Tesco BOGOF

Comments

• mrsausages
    mrsausages Posts: 17 Forumite
    When I worked for Sainsbury's 2 or 3 year ago we were asked to push "Special Coupons" (the Sainsbury's name for raincheck vouchers) whenever an offer was out of stock. As it wasn't a well known service customers were usually delighted. The system was at that time slightly different as the point was to send the customer away with an equivalent offer at that visit. For example if a 24 pack of Jaffa Cakes was on BOGOF and we were out, we could use the vouchers to give four 12 packs for the price of one 24 pack, or if Persil washing powder was on half price we could give Aerial at half price instead.

I assume it is still the same, but I try and avoid talking to the people who work there.

Peter.
  • Nush
    Nush Posts: 32 Forumite
    I work for Tesco and did not know about this.. They seem to like keeping alot of information a need to know basis!!!!

Thanks for letting us know.

Nush
    Bout Ye!!!

Nush
  • kimmie35
    kimmie35 Posts: 27 Forumite
    I work for Tesco as well as a night assistant..... Did any of you actually ask the day staff to check out the back to see if there is any on the backstock cages! Oh just thought of something maybe not a good idea as the day staff dont seem to know what that is!!!!!!

Ok !!!!! over......... :p
  • mike_paterson
    mike_paterson Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A few weeks ago I was in a local Sainsbury and they had a special offer on 75cl bottles of Pimms. Unfortunately there were none on the shelf. I asked the assistant if there were any 'out the back' and he came back and said sorry no. He then said that he could let me have a litre bottle for the same price as the discounted 75cl bottle and that he would give me a slip to take to the checkout to knock about £5 off the bottle price. He then asked me how many bottles I was wanting to buy so that I could have them all at the cheap price - I was still in shock otherwise I would have bought another couple (hopeful of a great summer) !
    To infinity and beyond!
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    A while ago I went to sainsburys to buy 2 pizza which were on BOGOF, 2 for £2.99. As usual they had run out and all that was left was the larger size for £3 something each. I didnt really want to buy the 2 bigger sizes for £6 odd, apart from the size/waste/waist problem it was over £3 more than I came in to spend. So I asked to see a mananger and explained the problem to him. I then said what can we do about it, making it a shared problem we both had a chance of sorting out. So he gave me a slip to go through the till. I went away with two large pizzas for the BOGOF price of the smaller ones for £2.99.
    Result!

mary

mrsausages wrote:
    When I worked for Sainsbury's 2 or 3 year ago we were asked to push "Special Coupons" (the Sainsbury's name for raincheck vouchers) whenever an offer was out of stock. As it wasn't a well known service customers were usually delighted. The system was at that time slightly different as the point was to send the customer away with an equivalent offer at that visit. For example if a 24 pack of Jaffa Cakes was on BOGOF and we were out, we could use the vouchers to give four 12 packs for the price of one 24 pack, or if Persil washing powder was on half price we could give Aerial at half price instead.

I assume it is still the same, but I try and avoid talking to the people who work there.

Peter.
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • IanD
    IanD Posts: 57 Forumite
    blue-kat wrote:
    I was wondering if tesco online shoppers can have this too?

According to Tesco's help line, like other Tesco instore offers (eg 5p off a litre of fuel if you spend £50) raincheck vouchers are not available to on-line shoppers. If they're out of stock then it's simply tough luck. However, if items are BOGOF or 3-4-2 or any other offer and they don't send enough for you to take advantage of the offer, a quick e-mail to customer services (don't bother phoning) will result in a refund of the value of the offer. Sometimes, you even get the items you received for free as well.
  • Wow! I never knew they did these vouchers. i'll be sure to ask for them next time I want something that's on offer and it's not available. Thanks for the post.
  • I think I may be able to shed some light on these things!

Firstly if its not on the shelf, ask someone. All staff should help you find what youre looking for or find someone who can help. If it turns out that they can't find what you want, then ask for a customer promise voucher, or rainchack voucher, as has already been discussed. These are for use AFTER the promotion has finished, so you can continue to benefit from the same offer when it has finished. The only sorts of things this doesn't work on is some non food special purchase lines, where the stock cannot be garunteed in the future. If the member of staff you have found doesn't know about the vouchers, (and to be honest the shopfloor staff don't always have access to them), then be sure to ask at the checkouts when you arrive. This way, by the time you have had your shopping put through, a team leader or manager should be back with a voucher or vouchers for you. Tesco have a bulk purchasing policy fo 12 or over, so this is really the maximum you can ask for. I would say the main reason why they aren't actively promoted and given out is because of the time it takes to fill the things in. You have to have one voucher for each item and it is very tedious filling them in. Don't forget that with all the wine offers (and bottled beer singles) its worth buying 6 to get the extra 5% off.

While .com shoppers can't benefit from this, all you need to do to ensure you get the offer is to put a note on saying "Offer Only". It can be very hard to substitute products for someone when you aren't given much of a clue. For instance if someone ordered 2 cheese pizzas in an offer, and there weren't any on the shelf do you sub with a different cheese one (person may be veggie) or sub with a pepperoni one in the same offer?

If all else fails customer service desk can help you (they tend to be the main custodians of said vouchers), if they're less than helpful - just have a quick word with their boss ;)

Hope this helps!
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    thanks to ScarletStarlet for highly informative post !
    will follow your excellent tip for online orders by making 'offer only' on BOGOFs etc.:beer:

I am impressed by tesco cust. services for online food shopping. I don't like to make a big fuss about small things as don't want to marked down as a complainer - even if justified ! I made lots of TRUE + VALID complaints about sains online, but CS were bit odd with me. In the end I voted with my mouse and don't use sains2u anymore.
    -
    blue-kat
  • Well kimmie35 you night team obviously continue to be bitter and twisted out of working hours too. why am i not surprised!!!! your comments are so unfair have you ever worked a day shift - at least you can work without interruption most of your shift you dont get that many customers compared to day staff i bet your not called to the tills several times during the night you are left to it most of the time so yes it does seem like you guys get more done - but it works both ways , day team are aware of backstock of course they are they usually have to help stock controllers find stuff thats offsale due to not being filled or inaccurate count cards, day teams turn to gripe. I really don't know what you wish to achieve by your unecessary swipe at your co-workers but obviously you feel you have something to get off your chest..
    i'm living in a parallel universe
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport