £12,500
    1% challenge = £12,500
    1% - £125 12% 

    loan 6% £11000

  • NeverendingDMP
    NeverendingDMP Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I'm sorry to hear your mum is unwell. It's a cruel disease but it sounds like the right people are helping to make sure she has the morphine and meds she needs. Thinking of you all

    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213

    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Sept 26- just under 62k

    June 25 Debts in my name were £5170. Now 6122 (Oct 26)
    DH debts ?? at a guess £15k
  • NeverendingDMP
    NeverendingDMP Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Well done on your next 1%'s Anagram I'm honestly going even further backwards every time I look. Two of my kids are starting highschool this time so I have been v spendy on uniforms and kit that they need (although thankfully only four items can be specified as branded ones now). The car also needs work and it's glasses season for the three kids. I've staggered the APTS over three months but it still stings. I've ripped through the savings now I'm on the overdraft. Whoops. I've planned it badly. Need to get back on board and accountable 😂

    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213

    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Sept 26- just under 62k

    June 25 Debts in my name were £5170. Now 6122 (Oct 26)
    DH debts ?? at a guess £15k
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.