We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage Free now aiming for FIRE

Options

Comments

• vandanfc
    vandanfc Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Needs must sometimes. 😜
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,628 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes I do still need to order it so I can have it for my weekends sewing session. 

Busy day again at work working on some tough cases so not easy but learning as I go along. 

No spend today which is nice but I have not left the house nor had time to shop online. 

Did look at our gas and electric bills that just makes for such grim reading. December was our highest ever both over £200 each but we do pay £250 per month and have credit so hopefully be ok. I am trying to save energy and as soon as the sun is on the house the triple glazing is doing a great job. Only need the heating on when not sunny but having a hot tub is not a cheap thing obviously. Also spent £350 on a new filter and multi valve for the swimming pool. Our pool guy is really good he got us one he had lying around that was new so saved some money and it will be far more efficient to replace all the old stuff. 

Anyway not a lot of interesting stuff to report so will end here and get off to the gym. Session 4 and 5 of the week tonight and my legs are really sort from the dreaded DOMS. Hopefully this will make it better.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Jun £30K + £12K added to pension & £1850 withdrawn) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125 May £0) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2026 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Options
    Caved in and spent £35 on a new iron. It is just a normal one but was half price and delivered by Amazon today still no ironing board but as VandaFC pointed out I do not need it and I think we have a small one in the loft. Now I am all set up for doing the sewing at the weekend when DG is away. Means I can make as much mess as I want really. 

Didn't make it to the 9am class today but are going tonight at 6pm so that will still be 6 classes this week or just under 5 hours of exercise I think that is good for 4 days. 

Work is still busy and I am struggling a little bit but it is always uncomfortable to have to learn a lot in a short space of time. I am looking forward to going up to HQ next week and meeting the whole team for the day. That will actually be quite nice as we have not been together for a long time as our xmas one was cancelled due to train strikes. 

Taken money out of our joint account to pay off my credit card which is where I paid the parking for the holidays. Still no news on the cruise or trip over here from my sister. I bet my mum is eager to find out but I know what she is like so best just to leave it until she is ready. There are 4 of them that needs to decide so we shall see. 

Best get back to work 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Jun £30K + £12K added to pension & £1850 withdrawn) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125 May £0) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2026 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ironing boards are quite useful.  I haven't used mine as an ironing board since before the first lockdown, but it is very good for putting a jigsaw board on if you get one that goes high enough (it saves the backache from sitting leaning forwards).
  • TallGirl
    Options
    Done a bit more spending and money shuffling. 

Paid the rest off my credit card off £335 mainly from Christmas so all clear now. 

Put £200 into a pot in Monzo ready for the 2023 challenge. That's £1000 saved for January. 

Spent £3.95 of the Gruum sleep set from MSE email I've had the other kits and they are really good for travel and wanted a sleep spray in travel size. Last ages too just a bit messy to get in and out of boxes when wet. 

Bad memory I've still not bought an iron board lol as tempted as I might be I don't actually iron anything other than when I'm sewing. 

Gym tonight going to leave soon so horrible outside. 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Options
    Did go to the gym and glad I did that is 6 session or just under 5 hours I think that is pretty good going in 4 days. Now off until Monday but will play golf Sunday. 

So glad it is Friday was due to have a zoom call with a colleague but her dad is really ill so had to go to see them instead. Life is really short and I am glad she has her priorities right. We are not that busy that this meeting cannot wait only issue is she is off next week and we need to plan for a joint meeting. 

My iron did arrive yesterday still to use it obviously. 

DG is off this afternoon so have the whole evening and all of tomorrow to sew until she is back late. Really look forward to it might even get some gardening down if the weather is kind. Not that it has been so depressing. 

Done my expenses £8 to drive to that office this week and will be another trip soon as well. I have also got a much longer trip (4 hour drive) at the end of February so nice little profit there was I wont go over the 10K mileage limit this year. 

Checked my annual leave and I have got an extra day for having been there 3 years. Very happy with that and I joined in Oct so didn't have to wait long for that to be added. They then give you 1 day extra for the next 4 year that is very kind. Something to make me grateful this year plus I am buying an extra weeks leave. Manager still has not approved my massive amount of leave off in Feb/Mar. Will need to chase it but seeing her next week so might wait. 

Another thing of be grateful for is the sun coming into the office so no heating and nice and warm. 

Save £12k in 24 No 50

• Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Great to catch up with your new diary - I can't remember the last time I ironed  :* 
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • TallGirl
    Options
    In other finance news it's an expensive month as pool guy has now delivered the £350 multiport and filter plus he's got someone to level the ground in the pool housing (sounds so grand it's a hole in the ground with a lid on it). That's £200 and then there's his labour to fit it which isn't a big part but I do not know how much yet. There is £95 in maintenance one current account is very low the other has about £400 in it but that's for food etc for rest of the month. 

We are not going out or doing anything fancy so if we stay of the spending I can use the some of the money that I have myself in maintenance to cover it as dg has no income so cannot pay anything. She will start earning at some point just not yet as her cases takes forever to settle. 

Off to have mooch on other diaries now. 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done on the place mats, they look great!
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current May 35

Mortgage OP 2024 £3250/7000

Mortgage balance: £50162

Make £100 extra a month: June £218. Boiler £376/2000

47 pay days until freedom!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts