We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage Free now aiming for FIRE

Options

Comments

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi TG

Have you tried a standing desk?  I started standing up and working around 5 years ago because sitting and using a computer hurt my shoulder.

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,630 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi SuzieSue I haven't actually we do have them at HQ and I used to have to sit at them as they were the only adjustable ones. I do sit really hunched over to reading this has made me sit up straight thank you. 

Today is mega busy with calls but it is Friday which is amazing. Sun is out and we have now had our pool equipment box filled with cement and they gave me £20 back so that was a win already. Sorted my expenses got £4 just for driving my car to the next station on Wednesday so that is not bad either. 

Diet still going well did have boiled egg on toast this morning but then small lunch and snack for dinner. Don't even miss the alcohol. 

More sewing needed now DG has two pairs of trousers she can now fit into so needs taking up. I got a load of yoga pants my mums tailor made sadly the back seam is not strong enough so I need to go over all of them to make sure they do not end up with loads of little holes. Not a good look for showing your knickers.

Might treat myself to a Costa tonight as you get a free one next week. However if I forget to buy it next week it is kind of wasted so need to think. Only really fun when you can sit in and drink it and not sure I am going anywhere next week. 

Still best get back to work waiting for a call to start but the other person is stuck on a call. 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Jun £30K + £12K added to pension & £1850 withdrawn) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125 May £0) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2026 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Options
    Evening been an ice chilled day today. Done some bulk cooking 12 portions of cottage pie with veg mash. Used up old red onions, parsnips and carrot from bottom of fridge. Also used some tinned tomatoes that has been around for a while. 

Went to a few charity shops to look for a lazy Susan for our fondue parties. Sadly no luck but got 6 roll of thread for &2 bargain same as I’ve just paid for 1. 

Lovely sunshine so went to the beach got my free monthly Greggs coffee from Confused.com. No Costa was open but got free one waiting as I did buy one yesterday. 

Bit of telly watching tonight then sewing tomorrow. Hope you’ve all had a nice day. 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Jun £30K + £12K added to pension & £1850 withdrawn) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125 May £0) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2026 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Wow 12 portions ! that's impressive
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
  • TallGirl
    Options
    Wow 12 portions ! that's impressive
    We eat quite small portions but the freezers are now rammed full. 

Suziesue thanks for the desk suggestion looks good. 

Weigh in today (friend is running it for charity) lost a tiny amount but wasn’t great Weds and last night some chocolate got consumed. 

Today is sewing dg playing golf yes I should too but I want to sort some stuff out inside. 

Salary waiting in account looks like I’ve got £350 spare but will put that back into savings as I did draw on them for pool equipment. 

Enjoy your Sunday 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Options
    Morning hope you are all well. No sunshine to be grateful for this morning but I spoke to my sister last night and slightly better news on our parents in hospital. My dad is so hard of hearing my sister struggled to make out what was wrong with him but we think a mini stroke as he cannot really use his left arm at the moment. His partner has slight dementia so it is quite hard but my sister is speaking to her today so will know more. My mum is still struggling to recover from gallstone operations. Her kidneys are not working so she is retaining fluid which is affecting the heart and her Addison. Not good but she sounds more cheerful today. My sister will go over and see them Thursday and stay at my mums house the whole weekend too. They might even be out by then fingers crossed. Elderly parents are such a worry and this is very unusual for me as they are normally quite fit but they are 86 and 79 so to be expected.

In money saving news I got paid yesterday, they have reduced my wages by £85 to pay for my weeks extra leave. My manager has now approved my 9 and 7 days leave back to back not ideal but we think I can do it. I topped up my Monzo easy access with £200 and then £300 will go into 1stDirect for the 7% regular saver and £500 in premium bonds that for my £12K in 2023. 

I also have £290 left over so stuffed that in my savings pot which holds last years savings. There was £6000 in there but with Christmas and the two holidays it is now down to £3522 which will more than pay for my golf club membership which is fine. I also found £180 sitting in PayPal so now my spending account is topped up but I will need cash for Gambia as you cannot really withdraw money and they prefer £. We are planning on taking joint £50 a day for food and drink (it is breakfast only) and then take our own separate funds for massages etc. We save £150 a month in a holiday fund and there is nearly £1000 in there so more than enough plus for the Spanish trip too. 

Anyway best get back to work must remember to buy my free Costa Coffee it expires Thursday. Also need to go to the bank and change over some old notes my dad gave me a Christmas. 

Just a quick to do list:
    Order malaria tablets for trip
    Write out luggage tags
    Buy Costa 
    Get cash out of bank
    Exchange old notes  
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Options
    Work is a bit manic so quick update today.

More spending might be needed, fridge freezer in outbuilding not freezing properly. It is 8 years old and we have de-iced it however DG turned it down instead of up so might still be ok. Would be handy not to have to buy new. They were £120 now £170 8 years later for cheapest. 

The HIVE app is not working so have to do the heating manually but that should be ok if we reset in the loft later today. Really hope so as we usually have it on boost rather than just on or off or even pre-set. 

I am going to buy my free Costa today when I need to go out for work to another town. I cannot claim in expenses so actually quite perfect really. 

Did ask the pension boards about my Wealth Manager after my IFA retired. I got some really good answers so need to find out the exact fees so I can compare with independent one and also doing it myself. It is a bit scary but I am really interested in that kind of thing.

My dad is out of hospital so that is good my sister will see him tomorrow evening. My mum is still in but she is feeling better. Will be good to have my sister there and she can stay almost a week so can help especially my mum who lives alone.  

Still not done anything on the to do list and added more:

Write out luggage tags
    Buy Costa - will happen today.
    Get cash out of bank
    Exchange old notes  
    Check if we have suntan lotion in loft
    Re-set HIVE 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Options
    Write out luggage tags
    Buy Costa - will happen today.
    Get cash out of bank
    Exchange old notes  
    Check if we have suntan lotion in loft - done and found some incl insect spray so no need to buy
    Re-set HIVE - done but app still not working 

Fridge Freezer actually works so happy expense spared. 

Another win today is seeing friend this weekend agreed to come here for a meal Sunday early afternoon so no drinking and feeling crap the next day plus keep no spend going. 

Expense of £10 donation to friends dry January.

Looked at my NS&I 3 year bond which matures in April it pays 1.70% but I get 1.75% with Monzo. Tempted to cash it in April and find a better home for it or look what they offer me when it renews. Been good when the rates we low as its paid £55 a year so far. 

Right train ticket needs to be bought as I am off soon. 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure